Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2011 Outback for my general use vehicle replacing the 2000 Chevy Tracker. I drive many logging & mining roads. The Tracker was equipped with daytime driving lights. I could disable these by simply placing the parking brake on the first notch. This allowed us to view much game & such of the evenings without the lights being on. The Outback is a different animal. Is there someway to disable these lights for our evening drives? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
he is incorrect about killing the bulbs. Mine are originals 10 years and 150K later... bulbs last much longer as they only run at 6V

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
Point is,

Inaccurate information draws all of your information into question... disabling DRL does absolutely nothing to increase the life of your bulbs... I have a 2010 and a 2014 that still have their original high beams... what KILLS your bulbs are flash to pass and constantly turning them on and off... bulbs quit working because the filament cracks completely through due to thermal cycling, not because they are constantly run at half of their voltage.

DRL is a safety mandate nothing more nothing less and in some areas you can fail inspection for improper/non functional lighting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not concerned with bulb life nor the law. I comply all I can. There are simply times I want the lights off & since there is no switch I was simply seeking advice on what might be done. That's all, nothing more or less. I'll probably purchase an extra relay to use when I take my trips or for most driving.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
want the lights off in the evening? wow can't wait until this ends badly....but, the good news is, it won't be me paying for it...

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited
106 Posts
Point is,

Inaccurate information draws all of your information into question... disabling DRL does absolutely nothing to increase the life of your bulbs... I have a 2010 and a 2014 that still have their original high beams... what KILLS your bulbs are flash to pass and constantly turning them on and off... bulbs quit working because the filament cracks completely through due to thermal cycling, not because they are constantly run at half of their voltage.

DRL is a safety mandate nothing more nothing less and in some areas you can fail inspection for improper/non functional lighting.
Ok, different states have different DRL laws, first of all. Second, the statement, "disabling DRL does absolutely Ito increase bulb life..." Is a statement that carries the burden of proof. Sure, it's running on 6v instead of 12v.... That's still current... "Absolutely nothing..."? Come on.
The rest, well, there have been studies. DRLs help, more so with light trucks and vans than passenger cars, and mostly with multiple vehicle crashes. In fact, with passenger cars and single vehicle to vehicle crashes, DRLs did not improve the stats in a statistically significant way.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029&ved=2ahUKEwjfnJL9jITrAhXwHzQIHXpACioQFjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2wecT45eDo1kIe1s9LT0dQ

They're not required in cars in the US by federal law. Interestingly, in 2009, the push to do so was shut down by public opinion and data that suggested DRLS are just bright enough to convince some folks that their headlights were in at night.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mod Edit:

This is in reply to a post made by YeuEmMaiMai that was partly edited and the following reply has also been edited however the substantive portion remains.

...you don't know what you're referencing here.
Yes, there are some very special reasons not to have your lights on at night. I hunt, when I am pulling into my camp spot at night, I turn my lights off to not spook elk, I'm on forestry roads, and going about 5 miles an hour.
Occasionally, we drive on the beach to a spot to watch the sunset. Lights off to not disturb others who are doing it. Perfectly safe. Before you decide to go off on this, it's very legal in the places we go to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Point is,

Inaccurate information draws all of your information into question... disabling DRL does absolutely nothing to increase the life of your bulbs...
The irony of your absolutism regarding accuracy of any information determining the accuracy of all information, followed by a statement that you can only back up with an anecdote, is fabulous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited by Moderator)
Mod Edit:

Current US events are in the news every day however it won't be in the news here. This is a refuge from those conversations and opinions and will be constantly treated as such by members. There many other forums where you can have those conversations but this is not that place.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,950 Posts
Let's be charitable to one another or else this thread will be locked soon enough. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts