Subaru Outback Forums banner

1901 - 1920 of 1930 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, my name is Danny and I wanted to introduce myself and my new to me 2005 Subaru Outback XT. Its originally a Florida car that was brought up to New England by a previous owner. It has only 72000 Miles and has had a new longblock and OEM Turbo in the last 8K. This is my first Subaru so Im looking forward to learning from the community and slowly moddifying things.

I currently have the jdm double din set coming from Japan for my Alpine ilx207

I did an interior led swap as the original bulbs were pretty dim and on their way out.

I would like to get a Cobb Accessport with the supporting mods to run a stage 1 setup, but will wait until I come across them used on forums/facebook marketplace.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
238 Posts
It's beautiful :) Congratulations

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all! 2nd post on this forum (first was a question). Picked up a 2006 XT Turbo with a broken connecting rod and 105K miles. Had a give $1K for it, but I figured it was worth taking the risk. I guess that is yet to be seen. Dropped a junkyard motor in it and a couple rear hubs, and now just trying to work out an oil leak on the top of the engine. Looks like it's coming from the crankcase breather hose (99071AC220?). Other than that, car seems to be really well cared for. Looking forward to wrenching on it some more. As easy as the engine was to remove, I hope the rest of it is that easy too.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5l AT and LPG fueled
28 Posts
This reminds me on my last Sweden trip where I saw dozens of Volvos 😜 with these extra front lights. Am super curious about their specs and power. They look like they could illuminate a football field - or at least Swedish winter roads. Night pics would be awesome, Pellepe!

Is the engine a flex fuel engine so it can run on Ethanol?

Regards

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5L 4AT
18 Posts
This reminds me on my last Sweden trip where I saw dozens of Volvos 😜 with these extra front lights. Am super curious about their specs and power. They look like they could illuminate a football field - or at least Swedish winter roads. Night pics would be awesome, Pellepe!

Is the engine a flex fuel engine so it can run on Ethanol?

Regards
Yeah they make it a real joy driving during the dark winter times! I'll try to get the specs for the lights, and also some pics when i use them, but it could take a while before i drive in darkness.. the days become longer and longer now.
It runs only on petrol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, my name is Marc, and I just wanted to introduce myself as a new 2006 XT limited owner. This is actually my 4th outback. I've had a 2014 Base model, 2017 Premium and a 2019 Premium. A recent change in financial situation required me to give up the 2019 for a 2006, with no payment. The 2006 is white with 121,000 miles. It's my first turbo and I love it. Never thought an outback would actually be FUN to drive!! The car is not perfect, leaks oil like most others, but i can deal with that for now.

·
Registered
2005 Outback, 5MT (hi/lo), 2"/2.5" lift
9 Posts
Hey all,

Just joined the forum. Have owned my 2005 Outback since 2010, but recently put a lift kit in it and some larger light ATs for a bit of light offroad fun. I couldn't go luggier ATs as I need the on road traction/performance for when I have to turn out to road crash rescues in the middle of the night, rain, hail, or shine.

Below is a pic of it out and about on the weekend after COVID restrictions lifted in Victoria, Australia, and before it got much much muddier. No, that's not its isolation mustache at the back, though that would be funny.

Anyway, I posted a query in the forum about the diffs and compensating for loss of traction/wheel slippage. Would appreciate it if someone could give me some insights. I will admit right here and now that I am not overly mechanically minded...

Rgds,
Brett.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited
1 Posts
New member, figured I'd sign up since I've found some good technical help here.

2005 with a manual. My first Subaru, came from a Cummins Dodge.

I'm the third owner and her first owner had a turbo failure and subsequent engine failure. This spring the catalytic converter in the up-pipe came apart and took out the turbo and converter in the downpipe. Installed a new turbo, Invidia catless downpipe, and AEM 340LPH fuel pump. My mechanic also gutted the rest of the cat from the up-pipe and removed the union screens from all but the turbo supply while he was digging around. Got it running with a Cobb Accessport and tuning from Eric at Torqued Performance who has it running a Stage 2 map. Car is not only quicker but getting the best fuel economy that I've seen in the year I've had it!

I'm getting my doctorate in physical therapy and in-between classes this summer I'm going to dip the whole car (Plasti Dip silver I had gotten for my Dodge), paint the wheels gunmetal, and get the windows tinted.

I've only ever driven 4wd trucks and have been very impressed with how this car handles every road condition. I had Les Schwab put on some siped Reputation all-season tires and this car is truly amazing on ice and snow. Very confident and is becoming my ideal adventure rig for outdoor fun.

·
Premium Member
'05 Outback XT Limited | JDM 2.0L | 5EAT w/SS | Stage 2
2 Posts
Hello, Subie Fam!! my name is Scott & I wanted to introduce myself & my '05 XT Limited 5EAT . This is my 3rd wagon & my 2nd Subie. (pics of all below) My first car was a '71 VW Squareback back 1989. After I had to sell that I was out of the wagon life until 2017 when I moved back up to my hometown of South Lake, CA. True Subaru country! My first Subie was an '04 White/Gold outback and at 270k I decided it was time to upgrade. I should point out I'm a rideshare driver & rack up the miles quicker than most. I picked up my '05 a little over 2yrs ago from my mechanic. He had dropped a JDM 2L w/ VF52 turbo in it. It was my 1st turbo car & was like a slow launching rocket and I loved it!

This past NYE a Ramos Oil gas delivery guy put Diesel gas in the Premium tanks at the local Safeway gas station and I happened to put over 5 gallons of diesel in my tank. Of course, the car ran rough and billowed white smoke for a day or so while I ran it through the system. Once I finally burned it through, the car had a knock. This incident made the news and I filed a claim w/ the Ramos insurance co. they ended up paying me $6,900 + lost wages to settle the claim. So, this time I decided to go with another JDM 2L but went with a VF38 Twin scroll turbo like the Legacy STIs from Japan. Such a big improvement on the low end although not as much power top end which I'm fine with. I finally decide to join here because I'm going to have questions and will try to contribute what I can to this community. I'm going to start with a radiator question so look for that post shortly as soon I find where best to post it. ✌

·
Registered
2005 suburu outback 2.5 xt
3 Posts
i just bought a 2005 outback 2.5 xt and i need good advice on swapping the engine for a budget of 2000 about give a thousand possibly

·
Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
68 Posts
Hello, Subie Fam!! my name is Scott & I wanted to introduce myself & my '05 XT Limited 5EAT . This is my 3rd wagon & my 2nd Subie. (pics of all below) My first car was a '71 VW Squareback back 1989.
HEY HEY! Fellow VW and Subie dude here! I still have my 1966 Deluxe bus (owned since 2002)!
IMG_E4317[1].JPG

Here's a photo of my 1998 Subaru Outback that just became old enough to drink! This one might end up being my son's when he starts driving next year. Not sure yet.
IMG_E4320[1].JPG

And here's the 2006 OBXT I just had shipped to me from Florida earlier this week. Can't wait to start making this car awesome. It's more a pile than I really wanted, but at least the body is decent.
IMG_4319[1].JPG

I've been wanting an LGT or OBXT for years, and finally bit the bullet and bought one!
Anyways, I'm just glad to be here!

·
Registered
05 XT manual turbo smart bov, H&R Springs w bilstein shocks, AEM cold intake
2 Posts
Hello.. Put a deposit on a 05 Outback xt manual. Seemed to strong for the test drive.. Hope it's a good car, bought as is.
I'm seeing it's a good first measure to change this oil line union screw thing as it\s probably clogged and can blow up the turbo? lol oh boy what did I get myself into.. I also read in these up pipes and cat fragments can come off and blow into the turbines to explode the turbo! greattttt

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Hello.. Put a deposit on a 05 Outback xt manual. Seemed to strong for the test drive.. Hope it's a good car, bought as is.
I'm seeing it's a good first measure to change this oil line union screw thing as it\s probably clogged and can blow up the turbo? lol oh boy what did I get myself into.. I also read in these up pipes and cat fragments can come off and blow into the turbines to explode the turbo! greattttt
Right, the banjo bolt filter. Congrats, the 3rd generation Outback is a special and sweet car if you can take care of it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum but had my 06 OBXT for a year or two now. Turbo started complaining a few months after I bought it (165k) so I did a new OEM turbo replacement and timing belt done. Hoping the mechanical bits last me a while now. I've fortunately got a great Subaru shop nearby that's done all the work and keeps an eye on it.

I mostly use the car for weekend camping trips in and around CA, and the crowded campgrounds have pushed me explore the back roads to get deeper into the woods and find the dispersed camp sites. I'll be getting a newer car to commute on later this year and plan to turn the XT into a small light-duty off grid camping rig. Just put a roof top tent on it and am designing a pull out kitchen system in the back with a 12V fridge. Will be removing the rear seats and optimizing for storage and electricals (Dual battery + Solar).

Eventual plans for a 1.5-2" lift and suspension + upgrade. Hope to do it myself while learning all the ins and outs of this thing so that I can keep i running for years to come. Anyone who's taken on beefing up a Gen3 Outback for off road use feel free to reach out, especially if you're in the SF Bay Area, would love to geek out on some ideas.

1901 - 1920 of 1930 Posts