Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
"Betty Drivemeanywhere" aka 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 AT CVT Ltd w/ Eyesight
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that North American Subaru owners have a new navigation system map update:

https://subaru-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal

2013 Outback owners, if you have installed the update already, will you please post your experiences?

I went to the website, and it appears to be very slow to download the update. I will try again in a few days.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Gave it a quick look and all I see is $149 update.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the one--a map update for 2012 Q3 for $149.99.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Geez, "buy" an update for maps that should have been up to date in November when I bought this car? I suppose they'll want labor to install it too. No way

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Does the AHA $100 software update include any mapping?

·
Registered
2013 OUTBACK 3.6 LIMITED
16 Posts
I just updated mine for free, received an email went to the dealer, they ordered the new card and updated it for me, Free, the tech informed me there is a service bulletin out for it. Map looks a little different, but I haven't used it yet

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that information, R. I'm looking to see what they can do for me.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6 limited
1 Posts
Update the map software for free , got the e- mail and they did it in 5 minutes just change the chip and voila . The new software is faster and it seems the xm radio and the gas information/miles on top of the dashboard is more accurate and works in unison .
When the voice comes out the radio keeps playing the rear speakers , maybe it was like that before I just did not notice before .

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited Indigo Pearl with Moonroof/Nav/Eyesight
9 Posts
I got a letter in the mail stating I was eligible for a free upgrade to the navigation system. I called the dealer and she said that because my car was built prior to 1/1/2013, I would need to pay $100 to upgrade to AHA radio and then I could get the free navigation upgrade. Can someone please tell me about the AHA radio and if its worth the $100 to get AHA so I can get the navi update? I am happy with my current XM radio but it would be nice to have an update to the navi if its available.

·
Registered
'13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start
267 Posts
With the Aha and free navigation upgrades you'll end up with newer 2012 Q3 maps, which would have cost you $150 if you had bought the maps when they came out. So doing both upgrades will put you $50 ahead. You can go to the Aharadio.com website and browse the available stations and podcasts to see if there is anything that floats your boat. I use Aha a lot so I don't have to pay a monthly subscription fee for XM. In the car, Aha also lets you search for hotels, restaurants, etc. via Yelp, and if you find something you like you can press a button to make that your destination in the nav.

·
Registered
'13 Outback Limited 2.5i, Venetian Red Pearl w/Wheel arch moldings, EyeSight, Nav, Moonroof, Puddle lights, Remote start
267 Posts
It depends on when your OB was manufactured. I believe that OBs that rolled off the line after June 2013 have the current firmware. Easy way to tell is if the sat radio icon on the left side of the audio screen says "Sat" or "XM". If it says "XM" then you should have the latest firmware. There are other checks involving looking at version numbers on your settings screen that have been detailed in other threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread started as a new navigation system map update. Yes the NAV firmware for many 2013 Subaru's is available for free until 31 Mar 14. This DOES NOT include an update to the MAPs database. As I understand it, supposedly my 2013 Outback that was built in Dec 12 and delivered in Feb 13 has the 2012 Q3 version of maps database. Maybe not. For sure the roads that are missing in my database were built in 2011 and early 2012. So, even if it is the 2012 Q3 database, it is incorrect. Guess I'll see if I can go online to varify my SD card.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience

It appears that North American Subaru owners have a new navigation system map update:

https://subaru-na.naviextras.com/shop/portal

2013 Outback owners, if you have installed the update already, will you please post your experiences?

I went to the website, and it appears to be very slow to download the update. I will try again in a few days.

My car is a 2013 Subaru Outback with Aha Radio (Harman Kardon unit)

This is my experience in a nutshell (purchased 2016-05-03):

1. If you go to My Subaru at Subaru.com, you will be able to download an app to order the update.
  2. The update is not an download, it is an SD card supplied by a third party, HERE Maps (previously NavTeq (sp)).
  3. The card is $200 after tax and shipping charges.
  4. You need no special knowledge to install it: Locate the slot, turn the car off, remove the old card, turn the car on, insert the new card and watch it update and follow any instructions. No code necessary in my case.
  5. The card, at least in my case, is missing one VR folder, so it will not work with voice recognition. To do that you would have to copy the folder from your old SD card. I did this out of frustration, I don't recommend it if you are not confident doing this.
  6. Neither HERE Maps, Subaru Customer Service or the dealer know this is happening and you will get any help from either. In fact HERE Maps (Daniel) will tell you he doesn't know anything about anything except the ordering process, and that he "knows" that the card does not require any specific files to work with the head unit. Subaru Customer Service (Jamie) will be very nice, but you will spend half an hour on hold waiting for a live person and the person assigned to you will likely not be there when you need anything, and the rest of the agents will wash their hands off the issue until your assigned person decides to show up. Then customer service (Jamie) will nicely tell you that HERE is responsible for technical support and will call the dealer for free diagnostics. The dealer (Subaru of Orange Park, Cliff) will spend two to three days "trying different things", and will progressively tell you there is nothing wrong with the card, then that you need to replace the head unit, and when you make them look totally incompetent they will acknowledge they were wrong, but they will say that the card is bad and have no way to know why or how to fix it.
  7. HERE Maps will then acknowledge no issue, but will offer to send you a new card with no guarantees that it will work.
  8. At this point, after 13 days, you will have wasted about 8 hours of your life on phone calls, trips to the dealer and dejection that, in frustration, you will stick both cards in your computer, do a side by side comparison and find out the problem (see above).
If you still believe you can win the lottery, by all means, order the navi update and hope for the best. You've been warned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts