Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback base tungsten gray/ ivory interior
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new outback 2018 base model. It's programmed itself to have the radio ON at start up. How do I program to have it OFF at startup?

thank you in advance

Ps Loving the outback, came from VW, this car is a dream

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,780 Posts
You are joking - there is no "Off" button? Or there is, but some idiot programmer decided that everybody wants their radio on immediately upon startup?

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i, Twilight Blue and Titanium Gray
41 Posts
You are joking - there is no "Off" button? Or there is, but some idiot programmer decided that everybody wants their radio on immediately upon startup?
It wouldn't be some 'idiot programmer'. While there's certainly plenty of them, programmers write to specs. The requirement would almost certainly come from marketing. Possibly from support, if they thought it would reduce the over-all number of support calls from people who can't figure out how to turn on the radio. These things do get designed by committee, after all.

When I test drove one, the radio started blasting Molly Hatchet after I started up the car. I assumed it was just because the last test driver left the radio on. Apparently, it's always on?

Yea, not sure I like that. Oh well, I'll probably figure something out, or just get used to it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I'm fine with the radio coming on at start-up. What I really dislike is not having a start-up volume setting. I might be grooving to something when I park, but I don't want that same volume level on start-up. I prefer my start-up volume to be fairly low. This is the first car since my 2006 Jetta that didn't have a start-up volume.

A related issue is returning to the music when a phone call ends. My past several cars would ramp the volume back up from about a 65-70% of the previous setting. Again, it's less jarring than having the volume immediately returning to where it was.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
I've read a few threads on this. The answer is that the radio comes on every time you start the car. Only solution that I have read is to tune the radio to the sirius xm chnl 0 or 1 (I can't remember). It's the silent one. Just make sure you do that every time before shutting the car off.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
8 Posts
I've read a few threads on this. The answer is that the radio comes on every time you start the car. Only solution that I have read is to tune the radio to the sirius xm chnl 0 or 1 (I can't remember). It's the silent one. Just make sure you do that every time before shutting the car off.
Can't you just turn the volume down before shutting the car off? Seems easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When you say it seems easier, I have to ask, easier than what... I have a car that can auto correct lane alignment, stop itself, remember my seat setting, unlock the doors from anywhere in the world, recall the last station setting, turn headlights on automatically, tell me the tire pressure, navigate using only my voice, make telephone calls, automatically control wheel power and braking force but I cannot tell it to keep the radio off until I press the on button? That was a head scratcher when I discovered shutting the car off required me to anticipate the next start cycle. No it is not the end of any world, but come on that seems like a bit of a mistake. The default in my opinion should be a start up volume setting or a click off on the volume knob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.