Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellows and Fellas :D

I'm new here and currently own an Xterra that I really want to get rid of. Not that it sucks, I just want to move on to AWD (my car is RWD :().

So, I'm in the market for an Outback, and I'm wondering, b/w the H4 Turbo and the 3.0 H6 there don't seem to be too many differences when I went and compared them on Subaru.com, not even in mpg. So with the few differences such as a little bit more road clearance and more torque with the turbo, I'm thinking my best choice (from a financial perspective) would be to go with the turbo... there's about roughly 3 G's in price difference...(b/w the H4 Turbo and the 3.0 H6)

So, from a maintenance perspective, how do you think the turbo would fare against the n/a H6?

And another question, would I have issues with the turbo and A/F ratio's when getting into higher elevations? I live in CO (Just moved here) and go to the mountains quite often, would I get turbo problems as I hit higher altitudes?

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps some of the reviews of the new '05 Outbacks/Legacies might have some altitude comparisons. Check out the links I saved on my web page (about 3 dozen so far!).

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
There's a huge differance in the feel of the two vehicles. The Turbo is a sports car, and behaves like one. The 6 is a smoother, more granny-ish ride, but still very nice.

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
Alexander said:
Sup fellows and Fellas :D

I'm new here and currently own an Xterra that I really want to get rid of. Not that it sucks, I just want to move on to AWD (my car is RWD :().

So, I'm in the market for an Outback, and I'm wondering, b/w the H4 Turbo and the 3.0 H6 there don't seem to be too many differences when I went and compared them on Subaru.com, not even in mpg. So with the few differences such as a little bit more road clearance and more torque with the turbo, I'm thinking my best choice (from a financial perspective) would be to go with the turbo... there's about roughly 3 G's in price difference...(b/w the H4 Turbo and the 3.0 H6)

So, from a maintenance perspective, how do you think the turbo would fare against the n/a H6?

And another question, would I have issues with the turbo and A/F ratio's when getting into higher elevations? I live in CO (Just moved here) and go to the mountains quite often, would I get turbo problems as I hit higher altitudes?

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated...
Wow, you came to the right place to get answers at just the right time!

Actually Alex, I just got back from Pikes Peak a few weeks ago and let me tell you that you seriously need a turbo car in the mountains. I have a 2003 Outback H6-3.0 and it was a total dog in the higher altitudes (as compared to Omaha, NE).

Truth be told turbo would help you out more than anything would in the mountains, FYI a turbo forces air into your engine and that of course can make all the difference when the air gets thin. When I went to Pikes Peak I went there for the annual rally race, we had three cars in my group: my Outback, a 2002 WRX, and a modified 1992 Legacy w/turbo. Those guys were flying up the mountain at 50 MPH while I was struggling just to hit 20 MPH.

So yes in the interest of saving you money and saving you the headache of your car bogging due to "The Madness of the Rockies" I'd go for the XT if I were in your shoes, I'd go for it anyway! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm going for the Outback Turbo if I get one, I'm just so dang torn on what to do... I went by the dealer today and test drove one and absolutely love it! My wife does too and so does my 3 yr old, the ONLY gripe I have with the car is that I wish it were a bit bigger, a bit more space... I know, you're prolly wondering why, well cause I'm 6'3 and 260 lbs, I get mistaken for a ball player allot :rolleyes: Head room, not that great for tall guys like me who like the car and all it has to offer... :(

I'm gonna sit around (if I can and wait a while), maybe test drive it a few more times (gotta love the John Elway dealers... no pressure, no haggle, I tell 'em right of the bat, I'm not buying, just wanna drive and they're cool with it. :D)

Anyhow, I was also looking into the Envoy XUV but I think that car looks hideous, yet it has it's purpose, but dang, I'm just not a big US car fan... :eek:

So another car I'm looking at is the 2005 Xterra that pretty much looks the same as the current one but better, a bit bigger and a tad more luxury... hmmm if that car comes with somekind of of AWD option even if it';s not always on I might have to jump on that.... Who knows... comfort is of major importance as well, maybe I need to go and drive it again to make sure I was totally comfortable since I think I was too impressed with the way it handled and drove and was grinning too much each time the boost kicked in when I floored it around the turns... ;) (the 2.5 ltd XT Scooby that is ;))

Oh, for some back ground, I'm pretty familiar with turbos, I used to have a Blue 89 VW GTi and transplanted the 1.8T from an Audi A4 into it, had N2O on it and a FMIC with all the other goods... that was a fun little turbo car, had to part with it though, I could not quit spending money on it and each time we went to the track something went kaput... too much money... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
tbert
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing