Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pathetic stock horns have been discussed on here over and over and over, so this isn't another thread asking for suggestions on horns.

I plan to add a video for sound (once I can figure out how), but two weeks ago I installed the Hella Supertones and was a little unsatisfied with the sound. They were installed w/ a relay and were plenty loud, I just wasn't thrilled with the kind of sound.

Also, I used the wiring for the horn in front of the radiator for the relay, so I left the stock horn behind the passenger headlight b/c why not, right?

Anyway, this weekend I decided to change the sound a bit by replacing the stock horn behind the headlight with a FIAMM Freeway Blaster low tone. I'm much happier with the sound now! It's very much a "GET THE HECK OUT OF MY WAY" kind of sound.

I didn't put it on a relay, but I'm considering adding the high tone Freeway Blaster and a relay for both b/c apparently I love overkill.

ANYWAY... I just thought I'd throw it out there that anybody who wants to add a little umph to the Supertones, it can be done for just $16 w/ a plug-and-play FIAMM behind the headlight.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
So... Are you using 3 horns now? (2 Supertones + new one)

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, three horns now:

Two Supertone horns using a relay and the wire from the stock horn that was behind the grill. They're mounted with the Subimods Hella Horn bracket and sit right behind the grill.

One Freeway Blaster hooked directly to the stock wiring and sitting behind the passenger headlight where the other stock horn was.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
okay... I'll be waiting for your video!! I already have the "Two Supertone horns using a relay and the wire from the stock horn that was behind the grill. They're mounted with the Subimods Hella Horn bracket and sit right behind the grill." done so it'll be interesting to hear the difference with the new horn.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did your new Fiamm horn plug into the stock connector, or did you have to do some cut/splice work?
No cutting/splicing necessary. The connector on the end of the wire looks specialized, but it's just a female blade connector that will fit onto the male connector on the back of the FIAMM.

From what I understand, the FIAMM on the stock wire might not be as loud as it could be, which is why I'm still considering adding a relay.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
I have the Fiamm Hi/Lo Blasters installed as direct/no-mods replacement. I calc’d the load/specs and the oem horn circ is sufficient, without the need for a new direct/relay circ.<O:p</O:p
I also did not butcher the oem wires, and left it as-is (IIRC it has a 1/4" spade female shielded connector). I assembled another wire to mate with the horn/oem-wiring, to lengthen the wire assy altogether and add a stress loop, then waterproofed the terminals.<O:p</O:p
I have the Supertones on my Accord and yes they are louder (w/c wifey doesn’t like on her OB), but the Blasters are still louder than stock.<O:p</O:p

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
No cutting/splicing necessary. The connector on the end of the wire looks specialized, but it's just a female blade connector that will fit onto the male connector on the back of the FIAMM.

From what I understand, the FIAMM on the stock wire might not be as loud as it could be, which is why I'm still considering adding a relay.
Thanks - sorry if I'm being dense, but I did installed the Hella Supertones as you did, in the grill with the Subimods bracket, relay, and harness. I'm running the stock horn in the fenderwell/behind the headlight too.

Am I mistaken, or doesn't the stock horn have a power and ground wire within that plug? or is is just a power wire and ground is to the chassis?

Thanks again -

Hoppy

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I never quite understood why people are upgrading their horns. In my experience the idiot you're honking at doesn't care or is oblivious to the fact that you are honking.

What purpose does this serve? I'm not trying to put down the upgrade, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never quite understood why people are upgrading their horns. In my experience the idiot you're honking at doesn't care or is oblivious to the fact that you are honking.

What purpose does this serve? I'm not trying to put down the upgrade, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
I actually used my horn this morning... Some moron was drifting into my lane. I honked at him and he immediately straightened out.

Sure, it probably would have happened w/ the stock horn, too, but IMO the louder the better.

Aside from that... Some people like to just tinker w/ cars. This is something you can tinker with / personalize at relatively low cost (though the Hella set up from Subimods isn't exactly cheap). Not all mods are necessary.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I upgraded my '13 OB horns to a pair of HI/LOW PIAA 85112; they sound great, much louder and deeper than the stock equipment.

And yes the louder the better (within reason of course). The horns have served their purpose when someone is turning into me, did not see me, which tends to happen a lot here in the New Orleans area.

Can the stock horns perform the same function...of course, but the PIAA seem to project a louder stronger sound that quickly gets the attention.

I never lay on the horn when someone cuts me off because it serves no purpose [IMO]; the wife does, and more often than not she gets the middle finger, and it just enfuriates her further more.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never lay on the horn when someone cuts me off because it serves no purpose [IMO]; the wife does, and more often than not she gets the middle finger, and it just enfuriates her further more.
My wife is occasionally a 'ride the horn' person, too, and she usually gets the same results as yours. I keep my mouth shut most of the time (b/c happy wife.....), but I've never seen the point of it. My horn is generally used for quick bursts.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks - sorry if I'm being dense, but I did installed the Hella Supertones as you did, in the grill with the Subimods bracket, relay, and harness. I'm running the stock horn in the fenderwell/behind the headlight too.

Am I mistaken, or doesn't the stock horn have a power and ground wire within that plug? or is is just a power wire and ground is to the chassis?

Thanks again -

Hoppy
It appears that the plug is just a power plug... There's a single male blade connector in it.

The FIAMMs have two blades on the back of them, but come with a short grounding wire that you use to connect one of them to the bracket that holds the horn in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I replaced the stock horns on my '13 OB with Fiamms a couple months ago, and it was as easy as everyone said. The only "problem" I had was the connectors. Although the stock connectors fit the Fiamms, it didn't seem like a very tight connection. On the stock horns, the connectors distinctly snapped into place, but not on the Fiamms. I am watching them closely to see if the connectors vibrate off at some point.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced the stock horns on my '13 OB with Fiamms a couple months ago, and it was as easy as everyone said. The only "problem" I had was the connectors. Although the stock connectors fit the Fiamms, it didn't seem like a very tight connection. On the stock horns, the connectors distinctly snapped into place, but not on the Fiamms. I am watching them closely to see if the connectors vibrate off at some point.
You're right about the connection... The blade slid right in, but is only held by friction.

Try a tube of this stuff... Somebody on here recommended it for the connections on my Supertones that kept coming apart. I put enough on the connection w/ the FIAMM that I think it'll hold it just fine.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
I'd like to have my horn somewhat louder both for honking and for making the "alarm system" with shock sensor a more forboding - but not looking for a Hella at 116db. I want to be able to give a quick beep to a pedestrian or cyclist without shocking them into an inappropriate reaction. I know what it feels like to be on that side of things.

Anyone have a good horn upgrade to recommend that might suit me?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
You're right about the connection... The blade slid right in, but is only held by friction.

Try a tube of this stuff... Somebody on here recommended it for the connections on my Supertones that kept coming apart. I put enough on the connection w/ the FIAMM that I think it'll hold it just fine.
Hey thanks! I just ordered the stuff in clear (didn't want my messy work showing so much :) )

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Get out of my way !!

I think I'd use one that sounds like an 18 wheeler for the highway, and put the stock on a separate switch just to say Hi or warn a pedestrian. I need to find a good one that runs on electric and not air.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I actually used my horn this morning... Some moron was drifting into my lane. I honked at him and he immediately straightened out.

Sure, it probably would have happened w/ the stock horn, too, but IMO the louder the better.

Aside from that... Some people like to just tinker w/ cars. This is something you can tinker with / personalize at relatively low cost (though the Hella set up from Subimods isn't exactly cheap).
Fair Enough, diffrn't strokes.

Not all mods are necessary.
Honestly, I don't think any mod is "necessary". But I've done plenty too just because I can. I mean, who needs an extra 100 hp? But who doesn't WANT it :D (just one more of these Amazon.com: Add 10 HP Decal Adds Horsepower Car JDM Funny Vinyl Sticker: Everything Else and I'll be there ;))

Like I said, not trying to put the mod down, just more trying to understand it. Myself I'd put a dixie horn if I were to put anything :29:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts