Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a brand new user to these forums...and also a brand-new owner of a 2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 2.5i. I don't actually know whether it's an Impreza or an Outback or both...but I do know it's a Subaru--which is what I wanted. (Maybe one of you could enlighten me?) I'm looking forward to contributing to the community.

Anyways, I'm looking for some ways to "personalize" :) my car. Coming from a bland SUV and low financing (hint I'm a teenager), I don't have any personal experience with modding. The reason I'm interested is because I've always wanted a car that in twenty years I can look back and remember how much fun it was owning it. I'm not talking about driving like a hooligan and endangering others--just the pleasure of seeing it in the garage.

The first thing I've thought of is plasti-dipping the stock rims in gunmetal, black, or gold. Gold seems to represent classic WRX Subaru really well--but at the same time it might look too glossy. What do you guys think? Bad quality and cheap look? I feel a little inconsiderate and guilty joining these forums and making a new thread...but hopefully you guys will give me some ideas :). Thanks for listening to my three-paragraph essay and please see the attached photo.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
Hi, congrats & welcome.

Perhaps I can clarify the Outback terminology. Originally, the Outback was a trim level of the Legacy, Subaru's bigger car. The primary feature was a raised suspension. It sold well, and a year later became its own model, still based on the Legacy.

Some time later, Subaru produced a raised-suspension variant of its smaller car, the Impreza. This car was known as the Outback Sport.

We welcome Subaru enthusiasts regardless of what they drive, but you may find better or more specific information on one of the many Impreza forums. Your car has more in common with them, though the engine, transmission & drivetrain are common to the Legacy and Outback family.

Finally, it's important to note that Subarus are the automotive equivalent of Legos. Not that many different parts, and the interchange possibilities are endless if you are into it.

Have fun and good luck!

PS you'll do best uploading pictures to your own host and then linking here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, congrats & welcome.

Perhaps I can clarify the Outback terminology. Originally, the Outback was a trim level of the Legacy, Subaru's bigger car. The primary feature was a raised suspension. It sold well, and a year later became its own model, still based on the Legacy.

Some time later, Subaru produced a raised-suspension variant of its smaller car, the Impreza. This car was known as the Outback Sport.

We welcome Subaru enthusiasts regardless of what they drive, but you may find better or more specific information on one of the many Impreza forums. Your car has more in common with them, though the engine, transmission & drivetrain are common to the Legacy and Outback family.

Finally, it's important to note that Subarus are the automotive equivalent of Legos. Not that many different parts, and the interchange possibilities are endless if you are into it.

Have fun and good luck!

PS you'll do best uploading pictures to your own host and then linking here.
Thanks for the quick reply! Your quick synopsis on the history of my car cleared things up. I'm now thinking that maybe it is more of an Impreza since the current hatchback follows the style of my Outback Sport...at least from what I see. I'll look around on these Internets to see where I might better fit in but you guys do seem nice. Thanks again!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
Yup, it's an impreza on stilts. Nice picture, good find! I shopped an '11 brand new before I decided to take a chance on an older weirder faster Subaru. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Nice. I always liked the "up and over" wheel-well paint along with the contrasting Body Side Molding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts