Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a note from SOA that there was new software for the radio head (I have subaru 2018 outback)
I was told this "fixes all the problems." I have blank screen, fail to connect bluetooth audio, android auto no connect and other issues. This has been a problem since new and local dealer put in a reconditioned (previously borken maybe fixed) unit in vehicle at 200 miles.

Any experience with this? Does it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Outback, 3.6R Touring
31 Posts
I don't know which version you currently have, so its hard to say if this update will fix your problems. I didn't have many problems other than the occasional freezing and no audio that was fixed by restarting the car when I first got it. My problems did seemed to occur more often when using the navigation system though. Either way I was updated last winter to version 2.17.43.30 and I haven't had any problems since. I even completed a 1500 mile trip recently using the navigation system the whole time. But I never had problems with blank screens, fail to connect Bluetooth audio or anything related to Android auto either. I also rarely use Android auto.

I guess my point is that since going to 2.17.43.30, I haven't had any problems.

Did they email you something or did your note come in the mail? I'm curious because I haven't seen anything from them letting me know of any updates (maps or firmware)

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,290 Posts
following

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had two occasions in the last 2 months when starting the car that the 8" Headunit only showed the Starlink logo blue screen, nothing else worked no radio, audio, button response.........nothing but the logo. A short drive and no change, the car was parked and shut off and later started up and everything worked normally. I went to my dealer last week and they found the newest version of the software had come out in Mar 2018, they installed it and I'm just hoping I was having a SW issue and not Hardware. The newest version they installed is Rel UO.18.22.20

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I had two occasions in the last 2 months when starting the car that the 8" Headunit only showed the Starlink logo blue screen, nothing else worked no radio, audio, button response.........nothing but the logo. A short drive and no change, the car was parked and shut off and later started up and everything worked normally. I went to my dealer last week and they found the newest version of the software had come out in Mar 2018, they installed it and I'm just hoping I was having a SW issue and not Hardware. The newest version they installed is Rel UO.18.22.20
I don't think they were accurate saying that firmware version came out in March. I had mine updated at the end of June, and it was still 17.43.30. I'll be looking to get 18.22.20 when I get a chance later this month, when I have some time on vacation. Perhaps that will fix my preset #3 button that remains on Initializing.

·
Registered
2018 Outback, 3.6R Touring
31 Posts

Mike-
Are you in the U.S.? I asked my dealer just a couple weeks ago about firmware updates before I left to go on a trip and I was told that I have the most current version.(But they easily could have told me wrong information) Plus every version I've had on my 2017 Impreza and the 2018 Outback has started with 2.17.XX.XX. So I was just wondering if your version looks different because you live in a different country/region.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Tampa Florida. Our son is a Foreman at a Subaru Dealer and he look at the software version of my new Outback and said that there was a newer version available that he had been loading in his dealership.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
291 Posts
I don't know which version you currently have, so its hard to say if this update will fix your problems. I didn't have many problems other than the occasional freezing and no audio that was fixed by restarting the car when I first got it. My problems did seemed to occur more often when using the navigation system though. Either way I was updated last winter to version 2.17.43.30 and I haven't had any problems since. I even completed a 1500 mile trip recently using the navigation system the whole time. But I never had problems with blank screens, fail to connect Bluetooth audio or anything related to Android auto either. I also rarely use Android auto.

I guess my point is that since going to 2.17.43.30, I haven't had any problems.

Did they email you something or did your note come in the mail? I'm curious because I haven't seen anything from them letting me know of any updates (maps or firmware)

I got my 2018 Outback a week ago. It came with version 2.17.43.30. The only issues I see with it is:
1. Radio turns on when you start the car, even when you turn it off by holding down the volume button.
2. Some stations list the artist and song, but not all stations. Not sure if this is a bug or if some stations in my area do not transmit that info. I would need to compare mine to someone in my immediate area with a previous version.
3. SXM is much louder than AM/FM. Again not sure if this is a bug or not. But its quite loud. Not a big deal to me since I don't listen to it much.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
141 Posts
I got my 2018 Outback a week ago. It came with version 2.17.43.30. The only issues I see with it is:
1. Radio turns on when you start the car, even when you turn it off by holding down the volume button.
2. Some stations list the artist and song, but not all stations. Not sure if this is a bug or if some stations in my area do not transmit that info. I would need to compare mine to someone in my immediate area with a previous version.
3. SXM is much louder than AM/FM. Again not sure if this is a bug or not. But its quite loud. Not a big deal to me since I don't listen to it much.
2.17.43.30 isn't the newest version; that's the version in my car (purchased in March), and i can confirm that there's nothing on the God's green earth you can do to prevent the stereo volume from being on from when you start up the car, beyond turning it down to "0" or turning it so XM station "0" (or something like that). The Subaru fix is stupid to require a long press before turning off the car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
2.17.43.30 isn't the newest version; that's the version in my car (purchased in March), and i can confirm that there's nothing on the God's green earth you can do to prevent the stereo volume from being on from when you start up the car, beyond turning it down to "0" or turning it so XM station "0" (or something like that). The Subaru fix is stupid to require a long press before turning off the car.

I would love to meet the programmer that put that stupid thing in. Or the manager that thought of that "feature". I don't need nor want my radio on all the time.

Even when I turn it off while i'm driving, if you turn that volume button the radio turns on.

Give me the source code to that and i'll fix it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
141 Posts
I would love to meet the programmer that put that stupid thing in. Or the manager that thought of that "feature". I don't need nor want my radio on all the time.

Even when I turn it off while i'm driving, if you turn that volume button the radio turns on.

Give me the source code to that and i'll fix it.
If it weren't for this forum, I'd still be reading the owners manual trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I still can't get my head wrapped around why anyone thought it was a good idea. But the fix (long press, until the screen shuts off), is hardly better. Easier to just press the volume button when you start the car than the long press. It's as if they said: "OK, they hate what we did, so we're going to come up with something that they'll hate just as much! That'll teach them."

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
28 Posts
Just had my unit updated today to ver UO.18.22.20. The radio now stays off when you restart the car. You need to make sure you hold the vol knob down long enough to turn off the radio and not just mute it. So far the initializing on the presets is gone. Every time I restarted the car preset 2 and 3 would disappear.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just had my unit updated today to ver UO.18.22.20. The radio now stays off when you restart the car. You need to make sure you hold the vol knob down long enough to turn off the radio and not just mute it. So far the initializing on the presets is gone. Every time I restarted the car preset 2 and 3 would disappear.

What does your display show when you select the version? I'm curious to know if I have that update or not.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,810 Posts
If it weren't for this forum, I'd still be reading the owners manual trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I still can't get my head wrapped around why anyone thought it was a good idea. But the fix (long press, until the screen shuts off), is hardly better. Easier to just press the volume button when you start the car than the long press. It's as if they said: "OK, they hate what we did, so we're going to come up with something that they'll hate just as much! That'll teach them."
The best quick fix is to turn down the volume to zero. The volume will remain at zero forever until you turn it up. This fix is pleasing enough that I am not rushing to get the software update. Anyway, it is so ridiculous that I cannot update the software over Wifi. Subaru should either make that a working feature or never have that feature at all.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 , Eyesight, Navigation Etc.
60 Posts
My 1 1/2 week old 2018 Limited was updated last Tuesday and did not fix anything. In fact it has made the problems worse. Waiting to hear from dealer for what is next.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts