Subaru Outback Forums banner

new here, already found a couple solutions! Thanks

557 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  subiesailor 
#1 ·
Picked up a 99 Forester, 2.5L, AWD, 5 speed. 119K. Like it a lot, got a few warts to iron out of course. The gas mileage is considerably better than the Roadmaster wagon it replaced! I kayak a lot, and it was easy to rack it out from Home Depot for under $50.

Also, I now have a teen driver who will learn to drive a clutch in this. Wish me luck!!

Glad to be back in a Subaru. Drove an 86 Brat for 7 years!:)

#2 ·
welcome back
Enjoy the Forester

Keep a close eye on your coolant levels the 99 through early 2003 2.5's had head gaskets that were leaking coolant. Subaru was replacing them as they came in but many owners never noticed till they had an over heat issue.

Very very early signs are spotted by looking at the driver side back, bottom corner of the engine. Run the car for a bit. Shut it down with the wheels cranked right, take a peek under from just behind the driver side front wheel looking at the back bottom corner of the engine. The HG leak even just a very minor one will show coolant dripping on the hot exhaust and after just a few minutes all evidence will be vaporized.

Subaru sells a special formulated coolant conditioner that helps keep the HG's seated and sealed in the cooling system to prevent this! Proper healthy coolant is a must so if your not sure about the coolant's age or type wise to have it flushed and the Special Subaru conditioner added.

If it comes down to a HG job keep in mind that the skilled hands that does the job are FAR FAR FAR !!!!!!!! More important than the few hundred bucks you might find cheaper less skilled shop willing to do it. My 2001 same engine had the driver side HG done by Subaru at 65K over night job not a big deal. 180,000 miles it was perfectly clean and zero issues!!! Great engine when cared for and not cooked.

Have fun!!!!! Post a pict of your roof rack rig if you can. Always fun to see peoples solutions to custom set ups etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.