Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2.5i Cold weather package
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dealer and both head gaskets are starting to leak on my 2007 Outback (80,000 miles). Good news, I have a month left on my extended warranty.

I was told the new head gaskets are better and have a different part # and they have never seen one fail after being replaced.

Any comments on the "new" gaskets?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
342 Posts
Get them!

Head gaskets are one part you should always go OEM. The "new" ones I think are three or four layers of material and are much better under hot/cold conditions.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Do it - OEM upgraded / fixed gaskets are the right way to go.
Make sure you contact Subaru directly through the subaru website and let them know which dealer and your Vin number so mother Subaru will track and make sure the dealer is kept truthful regarding any charges or coverage questions. Not to mention if for any odd reason your replaced HG's leak which they should not - Mother subaru knows about the first repair and will make things right.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Well, you have a pretty interesting situation. No one knows exactly when subaru changed their HG's or what the change amounted to. For the record, subaru changed the HG numbers, between 00 to 09, from 521, 632, and finally 633 [the digits are the last 3 numbers in the part designation].

From sketchy information on the internet, subaru changed the HG to 633 sometime during the model 06 production, depending on the model. If this is true, then you already have in your car, the authorized OEM replacement for all the years 00-09, which is the 633.

Why don't you ask your dealer to write you a letter stating that the current gasket in you car is not the 633. After, he said it verbally, so why not put in writing? I'll bet he won't.

But it doesn't make any difference. Almost certainly they will only replace the gasket with the OEM, and since it's free, you have no real choice. You might think about selling within a year if their guarantee extends that long.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
The OEM 633 gaskets are not three metal layers. They are a signal layer with what looks to be viton coating on each side.

·
Registered
2.5i Cold weather package
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a message on my answering machine that the car is ready. Only took them 6 hours! Does that sound right? Don't they have to pull the engine?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
that could be right... they should be pros by now with so many HG's going.

it's easy to spot new HG's though - look for it between the engine block and the heads - should be sticking out at some points - like in my photo here... although it might be much harder with intake and all the other equipment in.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
The stealerships only pull the engine if they want to do a good job.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback
6 Posts
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with 90600 miles on it . It has been using approx. a pint of coolant every 1000 miles. The last time I had it state inspected mechanic stated head gasket was leaking slightly and should be replaced. Quoted price of 2400.00 for complete job. I think I will try a sealer kit specifically for this model Subaru . It is 149.00 and I hope it works . It has great reviews from others who have used

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Dre
May I ask a question.
I look at my 2008 Impreza Canadian 120,000 km, there is something stick out like your photo, but not in blue color, and I cannot see any thing written on it, just a piece stick out.

So is the old OEM gasket also stick out or just the new replacement one stick out.
I buy used last year, the dealer service record does not have the gasket being replaced, and I want to know or make sure was it done or not.
I look at the bottom, and cannot see any oil trace.
The coolant is blue color and no sign of leaking.

Any way to be sure the gasket been replaced ?
Thanks

that could be right... they should be pros by now with so many HG's going.

it's easy to spot new HG's though - look for it between the engine block and the heads - should be sticking out at some points - like in my photo here... although it might be much harder with intake and all the other equipment in.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This is an old post that you are reviving. But to answer your question, on the drivers side, near the front of the engine, you can see the HG sticking out perhaps 3/8". But if the HG was changed, it most probably was just the same old subaru gasket, so the projection will not give most likely give you any information. The OEM gasket was a single metal sheet with a thin black coating on each side, and so are most of the replacements especially if done at the dealership.

But why are you worried about it? No doubt a lot of the OEM gasket last for 250K km. You might be one of the lucky ones. And when they start to leak, it a slow progression and you will have thousands of km to decide what to do.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Don't worry about it if everything works good for now. I am driving a 2010 Forester now with 86,000 miles on the ODO and the OEM HG is still on the engine. Not sure if they did change the design of the gasket but I assume that they most likely did at some point. Just keep driving and enjoy.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks mikec and Dre for the quick response.

I start to worry because in 2 forums Subaru Canadian owners warns me that the Head gasket will start to leak at a max. of 130,000 km.
Last oil change at dealer, asked them to check the gasket for leak and whether it has been replaced. They said very minor oil leak, still between Max and Low mark.
Clear oil trace, so as to spot oil when leak. No need to add oil in between but check oil level before next service.
Most owners say gasket will go eventually just a matter of time.
After I read that, I research more, and check the under side a few times.
Not too sure where is the gasket at the bottom, but do not see any oil or coolant trace.
So am I save ? As not want to shell out CAD $2000 for head gasket job.

I think I see the OEM gasket sticking out as it is not too obvious as Dre's photo of blue color with MLS writing and not sticking out that much as in the picture.

any more way to check or spot it is replaced?

This is an old post that you are reviving. But to answer your question, on the drivers side, near the front of the engine, you can see the HG sticking out perhaps 3/8". But if the HG was changed, it most probably was just the same old subaru gasket, so the projection will not give most likely give you any information. The OEM gasket was a single metal sheet with a thin black coating on each side, and so are most of the replacements especially if done at the dealership.

But why are you worried about it? No doubt a lot of the OEM gasket last for 250K km. You might be one of the lucky ones. And when they start to leak, it a slow progression and you will have thousands of km to decide what to do.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Subaru Canadian owners warns me that the Head gasket will start to leak at a max. of 130,000 km.
It's difficult to compose a definitive statement about the subaru head gasket leakage situation, BUT, in the above case, it is easy to say. with 100% accuracy, that the quote is complete nonsense.

You should stop worrying about it until you see spots on your driveway. Also you should have done something at the shop. Whenever a mechanic comes to you and describes a problem, you should always say "show me." It doesn't cost anything and you will learn a lot. The HG is where the head joins the block and once shown you will be able to inspect it yourself.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
HG going bad is not always indicated by oil spots in your driveway. Most times gasket gives in between coolant ports and therefore coolant starts leaking into the cylinders. This will produce white smoke out of a tailpipe and you will observe coolant loss.

I would not worry if I were you... untill you have a loss of coolant or significant loss of oil between changes.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
HG going bad is not always indicated by oil spots in your driveway. Most times gasket gives in between coolant ports and therefore coolant starts leaking into the cylinders. This will produce white smoke out of a tailpipe and you will observe coolant loss.

I would not worry if I were you... untill you have a loss of coolant or significant loss of oil between changes.

You're confusing your failure modes. That type of failure is common on the old models 1996-1999. Much more rare on the newer ones 2000-2009. The new ones tend to weep externally rather than internally.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Most times gasket gives in between coolant ports and therefore coolant starts leaking into the cylinders.
Possibly you are thinking of the -1999 2.5D DOHC engines. For the 00+ 2.5 engines the overwhelming hg failure is external oil leakage. The coolant may start leak after the oil leak. It's very rare for the coolant for the 00+ 2.5 engines to leak into the cylinders.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Possibly you are thinking of the -1999 2.5D DOHC engines. For the 00+ 2.5 engines the overwhelming hg failure is external oil leakage. The coolant may start leak after the oil leak. It's very rare for the coolant for the 00+ 2.5 engines to leak into the cylinders.
quite possible; I did have a 2000 with a huge coolant leak internally though

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Fair enough- it's certainly possible for either engine to fail either way. It's not like a gasket can read statistics and formulate a plan. :)

But I'd say your car was an outlier in the grand scheme.
anything is possible

other people experiances make us that much wiser

1 - 20 of 21 Posts