Subaru Outback Forums banner

1921 - 1940 of 1948 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
85 Posts
Picked up my 09 XT last Friday. 5MT! Engine has been rebuilt so I can mostly rest easy on that front. Worked out a few kinks on my 1000mi trip home but still chasing some. Vac lines and such. Trying to get the engine performance where it should be, then I can move on to the things that need immediate attention.... Like suspension... Pretty sure every bushing on this car is original, and it now has 124k on it. Front struts feel a little soft, and front left creaks... Even when I get in and out. Looking forward to getting this thing in great shape!

·
Registered
2008 OBXT Limited 5MT
6 Posts
Just bought an 08 XT Limited 5MT with newly rebuilt engine and a whole bunch of goodies. More to follow on that.

The only things wrong with it are the classic evap system leak/gas cap loose code which has come on a couple times so I've got a new cap coming to see if that solves it, and I've got the vdc off light constantly illuminated with no other lights or codes shown via the accessport or the built in ecm/tcm/abs reader. Still have a couple things to try on that before having to take it to the dealership to read a vdc code.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
85 Posts
Just bought an 08 XT Limited 5MT with newly rebuilt engine and a whole bunch of goodies. More to follow on that.

The only things wrong with it are the classic evap system leak/gas cap loose code which has come on a couple times so I've got a new cap coming to see if that solves it, and I've got the vdc off light constantly illuminated with no other lights or codes shown via the accessport or the built in ecm/tcm/abs reader. Still have a couple things to try on that before having to take it to the dealership to read a vdc code.
Congrats on your purchase! Did you happen to pick this up south of Denver?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New owner as of 5days ago with a question(s) already. Car is a gem with full repair history in a freakin' huge file and I'm loving it...BUT, I hate the stock Sub wheels. I've looked at Methods and they're nice but I'd like to have something that isn't seen on the regular but still has that "rallyish" look. I found a cool wheel I haven't seen mentioned on this forum, the Centerline Pangea 17x8 +35. Anyone familiar with this wheel? Second part of the question: I'm hoping to run Falken Wildpeaks in as close to stock tire size as possible and wondering if I'll have any problems with an 8" wide wheel and these tires in terms of possible rubbing. Thanks for the help and really appreciate the forum and the incredible knowledge it offers.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
New owner as of 5days ago with a question(s) already. Car is a gem with full repair history in a freakin' huge file and I'm loving it...BUT, I hate the stock Sub wheels. I've looked at Methods and they're nice but I'd like to have something that isn't seen on the regular but still has that "rallyish" look. I found a cool wheel I haven't seen mentioned on this forum, the Centerline Pangea 17x8 +35. Anyone familiar with this wheel? Second part of the question: I'm hoping to run Falken Wildpeaks in as close to stock tire size as possible and wondering if I'll have any problems with an 8" wide wheel and these tires in terms of possible rubbing. Thanks for the help and really appreciate the forum and the incredible knowledge it offers.
I saw your earlier posts about the wheels and wanted to say I do like the look but I'm not sure about the offset and how it might affect the front wheels at full lock, or the wheel bearings over time.

There's another thread about 35 offset wheels but for a different generation of Outback, but the issues are similar:

Edit: This guy is running 35 offset on a Gen 3

·
Registered
2008 OBXT; 2007 Spec.B; 2003 WRX
50 Posts
Hi All! Just recently picked up a tastefully modified 08 OBXT, 5MT. Just got her tuned for weak sauce CA 91 and put down 290 HP and 288 ft-lbs...not too shabby! Next on the list are wheels, tires, suspension, racks, and lights - hopefully coming soon. Going for a slightly lifted daily driver/trailhead battlewagon (I'm a backpacker and mountain biker). I've learned a ton from this community already and can't wait to dive in more, and hopefully make some contributions!

Uploaded photo:

·
Registered
2008 OBXT; 2007 Spec.B; 2003 WRX
50 Posts
For some reason I can't see the image - bet it's sweet!
Probably some silly setting or prefix with my Google Photos link - sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I went ahead and just uploaded the pic, hopefully that works. She's stock on the outside...for now...

Edit:
I see the image now and it's sweet!
Excellent, and thank you! As soon as I sell the ol' Bugeye she's gonna get some tasty upgrades 🤘

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Just recently picked up this 05 obxt 5mt and have been giving it the first service interval. It has 115k miles and has been stanced. I am trying to maintain some degree of aesthetic stance while making it a comfortable dd that can also cut the corners.

I will be making a post at some point to see about getting help on how to overcome this suspension/wheel issue I have. But for the mean time please enjoy these pics I took from this last drizzly day.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
85 Posts
Hi all,

Just recently picked up this 05 obxt 5mt and have been giving it the first service interval. It has 115k miles and has been stanced. I am trying to maintain some degree of aesthetic stance while making it a comfortable dd that can also cut the corners.

I will be making a post at some point to see about getting help on how to overcome this suspension/wheel issue I have. But for the mean time please enjoy these pics I took from this last drizzly day.

View attachment 490544
View attachment 490545
Looks like someone has the paint well sealed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like someone has the paint well sealed!
I have been messing around with the Meguiar Hybrid Ceramic Wax. It is not pro grade but so far my wife and mine vehicles with it have done remarkably better at rejecting the tree sap, and it is very easy to re-apply.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
85 Posts
I have been messing around with the Meguiar Hybrid Ceramic Wax. It is not pro grade but so far my wife and mine vehicles with it have done remarkably better at rejecting the tree sap, and it is very easy to re-apply.
Nice! I have recently been converted to 303 Touchless Sealant. Just as the person who introduced me to it said, I must agree, it is a lazy man's wet dream. You spray it on and immediately rinse it off, then towel dry. That's it.
Over the past couple of weeks since application I have "washed" the car 3 or 4 times, which entails rinsing with a high pressure jet and toweling dry. Works like a charm. And this is not just typical dust and a few bugs coming off.... I've been working on a large construction site, and it's rained a few times in the past few weeks. Dust, dirt, mud, rocks, bugs, it has all rinsed off of the sealed surfaces like it was never there. I'm sold.

Dirty:
IMG_20200803_163549.jpg

Rinsed:
IMG_20200803_164817.jpg

Dried:
IMG_20200803_170829.jpg

Difference between sealed and non-sealed surfaces after rinse:
IMG_20200803_170628.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Aloha! New member here from Hawaii with a 2006 OBXT manual. I went ahead and created a build thread, I'm well into it but not done yet.

·
Registered
2009 Outback Limited 2.5i Pearl White Metallic
74 Posts
Just bought a 2009 Outback Limited with the 2.5i n/a engine. It's super nice, pearl white metallic, garage kept its whole life, etc. Car has 112,500 miles and hasn't had a timing belt change yet, so I'll do that this weekend. Head gaskets are on the radar. It's recently had a new power steering pump and CV axles on the front. I work 200 miles away from home, and stay there during the week. I have to drive through some mountainous, snowy conditions through rural areas to get there, so AWD was needed. I read the Limiteds came with a limited slip rear, so that's a plus. Will also get snow tires/wheels for the winter months. It's a super nice car... Hope it remains reliable! Don't want to get stuck in the boonies late Sunday night going back to work! lol

As for mechanical aptitude... I don't take anything to a shop except for body work and automatic trans rebuilds. I'm 52, and have done all the rest my whole life. I also have a 1966 mustang that is a street/strip car. I've had it since age 15, and have been building on it ever since. First car. Small block Ford, nitrous, 4-speed, slicks, etc. Best is 9.86 @ 135 in the 1/4 mile. New engine going in soon. Upgrading from the 306 to a 363.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 OBXT auto with 79k miles, timing belt and water pump done 4 years ago. It's gold... meh, but I bought it because of the low mileage. It's the "extra car" that the kids will drive and what my wife will drive in lieu of the big old kid carrier van.

It's in pretty good shape, although it idles a little low/rough. It's staying mechanically stock (for now), but I plan on doing the the JDM 2DIN audio upgrade. Anything I should be looking at, mechanically speaking, other than head gaskets and timing belt maintenance?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Anything I should be looking at, mechanically speaking, other than head gaskets and timing belt maintenance?
That's a very nice low mileage 05! There's a screen filter in the banjo bolt to the turbo that people either remove entirely or clean/change. The Legacy GT Forum is also helpful for that generation. Stay with Subaru OEM HP or Idemitsu HP trans fluid.

1921 - 1940 of 1948 Posts