Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5 basic automatic
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking into buying an 08 2.5XT outback with 130k miles on it.

Anything I should look for when I go on a test drive? Like where to spot oil leaks or any engine noise or anything else?

Also are these motors any good? I am new to the Outback scene

Thanks Again

Lee

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Just from my experience here, the consensus seems to be if you own an OBXT, you're going to want to be very handy with the wrench or be willing to pay for the mechanic bills. It seems to me that owning an OBXT means you're also going to own an engine hoist.

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5 basic automatic
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just from my experience here, the consensus seems to be if you own an OBXT, you're going to want to be very handy with the wrench or be willing to pay for the mechanic bills. It seems to me that owning an OBXT means you're also going to own an engine hoist.

Should I not get an XT model just a regular outback?

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
If you aren't a die-hard turbo person or are NOT capable of replacing your own engine, I'd skip the XT. The H6 models offer similar performance (albeit in automatic only), but handle neglect better.

If you're looking for a high-spec Outback, the Limited trim is available with the NA 2.5 and you get all the cool features of the XT without the turbo. The L.L. Bean edition is the Limited's H6 version (for the early generation).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
I drank the kool-aide twice (ain't dead yet)

Most folks think this is the only end state for an OBXT...

"We lost nine today"

I beg to differ. I like them so much. I bought (2).

BTW, Have I mentioned I am a single, bald, divorced (twice) and a 1/2 time (2x times) Dad. I never built cars while married. Since, I had to fill that brutal hollow void of self inflicted abuse somehow. Since I like to wrench, The XT's abide...and the wallet is always very, very thin...

But my right foot loves it...

All kidding aside. I love these cars.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
ANY car that has a Turbo is almost twice as much work to keep it running.
If you neglect maintenance on them it will BITE you where you don't want teeth marks.

I am 62 years old and 85% disabled but I turn my own wrenches on most things, only just slower than you young punks. GET OFF MY LAWN. This OBXT is my 5th Turbo car.

I would NOT let my daughter buy a Turbo Outback!!!!
She has someone else check the oil when the idiot light comes on. :(

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
If you neglect maintenance on them it will BITE you where you don't want teeth marks.

I am 62 years old and 85% disabled but I turn my own wrenches on most things, only just slower than you young punks. GET OFF MY LAWN. This OBXT is my 5th Turbo car.

your reference to biting reminds me of grizzled old coggers that have somehow survived a angry divorce.

but as to your daughters oil light, what is she driving? I hope it is not a traditional old subaru that when the only oil light that comes on, pops on is when it is too late.?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
your reference to biting reminds me of grizzled old coggers that have somehow survived a angry divorce.

but as to your daughters oil light, what is she driving? I hope it is not a traditional old subaru that when the only oil light that comes on, pops on is when it is too late.?
About as bad, a 2013 Honda Fit. On most car the difference between checking the oil weekly OR once the oil light comes on is about 20,000 miles. Worth it to me to check every fillup.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had an 07 Legacy GT and now have an 08 LL bean Outback H6 . I must say that like the H6 much better, your also less likely to get the same life out of a turbo motor. If your **** bent on getting an XT then do your research, but i'd stay away. If your good with a wrench and don't mind working on it then go for it.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Subaru won an award from an engineering society for this engine.

On the other hand, consumer groups, mechanics and owners have rather pointedly chosen not to honor Subaru the same way.

So it all depends on your perspective.

I love my XT but I would not recommend one to anyone who isn't already a car enthusiast with at least basic mechanical knowledge and some familiarity with the risks involved. The added complexity allows small problems to turn into very expensive problems in very little time. If you are sensitive to the car and (can afford to) react immediately when something is off, you'll do ok.

The regular 4-cylinder and the 6-cylinder models are much more forgiving.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts

Hey Dave, I'm right there with you, 63 in March and deaf! Although, there is some peace to be found in deafness!

Mine doesn't have a turbo but I still consider myself 3/4 time Mr Goodwrench! I still think my Sooby is really cool!

I preach "check your oil" sermon constantly....they look at me like I'm Red Foreman!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
I love my XT but I would not recommend one to anyone who isn't already a car enthusiast with at least basic mechanical knowledge and some familiarity with the risks involved. The added complexity allows small problems to turn into very expensive problems in very little time. If you are sensitive to the car and (can afford to) react immediately when something is off, you'll do ok.
I can only second and third this from first-hand experience. The fourth time my check engine light came on I needed a fifth to drown my sorrows.

All horrible puns aside, take heed to listen to what everyone is saying. The XT is a joy to drive and I've put a good 40,000+ miles on mine after purchasing it three years ago. But if the check engine light comes on it's an immediate flatbed tow truck call; because if not you'll find yourself watching your $1,000 bills fly away.

From experience, I would not buy this car again. BUT now that I own mine outright (after paying a stealership to put in its third engine in '16), I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Just curious, how do WRX's compare (of the same year or prior)? Is the XT more sensitive/problematic than other turbo charged cars? My brother had an 01 WRX for a number of years with very few problems and lasted him until a deer destroyed it at ~45 MPH.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
The XT, LGT, and FXT have the same engine as the concurrent WRX. Major problems with any of these are almost always due to poor oil discipline.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,119 Posts
Buyer profile was probably a bigger issue with the XT than anything else. A lot of buyers bought them without knowing much about the care and feeding of turbos, and the results showed. At least with the WRX, more buyers knew what they were getting into.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
WRX driver has the hood up twice a week trying to figure out where to wedge in his next paycheck, because that fool Rick from the warehouse just got a sick new billet clutch pedal pad on his and he doesn't want to miss out.

XT owner has to pick up the kids, swing by the grocery, listen to the weekly conference call, drop off the dry cleaning and get back before the dog makes a mess. What's this about oil?

That's really all there is to it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Outback
16 Posts
WRX driver has the hood up twice a week trying to figure out where to wedge in his next paycheck, because that fool Rick from the warehouse just got a sick new billet clutch pedal pad on his and he doesn't want to miss out.

XT owner has to pick up the kids, swing by the grocery, listen to the weekly conference call, drop off the dry cleaning and get back before the dog makes a mess. What's this about oil?

That's really all there is to it.
Agreed 100%. As a father and previous owner of an 08 Spec B with 125K i was looking at a new timing belt, clutch and turbo in the near future. I decided to trade in since I now did not have time to tinker on the weekends. I would say to the OP check to see what maintenance/repairs were done and what you can afford to have done or do ourself. Your time has value too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts