Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new around here. Excited to pick up our new (for us) Outback this Thursday.

I'll repost my first two posts here as someone may find them useful.

Hi guys, I'm brand spanking new here, but perhaps I can offer my 2 cents.

Although I don't currently own a Subi (I have an '01 4Runner), we have been shopping around for my father and since he's got this mantra of always owning a different make for each car he owns, he wants to get off of his '94 Corolla and try something else...so we've been going around test driving Subaru's. I just want my parents to be in a car that I think will be uber safe for them, one that my father will enjoy driving, and one that will have an overall great feeling of fit and finish and quality that he probably skimped out on in the past

I've been test driving along with him just so we both have a feel for the car and I can offer my opinion.

We've driven an '09 Forester, 2012 Impreza, and a couple of '08 Outbacks.

Forester: Fun to drive, a bit noisy, overall I felt like it was a cheap toy compared to the OB. Oh and it's kinda ugly. I was trying to warm up to it, but my personal taste is a bit different. Some of that probably stems from the overall presentation of the car. The salesman let us take this on our own, so we had it for about 20-25 minutes and took it along the highway and side roads.

Impreza: I think it's a fantastic looking car, also fun to drive...but also lacking in overall quality. I think of this as more of a younger persons car (I'm 31 but still enjoy all things young and cool - **** I still look like I'm in my early 20's), but even if it wasnt a more "hip" looking car, I wouldn't go for this. Nor would I want it for my father (obviously). We drove this at the same dealership as the Forester and took it through the same rounds (20-25 mins, highway, side roads)

OB: Out of all the cars we test drove, this definitely felt the most solid. You can tell the difference simply by shutting the door and listening to the sound it makes. It doesn't sound/feel tinny. Also the interior is of much higher (to me) quality than an impreza. We drove both a regular 2.5i as well as the 2.5i LTD. When I was behind the wheel of the OB, it just felt more solid and fun to drive. When I asked my dad how he felt about the last test drive of the OB (he didn't get to drive it with oomph the first time around, as he doesn't have a lead foot like myself!), he absolutely loved it. He did a little dance, which I've never seen him do, and that told me all I needed to know. :) We should be picking up the OB LTD this week. We didnt drive this on the highway, but I drove the other 2.5i enough to know that it was better. It just felt more connected to the road. I know a lot of folks say the Forester/Impreza are more fun to drive, so I could be completely off my rocker, but that was my experience.

tl;dr version - stick to the OB, or at the very least go for a test drive if you haven't already with the 2012 or 2013 Impreza if you have them there.

What you might not be thinking of - storage capacity? Do you have any pets? kids? need space for sporting equipment? I think the OB is long enough to put a couple of bikes in without the need for removing any tires. My guess is winter driving is better in the OB as well due to higher ground clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just updating my last post (in case anyone is interested)

We decided to ditch the limited and go for the regular model instead (2.5i Touring, I think), as we didn't care for the leather seats or extra gadgets. There's a bit more mileage on the one we're getting (25k more miles), but it's in mint condition on the exterior and interior (the limited had scratches, and slight damage on the interior which was definitely noticeable and unsightly). This one still comes with a sunroof, and still a 2008.

Saving over 6000 (they also threw in band new tires of my choice - Goodyear TT). The subaru dealer wouldn't budge on the price of the limited, which is funny because we worked out a better deal with the Honda rep. Odd that Honda is doing a better job of selling Subaru's than Subaru themselves. *shrug*

We pick it up in a few days after they finish detailing. :)
Good to be aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My thoughts EXACTLY as you on the Forester. We just picked up a (new to us) 07 OB and test drove 8, yes 8 different OB and Foresters. Just amazing the difference in the quality and feel between the two. Our dealer just gave us the 8 set of keys and a license plate and said come on back when you are done and we can go from there! 2 hours later we were back and worked out a deal on the car. Same as you they didn't budge much off the price, but got 4 new tires as well as some other little stuff.

DRBondo©

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.