Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought an 01 Outback LL Bean, and it did not come with an owners manual. I do my own maintenance and wanted to know where to get my hands on an owners manual and service manual.

1 Can anyone confirm if those service manual CD's on Ebay are any good? Or anyone know where to buy a hard copy service manual?
2 Anyone want to share their CD manual with me?
3 Also, any major problems with this motor i should be aware of to look for? Head gaskets OK on this motor?
4 Is the H6 motor an non-interference engine?
5 Any major recalls in the 2001 i should have checked at the dealer right away?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A--

i've been markedly unimpressed with the Impreza manual i got from one of the many ebay vendors. i still use the Haynes for the 96-00 Legacy/OB more even tho i have an 02 OBS.

and welcome, BTW!

·
Registered
169 Posts
cars101.com is a good resource as well... motor has been good so far for me (50k)... not sure what you mean by non-interference engine... as far as recalls contact dealer (my 02 has had 3-4 recalls)... happy trails!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
k--

interference or non-interference engine refers to whether the valves will whack into ("interfere" with) the piston crowns if the camshaft becomes disconnected from the crankshaft and stops turning or is at wrong place relative to crankshaft, like if timing belt or chain breaks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i found that cars101 website yesterday, and there is a ton of info on there about our cars. I also found out that the H6 does not have a timing belt which is what i was most concerned about since i bought my 01 with high miles (112k). It is chain driven so the 105k mile service to replace the timing belt is not necessary on the H6. Cool!

I am having a hard time finding a service manual that includes the H6 motor. I do not want to download the manual page by page and rename the files if i can avoid it. Does anyone have a service manual on CD that covers the H6 that is willing to send me a copy, or has anyone already done the download work from techinfo subaru site and is willing to share their files. I am willing to paypal you a convenience fee if you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome Aristoi!
I also just bought an 01 Bean, she has 133k on her, but she is quieter than a clock! I had been seeking this car for long long while but they are rare around the area i live. One finally came around just about two days before i got my funds in order! I jumped on it and I trully have fallen in love with her 100% in only a month!

As fair as a service manual I dont not have one yet, but I can frwd you the info in the owners man if you like, its pretty informative.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle...or did someone already say that? I have both my manual and the Bean manual original with the car. I'll look if the rain stops in time, to see who the publisher is and perhaps find some stored away. If it is tomorrow, I'll go ahead and post it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found my 01 Bean TODAY! So excited! I have owned an outback since 2002 and just fell in love with this car - picking it up on Tuesday. Literally decided today was the day I needed to get serious about getting another subi and drove past it this afternoon. Seller is a subaru mechanic at local dealership. 133k miles. Purchased for 4k.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Talk about bringing an old thread back to life!

The owner's manual is downloadable from Subaru here: Subaru Technical Information System - Welcome

Service manual is more difficult to come by. If you dig around, I'm sure you can find a link to the official Subaru manual that someone uploaded. It should be 4000+ pages long if you find the right one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome.
Owners manuals may be obtained and downloaded from Subaru's Website for a fee as are the service manuals.
The EZ30 is a very solid engine, with very few common problems. The biggest issue or most common is the Oil cooler o-ring which can be addressed during an oil change pretty easily. Also be aware that The EZ30 has Chain driven Camshafts so interference engine shouldn't be an issue unless you ignore maintenance completely.
On that thought, the engine has been known to make a chain rapping noise when the oil is Low or past due for a change, the noise is do to the hydraulic tensioners starving for oil and unable to adjust out chain slack, do not ignore this noise it can be very expensive.
Other then that the LL Bean was an extremely durable model of Outback, and a shame that the Phase II EJ25 wasn't as trouble free in the real world.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Owners manuals may be obtained and downloaded from Subaru's Website for a fee as are the service manuals.
While Subaru charges for the service manuals, the owner's manuals (and accessory install guides, not sure what else) can be downloaded for free (see link I provided in my last post).

Just be sure to select "Owner's Manual" from the dropdown and enter your VIN or the year/model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing