Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
459 Posts
I just spent $$$ for a terabyte micro sd card for a phone I had to buy to use MySubaru. Now I have to purchase a usb dongle with more than the 32Gb my largest holds. Or see if it will update over wifi. We do have a Gb fiber optic connection.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
127 Posts
I just spent $$$ for a terabyte micro sd card for a phone I had to buy to use MySubaru. Now I have to purchase a usb dongle with more than the 32Gb my largest holds. Or see if it will update over wifi. We do have a Gb fiber optic connection.
I believe only 8 states can be updated at a time over WiFi. Your update speed is limited by the speed the Subaru connects to your WiFi network, nothing to do with how fast your Internet connection is.

I downloaded the update (about 1 hour) transferred to a USB stick (another hour) then installed it in my OB while I ran errands (another hour).

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There’s been no updated information about wifi map updates. It was supposed to be available back in the fall but never appeared and I haven’t seen any notifications that Subaru has enabled it. You can check, the benefit would be that theoretically you can select the regions or states you want to download instead of all of North America which should shorten the time required to download it. But even so it will depend on their server, kinda slow, not your internet service.

It took just under 30 minutes to download the update to the Map Updater app on my computer and then another half hour to install it on the usb drive.

On my Legacy it normally takes 25-30 minutes to install on the system. On my wife’s Onyx, December 2019 manufacture, it takes 90 minutes, the Legacy was manufactured in July 2020. I‘ll be going out for a drive later to install it. With my wife’s Onyx we’ll have to plan an extended trip to install it. I keep hoping we can get her CCU replaced at some point due to the other issues, I’m almost willing to pay for it ourselves, it is so slow compared to mine.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
127 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited
16 Posts
Macos Big Sur 11.3???

Has anyone been able to build their USB using Big Sur? Successful download, but at the step to copy files to the USB, I keep getting a message akin to "Unable to Format USB," no matter what I've tried so far. Perhap a boot into Safe Mode?
I've just booted a Catalina disk image, where of course I'm back to having to download all over again. We'll see what happens, and I'll check back.

UPDATE: download and USB build running successfully under Catalina.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium (Pre-Ordered)
167 Posts
Darn, three days after our family vacation. San Jose,CA to Pinecrest Lake.

Me: "Navigate to Pinecrest Lake in California."
Outback: "Navigating to Pinecrest Louisiana."
Me: 😒
That'd be a nice drive tho. Louisiana is pretty, even if we can be backward as ****.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Macos Big Sur 11.3???

Has anyone been able to build their USB using Big Sur? Successful download, but at the step to copy files to the USB, I keep getting a message akin to "Unable to Format USB," no matter what I've tried so far. Perhap a boot into Safe Mode?
I've just booted a Catalina disk image, where of course I'm back to having to download all over again. We'll see what happens, and I'll check back.
My 2013 MacBook Pro is on Big Sur. I didn’t have any problem. The Map Updater takes care of any formatting, I’ve never messed with that. Just download to Map Updater and then install, it even deletes the previous map data to install the new maps.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can download it as fast as the server allows, as someone mentioned.
And that’s the issue, the server speed will be far less than your internet speed. Unless you’re on DSL you probably wouldn’t see any difference no matter what speed tier you’re on. We had gig service during the height of the pandemic when Verizon upgraded everyone for free, now we’re back to our subscribed 200/200 service and the download time was exactly the same. At least the install time on more recent vehicles will be a lot faster than on the late 2019 or early 2020 cars.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited
16 Posts
My 2013 MacBook Pro is on Big Sur. I didn’t have any problem. The Map Updater takes care of any formatting, I’ve never messed with that. Just download to Map Updater and then install, it even deletes the previous map data to install the new maps.
Good to know you were successful. Done a few updates in the past, successfully using the same USB. Reinstalled the Updater just in case. Nope. Understand that the Updater does the formatting. That’s where the problem manifested. Updater gave the error message at just that step.

I’m now successfully running the Updater and building the USB under my old install of Catalina. That doesn’t mean that Big Sur was the problem, could be, but maybe something else running on my Big Sur installation. I’ll look into that later.

This is on a 2019 MacBook Pro.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
367 Posts
Getting my first service done soon, is this something I should just ask the dealer to do while he has it? Would they normally do it?

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
127 Posts

UPDATE: download and USB build running successfully under Catalina.
I created the last map update USB on a Mac Mini running Big Sur and created this most recent USB on a MacBook Air running Catalina.

I never formatted the USB stick. Map Updater handled everything.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
122 Posts
I'm curious why people are using the built in nav over something like Waze, which seems to edge it out in almost every metric.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
127 Posts
I'm curious why people are using the built in nav over something like Waze, which seems to edge it out in almost every metric.
1. Convenience.
2. Screen size.

I tend to use built in nav when I am going someplace relatively local and WAZE/GoogleMaps via Apple CarPlay when going on a longer trip.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
122 Posts
1. Convenience.
2. Screen size.

I tend to use built in nav when I am going someplace relatively local and WAZE/GoogleMaps via Apple CarPlay when going on a longer trip.
I suppose I just find Waze to be a lot more convenient for me. I'm able to load the destination on my phone as I'm walking out the door, just plug in my phone, and be instantly ready to go. No need for any map updates, fiddling with bugs, etc. It also helps me with traffic and speed traps, which can happen even if you're driving to the grocery store.

That said, built in nav has saved my butt a few times when I've needed to navigate while outside of cell coverage.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited 2.5
137 Posts
No cell service in some of the places my Outback takes me. I’ll use my cell phone and CarPlay when it’s available, but use the built in nav system when I get into the boonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
431 Posts
i am about to take a road trip and will probably install AFTER ... ya know, just in case there is an issue. I have had none in the past but now isn't the time and by the time i get to it ... all of you will have eased up on their servers... :)

1 - 20 of 156 Posts