Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m new here 👋🏼
Just recently upgraded from my ‘18 Crosstrek to a ‘22 Outback Wilderness and have been stoked with how it’s been riding so far! I’ve been able to take it out in some really deep fresh snow around my property (the new deep snow/mud Xmode is chefs kiss), but haven’t been able to hit the trails yet. I’ve added a few upgrades listed below and still planning to add a bumper guard, hood mounted ditch lights (looking at LP adventure brackets + Rigid pod lights), and tow hitch. Would love other ideas for add-ons!

so far…
-Rally Armor mudflaps
-Thule Aero Extended roof rack
-Yakima Skybox Lo roofbox
-Thule Outland Awning (hard sided)
-cargo net for trunk
-cargo space divider and waterproof dog bed (I transport my 2 goldendoodles everywhere, ~50lbs each)
-coin holder (swaps out the useless spark plug area cover)

Looking forward to learning more from the community and following along with everyone else’s adventures 😎

the trusty ‘18 Crosstrek I parted with:

Wheel Tire Car Automotive carrying rack Plant

and this is the new ‘22 OBW [WIP]:

Wheel Snow Car Tire Automotive carrying rack

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Snow

Sky Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Car Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Car

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
1 Posts
That’s a beauty, congrats! I just took our new outback wilderness out to an ohv area near Gorman, CA. Had a blast at the practice area. There are different hills, obstacles, mud pit, water pits etc. A great time. Thinking about skid plates. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s a beauty, congrats! I just took our new outback wilderness out to an ohv area near Gorman, CA. Had a blast at the practice area. There are different hills, obstacles, mud pit, water pits etc. A great time. Thinking about skid plates. Any ideas?
Whoa that’s awesome, I haven’t heard of an OHV practice area - gonna have to see if there’s something like that here in WA. I mostly ride forest service roads with some mild rocks/climbs so I’m not planning to go nuts with skid plates (I just have the standard front plate that comes with the Wilderness). I’ve been looking at the ones Primitive makes, LP adventure has a set that I’ve heard is pretty solid too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,155 Posts
Thanks, stoked to be here! It’s my first time joining any sort of forum like this - finally found a community I’m interested in enough to actually signup :)
Don't worry, we are fully capable of causing you to rethink joining.

Whereabouts in the PNW? I used to live in the PA/Forks area and was very familiar with cedar and chainsaws.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry, we are fully capable of causing you to rethink joining.

Whereabouts in the PNW? I used to live in the PA/Forks area and was very familiar with cedar and chainsaws.
Ha I’ll consider myself warned. I split time between Seattle and the Leavenworth area and spend most of my time riding out on the east side of the Cascades.

·
Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
724 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade. I also have the 2022. Pretty much threw the accessory book open and bought everything. I did not buy the rear divider but did get everything else including the doggie protection for the seats and the back area. You can find photos of mine here on the forum, and I did get all the skid plates too. I did change the tires out to Toyo A/T IIIs.

I also had the extra body protection installed at the factory with the factory hitch. You can see a picture of that when I took photos of the skid plates.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on the upgrade. I also have the 2022. Pretty much threw the accessory book open and bought everything. I did not buy the rear divider but did get everything else including the doggie protection for the seats and the back area. You can find photos of mine here on the forum, and I did get all the skid plates too. I did change the tires out to Toyo A/T IIIs.

I also had the extra body protection installed at the factory with the factory hitch. You can see a picture of that when I took photos of the skid plates.
Thanks, definitely enjoying the upgrade.
Just looked at your setup, so awesome already! those Toyos look like a blast. What else are you looking to do over time?

I wish I would have done the factory hitch - I’d love to know what you think after doing some towing. I’m looking to get a hitch so I can run a small trailer with four wheeler or snowmobile, with the occasional hauling to the dump from projects around my property. Not sure the best route to go yet.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Thanks, definitely enjoying the upgrade.
Just looked at your setup, so awesome already! those Toyos look like a blast. What else are you looking to do overtime?

I wish I would have done the factory hitch - I’d love to know what you think after doing some towing. I’m looking to get a hitch so I can run a small trailer with a four-wheeler or snowmobile, with the occasional hauling to the dump from projects around my property. Not sure the best route to go yet.
Have not had a chance for towing, though I do have a small cargo trailer that weighs maybe 250 pounds empty (originally for a motorcycle as a cargo trailer) I will use that to carry camping gear like a tent and other stuff. I plan to do some train spotting, which there are areas in a couple of rural spots that overlook tracks that will be perfect for video and drone launching.
My next mode will be getting a WARN winch for the car. I have to wait for them to make a mounting plate for it so we can mount it. The standard Outback kit from WARN will not work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome and the car looks badass!

Are the rally armor mudflaps orange or yellow? I like how they tie in the copper wilderness accents and wasn’t sure which to get. I’m guessing orange. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome and the car looks badass!

Are the rally armor mudflaps orange or yellow? I like how they tie in the copper wilderness accents and wasn’t sure which to get. I’m guessing orange. ;)
Thanks, I’m stoked with how it’s coming along! I went with the “Wild Orange” Rally Armor flaps - it matches the car accents perfectly. Definitely recommend if you’re looking to tie it all up nicely!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Whoa that’s awesome, I haven’t heard of an OHV practice area - gonna have to see if there’s something like that here in WA. I mostly ride forest service roads with some mild rocks/climbs so I’m not planning to go nuts with skid plates (I just have the standard front plate that comes with the Wilderness). I’ve been looking at the ones Primitive makes, LP adventure has a set that I’ve heard is pretty solid too.
I am in WA too! We have a couple off-road parks, but I tend to just go out to the 410 area. :)

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am in WA too! We have a couple off-road parks, but I tend to just go out to the 410 area. :)
That’s awesome! Any specific trailheads?

Your OBW is looking so dope btw!! How are you liking the hood mounted pod lights? Saw you ran the wiring through the door, clever idea. I really want to do a similar setup :love: looking at the LPadventure brackets and either some Rigids or Diode Dynamics SS3s

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
That’s awesome! Any specific trailheads?

Your OBW is looking so dope btw!! How are you liking the hood mounted pod lights? Saw you ran the wiring through the door, clever idea. I really want to do a similar setup :love: looking at the LPadventure brackets and either some Rigids or Diode Dynamics SS3s
Thank you! I think your on one of my FB Groups and/or we follow each other on Instagram. Yours looks familiar.

Usually I head up 70, 72, 73 in Greenwater and just wander. I run Gaia when doing that so I can keep track of the FS roads I go on. I have yet to hit any of the parks. I don't think I can do the Naches as my car length will be an issue on some of the tight turns. I've been on the Colockum trail on the E side between Wenatchee and Ellensburg. Planing a huge trip across WA on FS roads this summer.

Yeah, trying to find a way to get through the firewall was not fun. I still want to put a light bar up top and a relay switch.

I did use the LP Adventures brackets. I love my pods, but I may get bigger ones down the road. They are Baja lights.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you! I think your on one of my FB Groups and/or we follow each other on Instagram. Yours looks familiar.

Usually I head up 70, 72, 73 in Greenwater and just wander. I run Gaia when doing that so I can keep track of the FS roads I go on. I have yet to hit any of the parks. I don't think I can do the Naches as my car length will be an issue on some of the tight turns. I've been on the Colockum trail on the E side between Wenatchee and Ellensburg. Planing a huge trip across WA on FS roads this summer.

Yeah, trying to find a way to get through the firewall was not fun. I still want to put a light bar up top and a relay switch.

I did use the LP Adventures brackets. I love my pods, but I may get bigger ones down the road. They are Baja lights.
That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing some of your recs! I spend the bulk of my time riding out in the Lake Wenatchee/Fish Lake area, it’s super gorgeous and has a lot of variety. Definitely worth checking out, though they don’t allow anything wheeled during winter since it’s groomed routes (the snowmobiling is solid!). A bunch of my neighbors out there have Jeep setups for some light overlanding/crawling/camping - hoping to take the Subie out with them this summer. I hope you post about your planned WA FS trip, would love to see what route you pick!

Entiat Trial Map: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5313093.pdf

I feel you on the light bar and relay, would be awesome additions. Glad to hear you dig the LPs, I think I’ll go that route too. Also ordered some Orsini emblem wraps for funsies 😆

1 - 20 of 25 Posts