Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of research to replace our aging Trailblazer, which has been a great car, and am settling on a new Outback H6 (probably when the 2014's are introduced). I have one question. What is the cruising rpm of this vehicle at 65-70 mph? The reason for the H6 is that we live in the mountains of WV and have very few areas to pass slow moving trucks. Believe it or not, there is a lot of truck traffic over the 25 miles and four mountains to the nearest Wal-Mart.

I have been very impressed by the knowledge represented in these forums and the willingness of everyone to assist. Other forums are not always so civilized as this one.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
At 68 mph our '11 ob H6 turns about 2200 rpm in a level road (5th gear). It'll kick down quickly to lower gears & higher rpm to pass trucks easily.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
About 32.0 mph per 1000 RPM in top gear (assuming TC lockup),
or approximately 2030 RPM @ 65 mph, 2190 RPM @ 70 mph.

Expect the electronic speed limiter to kick in at 3600-3700 RPM,
to protect you from the crappy (Soobie USofA) T-rated tires.

Caution: based purely on calculations, not observations.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
Related question: has anyone checked the accuracy of OB tachometers?

It seems to be an accepted fact that Soobie speedos are "optimistic" by
several percent, but I've never seen tachometer accuracy mentioned.

...just curious,

Looby

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, everyone. That is the info I was looking for.

Like I said, this forum has some great people so willing to share!

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Today, I-80 between Sac and Roseville--slightly hilly, 70 MPH, 2250 RPM as measured on my Garmin connected to the onboard computer port. And I was in the no 3 lane from the left!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts