Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, I am new to the forum and hoping to get some info. I keep going back and forth with getting a used outback. Right now I have a toyota matrix xrs, which is fun to drive but worthless in the winters. I want an outback, but I am a little nervous about getting something with high miles (the one I am looking at is a 2007 XT with about 86k miles). Ideally I want a manual and turbo, which don't come around too often but this one has been on the dealers website for a couple weeks that I keep coming back to. My biggest concerns are maintenance and repairs. Are they pretty easy to work on? With a turbo, am I getting into more costly and more frequent repairs, or are they just as reliable as the non-turbos? What kind of things will I need to think about repairing on an outback with a lot of miles? I would like to have whatever I get for several years, and my wife is also a little nervous about getting something with so many miles, especially when I can get a 2012 manual trans, base impreza for a couple thousand more. Doesn't have the unnecessary things I want, but will probably last a lot longer at the cost of not being very fun to drive. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
the turbo's are great engines if you can verify superb maintenance. conventional or or lazy oil changes can do the motors in, Subaru updated their oil requirements for the turbo engine due to issues. there's a screen that can get clogged..etc. some folks well versed in Subaru's (GD on USMB, owns his own shop) recommend only buying a turbo engine with documented synthetic oil changes.

any turbo engine is by default less reliable, it does not matter the vehicle. statistics alone dictate that since there are more parts. it is impossible to add more parts and increase reliability. turbo's have more hoses, exhaust, gaskets, moving parts, and generate heat which can stress everything more.

the Subaru turbo motors have proven quite robust and that you're looking at outbacks instead of WRX's is probably a good thing. LOL and you get to avoid the headgasket issue plagued EJ25 non turbo engine. the EJ25 turbo engines aren't prone to those.

they're the same to work on as any other subaru engine so yes they're easy. just gotta remove turbo/intake/exhaust bits sometimes.

only you can determine if the higher cost (in miles or dollars - which amounts to the same thing in a way) is worth the performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts