Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd say Hi!

New on the forum, but 9 years and 105k miles on my 2010 Outback 3.6R Limited. It's at that age where it's starting to need regular infusions of parts and cash. That's what brought me here. As an old gearhead, I thought I would be doing all the heavy wrenching myself; maybe with your help I'll actually do the next few things on my own.

Recent work:

12/5/18 @ 103,774 - Front and Rear L&R brake pads and rotors
12/5/18 @ 103,774 - Rebuilt Rear L&R calipers
5/29/19 @ 105,357 - Front and Rear L&R KYB struts, boots and new front mounts
5/29/19 @ 105,357 - Rear L&R Hub and bearing assemblies
5/29/19 @ 105,357 - Alignment

I'll be reviewing the existing threads before asking questions.

PS: I also have a 2011 Forester 2.5 Premium with 88k miles also needing some work...but that's for another page.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I found the 4th Gen - Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement thread and now I don't feel so bad about farming out the work.

My old oxy-actylene tanks are years past their last certification, and needed to be recertified to allow them to be refilled, to heat the "four easily removed bolts", to remove the hub. And I found a shop that fought 'em both hard, yet only charged me the one hour book time per side. I'm feeling like a real winner on that job now. :smile2:
I wouldn't have even started the job had I read the thread first. My lesson for the next project is to check the forums first, not YouTube.

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
Welcome.

This forum is a wealth, and a great community. And yes, the forum search function is a great tool. Google will usually bring any Subaru search here.

:welcome2:

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
Tell Me about this backwoods architect thing. I am a Pennsylvania redneck that went to architecture school while working as a bike messenger.

I have to say I am intrigued.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell Me about this backwoods architect thing. I am a Pennsylvania redneck that went to architecture school while working as a bike messenger.

I have to say I am intrigued.
Education and job related in concept, used it on another blog then it became my Tumbler handle about 6-7 years ago.

Sorry I didn't Reply sooner, but I came back last evening as I got the infamous quadruple warning lights yesterday. CEL on, flashing CRUISE and flashing BRAKES, and DVC (?) on...forum paid for itself again. Gas cap seems to be the problem. Third time for the dash light activity, so I'm picking up a new gas cap and seal this morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome!

We were wondering what took you so long. But better late than never!
It can be difficult for an old gearhead to admit newer vehicles (and electronics) are beyond his knowledge base, but then I also don't think I could pick up and carry around an L88 ('69 Chevy 427cid) short block the way I used to be able to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Education and job related in concept, used it on another blog then it became my Tumbler handle about 6-7 years ago.

Sorry I didn't Reply sooner haven't been here in a while, but I came back last evening as I got the infamous quadruple warning lights yesterday. CEL on, flashing CRUISE and flashing BRAKES, and DVC (?) on...forum paid for itself again. Gas cap seems to be the problem. Third time for the dash light activity, so I'm picking up a new gas cap and seal this morning.
Third time in five weeks; always seems to be related to refueling. Gas cap not loose, but seal might be weak...we shall see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts