Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Dave if you havent figured that out. ;) I live just south of Seattle WA. More Subys up here than I'v seen anywhere else.

I had a 1994 Legacy Touring Wagon with the 2.2 Turbo and 4Eat. It was not anywhere near stock and ran real well. It was the two tone Blue and I am an old fart with a beard so many Acura's got smoked by GRAMPS. I loaned it to my son for a while while his WRX was out of commission and his ex-wife took it without permission and was hammering it around the Hilltop area of Tacoma and fried the 4EAT and I could not afford the $3,000 to rebuild it. I took all the aftermarket parts off and sold it for $900.

Today I picked up a 2006 Outback XT with 5Eat and 151,000 miles. Clean Carfax, from Colorado.
I am ordering the complete Headgasket and Timing belt set, head bolts all filters and will do the service soon. I also have a PErrin Cat-less up pipe from my 94 build that was not used, and a lot of 3 inch cat back parts but I am not ready to step up that much yet. I may get the stage 1 or 2 flash for the 5EAT. Anything else?

Between 20 MPH and 40 MPH it has a bad rattle/rumble like a loose plastic panel in the rear area. I will be trying to sort that too.

Reactions: Chilidawg

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
Welcome, Dave! The 3rd gen Outbacks are the prettiest they ever made. I really hope you document all the stuff you're going to do to that car, and I'll enjoy following your progress. As one silverback to another, Salut!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
The 2006 still has the passenger side banjo filter for the turbo oil feed. You need to check the condition of that filter. The '06 also has a catted up-pipe. Most folks are nervous about old cat material pre-turbo.

These cars at this age are notorious for vacuum leaks. I would get yourself set up to log data and make sure she id healthy before you start the Mods or Flashing.

I highly recommend XRT if you are looking for a tuner.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have no plans to street race this. I just want to make it as efficient as I can and make it last. I do like power and BOOST is addictive. But no stage 5 build here.

I am Retired Military and then went to work for GTE/Verizon/Frontier for 18 years. I commuted from 2006 till April 2015 on a motorcycle and had 3 crashes, none my fault. That April 15 crash made it so I had to retire Dec 1st, 2015 so I am a double dipper. But I will draw Social Security in 2018 so that will make me a triple dipper. :smile2:

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Check the rear u-joint (at the diff) for condition. Very common on 120k+ mile cars to have them loose or flat-spotted and cause noise/vibration issues.

Also wouldn't discount wheel bearings, but those are directly related to road speed/load and don't typically cause a vibration issue.

Welcome!

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I have isolated my Rumble at 20-40 MPH on rough roadways. The right front disc pads are worn and causing a huge amount of noise that goes away if I touch the brakes. The pads move around a lot. The brakes were quite for about 2 days and then that noise showed up. I looks like there may have been some cardboard "SHIM" in there to sell the car and it is almost all gone now, just a lot of fiber dust that looks like burnt cardboard... Don't ya love used cars sales? Can NOT prove it but I may post a comment on Yelp and Google about the dealer.

I have new rotors, pads and guide pins coming for all 4 wheels.

I have been told that the headgaskets on these years are NOT a problem. Is that true? I do smell old oil burning when I drive somewhere and shut it off. I'm thinking Valve Cover gaskets or PVC system hoses. We have had torrential rains the past couple days so I have not crawled under to see.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
The head gaskets typically do not present issues for the turbo cars, but can leak externally if abused.

Check the passenger side CV axle for torn boots. The grease likes to fling around and land on a VERY hot down pipe.

You might also have a dragging caliper. Extreme heat cycling can reshape the stainless steel clips that hold the brake pads into the bracket and will flop around. Check the condition of the brake fluid too: clear or slightly yellow is good. Cola-colored is bad.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, couple question on timing belt change. In the past it was recommended to replace the water pump and all cam seals while its apart.

1. Do I need a new water pump, and is the 2006 Outbacks 2.5 thermostat housing Horizontal or Vertical?

2. I have a standard size but lightweight front pulley, OBX Red. Do these work or cause harm?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check the valve cover gaskets the valve cover especially on the passenger side tend to leak since they are right next to the Up pipe...Headgaskets shouldn’t be an issue on Ej255 motor. But definitely do the timing belt, idlers, water pump etc if you don’t know the history. I’m almost at 200k on my 05 OBXT with a protune and I’m driving her to Colorado next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have most items on order from RockAuto. Use code 7096337963620627 in the "How did you hear about us" and get 5% off. I got $25.63 off.Does anyone run the lightweight pulleys?I bought this for my 1994 Legacy Touring wagon but did not get it installed. It is not the smaller one. The spec's said it fit 2006 Forester XT among many other years and cars.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
I have most items on order from RockAuto. Use code 7096337963620627 in the "How did you hear about us" and get 5% off. I got $25.63 off.Does anyone run the lightweight pulleys?I bought this for my 1994 Legacy Touring wagon but did not get it installed. It is not the smaller one. The spec's said it fit 2006 Forester XT among many other years and cars.
hope you are ordering "Aisin" brand stuff. (made in japan).

nothing good about Gates and the rest anymore = chinese (all of it).
@traildogck might know about lightweight stuff. (known to race his XTs on the pro drag track in Denver).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I have a Perrin LW CP on Frankie. There is a significant weight difference from the OEM. Like 7lbs difference . I don't know if the difference actually amounts to anything significant tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts