Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 subaru outback wagon. The passenger side low beam doesn't light, even after I install a new bulb.

I switched out the right and left headlight relays and the problem remains the same.

I used my vom meter and made sure the voltage across the pins is the same on both sides and it is.

I then switched the gray headlamp encloses and not the problem is on the other side as I expected.

Next I will take the potential bad gray inner enclosure and check the voltage to see if one of the wires is bad, otherwise I will just have to get a new gray enclosure, well at least new to me.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Are you sure the right side low beam bulb was replaced? (Not uncommon for the wrong bulb to be replaced when working on the headlight assembly from inside the engine compartment.)

When the headlight switch is ON, does the high beam light on the right side work?

The high beam and low beam on the right side are powered from one fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. If the high beam works, then the fuse and, for that matter, the right side headlight relay are fine. Also, if the low beam on the left side works, then the daytime running light module and the headlight switch, are fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bulbs are different brands, so I am certain it was new bulb.

The high beam works on both sides correctly.

I assume it has something to do with the wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is only .18v across the low beam connector. Has anyone just replaced the wire or do I need to replace the complete headlight rear cover unit? Since I can't find this part, the only way to fix this is a complete unit. Wrecking yards want $85 each and for $95 one can get both? Any advice here?

I cut the wires that connect the wire harness to the assembly and measured the voltage from the bare wire and the same voltage .18. This connector seems like the problem. Is there a way to get one of these without having to buy a subaru?

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Check the continuity between the two low beam bulb connector wires and the three wire connector from the headlight assembly to the front wiring harness. There should be continuity (zero Ohms) between one pin of the socket to one of the pins of the three-wire connector, and between the other pin of the socket to a different pin of the three-wire connector. If one of these isn't good, that could lead to your problem. But, if that's the issue, it should be possible to trace along the faulty wire to find the fault, perhaps a break, and then just fix it.

See attached wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I have measured so far is:

I traced the two wires from the low beam to the wire harness.

With the light on and measured at the harness I get 12volts.

I cut the connector off with about 2 inches of wire to have room to work.

I soldered three new wires and attached the connector to the wire harness and those same two wires have .18volts across them.

I measure the resistance from the connector to the end of my soldered wire and these is as close to zero ohms as my device can measure. I should zero it, but the numbers for all three wires match.

I have taken the headlight assembly from the other side, the one that works, and moved the rear cover to the other lights to this side and it works.

The only part that seems like it could be the cause is the connector between the wire harness and the defective gray rear cover.

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
I traced the two wires from the low beam to the wire harness.

With the light on and measured at the harness I get 12volts.

I cut the connector off with about 2 inches of wire to have room to work.

I soldered three new wires and attached the connector to the wire harness and those same two wires have .18volts across them.

I measure the resistance from the connector to the end of my soldered wire and these is as close to zero ohms as my device can measure. I should zero it, but the numbers for all three wires match.

I have taken the headlight assembly from the other side, the one that works, and moved the rear cover to the other lights to this side and it works.

The only part that seems like it could be the cause is the connector between the wire harness and the defective gray rear cover.

Did I miss anything?
Not sure of what you did, e.g., which connector was cut off, and where wires were attached but if swapping in the short harness and cover from the left side works, then the problem has to be in the two wires between the right side low beam bulb socket and the three-wire connector (F7 in the wiring diagram). Put the two short harnesses (with covers) side by side and visually compare the sockets and connectors, and then compare the continuity between the same two points on each -- from the bulb socket contacts to the F7 contacts. Something should show up.

·
Registered
2002 Outback
705 Posts
I'm having the same problem as described here except both grey covers check out OK on continuity test between connectors inside and the small white connector on the pig tail. My (2003) OB is the 4 light system. When I turn on the headlights, the RH side low beam does not work and I measure zero voltage at the connector (with bulb disconnected). Measuring at the small pig tail (with grey cover disconnected) is also zero volts which would confirm that wiring in the grey cover is not to blame. With high beams on (and bulb connected), the bulb does light. I tried swapping LH and RH relays and problem stayed the same. Checked both head light fuses; OK. I disconnected left and right bulbs and measured continuity between connectors and the green to green had continuity as did the red to red. Black to black didn't but I think that is consistent with the wiring diagram (I'm using same one Plain OM posted). So it seems to be an open circuit between the fuse and the F7 connector... wonderful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts