Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new guy on the board with a three day old '14 Outback sitting in the driveway. As I researched Subaru I learned about the Fuji Industries and Nakajima Aircraft heritage. Back when I could see 1/72 scale model aircraft parts I built a nice Kate torpedo bomber in Pearl Harbor colors. Anyway I went looking for the Nakajima Aircraft logo with the idea that I might get a 2 or 3" vinyl decal made up for my back window. Does anybody make such a thing? The logo has a front view of three aircraft and a character in the center that looks like the letter U overlaid with a cross. Does anybody have an idea as to the meaning of that character?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i thought for sure this would be one of those "strange questions" that's not a strange question. i was wrong!

no idea.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,401 Posts
paging rasterman!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,896 Posts
Moved thread.

I haven't seen any around. Maybe send an email to SOA and Fuji Heavy and see who replies first.

·
Premium Member
18,401 Posts
oh RASTERMAN !?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Moved thread.

I haven't seen any around. Maybe send an email to SOA and Fuji Heavy and see who replies first.
He's just looking for a custom window decal, like they print for buses and pick up trucks. The cardoc could probably get one for his own back window, and deduct it as a advertisement.

Now I would not recommend a subaru owner putting such a thing on their car, - the company that made lots of WWII planes including the Kamikaze, just like I would not recommend such a thing to a BMW guy, or a Mitsubishi Guy, ...well Ford made B24s, and I have yet to see one of those on a vehicle.

All you got to do is type "custom window graphics" "custom window decals" in the internet call up a place and give the dimensions or the spec on the window, = might not go on as neat as a flat glass pickup.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
I see I'm late to the party!

I was curious about the old Nakajima logo myself. I did some web searching and found the same thing you did. I still don't know if it's legitimate, but I liked it all the same.

I took the image I'd found and had it touched up a little to make the image used in my avatar. I might still have a hi-res around somewhere...

As far as that central glyph goes... I don't know. It is not a kanji character from what I can tell, though it may be "gaiji" or a borrowed letter.

It does look a lot like a greek ψ or "psi" glyph, but I don't know of any tie-in to Nakajima, aircraft building or japanese culture.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
here is a yack up on the subject rast,

3 planes on the outside and a yoke wheel on the inside, OK I can see that, after I read it. (I just don't have access to that kind of pot to have seen that without reading it). = if that is correct.

For Sale Nakajima Stickers! Show our roots!

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R, Carbide Gray
144 Posts
ltdavel,

Do you have, or know anyone who has, an ink-jet printer? Take the image and print it onto blank vinyl window decal stock. That should be less expensive than paying a professional printer to do it.

Any of the office supply stores should have the decal stock.

Good luck in your search,
Glenn

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,140 Posts
Nakajima means middle island but that center symbol looks like the middle of a valley. Maybe that's what the middle of an island looks like during a barrel roll?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

I'd suggest some careful research before plastering WWII Japanese
symbols/logos on your Soobie's windows. The "mystery glyph" might
touch some sensitive nerves -- on one side of the pond or the other.

…jus sayin',

Looby

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
www.sixspeedgraphix.com

They do customer vinyl stickers at reasonable prices. I would suggest paying a few extra $$ for a good vinyl sticker. The elements are harsh. Have them print up a few.

I would also heed Looby's advice.

·
Premium Member
18,401 Posts
I have say, it may be likely anyone sophisticated enough to determine the source/ meaning of that logo - may be sophisticated enough to understand it isn't meant as support for any enemy of the US. just a recognition of a historical fact.

Like some Iranian refugees that I know that, when asked about their heritage, tell people they are 'Persian'. it almost guarantees no '*******' responses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts