Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and I have new foglight housings on the way. Time to light up the night roads!

Thinking I should get the plastic film overlays to protect this new stuff and help reduce fading.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks good! Silver stars IMO are one of the best halogen bulbs there is. Clear lamin-x should keep them looking fresh. No do a resto job on the old ones, sell them for cash to buy more goodies!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One is cracked, that's why I bought a new pair instead of polishing these. I'd probably even give these away.

I should have got the Silverstar Ultras, but didn't know they existed at the time. ebay was half the price of Autozone on the bulbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could always go Saran Wrap lol! Seriously though I don't know why that lamin-x is SO spendy?! Maybe clear coat or some kind of spray on protectant. I saw a resto thread on here I think that might of had some thing of use ill look for it.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Which headlight is not cracked?
Are you getting new fogs just for fresher lenses? Are the tabs for the grilles intact?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you're really giving away spares (I believe in STP - Save The Pieces), I'd take the good headlight and passenger fog. The leaky headlight and cracked fog would make good practice pieces for lens removal. I warmed up my broken fog to see how hard it is to get the lens off, and even though mine wasn't really warm enough, it wasn't too hard to get off of the housing. My passenger fog is missing 2 of the 4 tabs for the grilles, so that side grille is 'at risk'.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Shipping? We don't need no stinking shipping! (I can pick them up.)

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,923 Posts
I like Portland. Great bicycle town! Visit a supplier in Hillsboro occasionally and stayed in downtown Portland (two blocks from Pioneer Square) to attend a conference held across the river at Exposition Center.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Fun fact. I live just off of I-84 in NY, and take it right to Stewart airport (SWF). Land at PDX and get out on to I-84..... 3,000 miles from home.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fun fact. I live just off of I-84 in NY, and take it right to Stewart airport (SWF). Land at PDX and get out on to I-84..... 3,000 miles from home.
Another fun fact.... I-84 through the gorge has the highest concentration of waterfalls in the world.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
One is cracked, that's why I bought a new pair instead of polishing these. I'd probably even give these away.

I should have got the Silverstar Ultras, but didn't know they existed at the time. ebay was half the price of Autozone on the bulbs.
IIRC the normal Silver Star headlight bulb is the only one they offer in the H1 bulb type. I remember looking into the Silver Star Ultra when I replaced my bulbs once, and they did not offer them.

Also, from personal experience with that headlight, they burn out fast. Sure they are super bright, but they burned out in a few months. Just don't think its anything you did wrong when they do burn out.

I hope you get longer life then I did, but I did not buy them again after the first set. I had better luck with Philips Crystal Vision Ultra from Napa Auto Parts. They were almost as bright and lasted much longer.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My favorite are the Philips ECE bulbs. The Vision +50 used to only be available from companies like Autolamps-online (Great Britain), but now Candlepower carries the successor to the +80 & +100 series, called the Extreme Vision. Livespan is reasonable, and the output is probably best on the market. I've been using these since my OBW was new.

Philips Xtreme Vision H1 (Two-Pack) ---<b>Save Today!!</b>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts