Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Xterra Off Road 6-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have been researching the new 2013 Outback for a few months, this site has been most helpful.

After a history of keeping vehicles for far too short a time, I am looking to settle down with a vehicle. I believe the Outback will fit that setup. I am not new to Subaru, I owned a 2009 WRX hatch with Cobb stage I. I absolutely loved that car (save for the seats and the trouble it got me into :) ) and I have been kicking myself for getting rid of it as it would have been paid off next year.

I just sold my 2012 Acura RDX, which was a great car but too expensive to leave in the garage. (My wife works down the street from me, so we carpool often.

That leaves our 2010 Xterra Off-Road 6-Speed, which is a most fantastic truck, and will be with us for the long haul.

This weekend, we drove a 2013 base 6-speed Outback.

Wow... this is a fantastic vehicle. I walked away impressed to say the least. Some preconceptions I had about this vehicle were smashed.

Too little power: Not true... sure you have to wind it a bit, but it felt great and it was plenty for everyday driving.

6-Speed had long throws: Not true, this is one of the most slick shifting manuals I have had the pleasure of driving. Makes the 5-speed unit in my WRX seem like a tractor.

It's ugly: Not true, although that is subjective... I think it is a good looking ride.

It rode very nicely, cornered well, the seats were fantastic and the interior was much more upscale feeling than I expected.

If we were to order one: It would be the 6-speed Premium w/ all weather package. Although the brochure says you can get the H/K sound system in the premium, you can't add that while building one online.

Well, now comes the wait... until after taxes until we can jump on the Outback. I promised myself I would drive more vehicles to compare, but now I just don't want to.

Oh, we also drove the Crosstrek... either I have outgrown my small car phase, or it was just not that nice of a car. Very raucous sounds coming from the 2.0, the 5-speed is horrible and it is very stiff. I was very surprised!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I had similar thoughts when researching and purchasing my 2013 OB: the power is definitely enough for what the vehicle; the six speed standard is smooth and easy to shift; I also agree that it's an attractive looking car - call my shallow, but I wouldn't have bought it if I thought it was ugly; and overall its an excellent value.

I ended up where it looks like you're heading: 6-speed premium with AWP. I also was interested in the H/K sound system, and although it says is available in the brochure you should note that it is ONLY available with the moon roof package as well. I didn't want the moon roof (would rarely use it, extra weight, something else to break, and ridiculous price), so H/K went out the window. I'm no audiophile, but the stock premium stereo after you play around with the settings isn't half bad (to my ears).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, that makes sense. I too would forego the H/K then, as I don't want the moon roof either. I thought even the 4 speaker base system sounded decent, so I would be happy with the 6 speaker. I find the Outback is a lot of car for the money, but I don't want to go out of control with the options :)

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
You can get the H/K without moonroof. At least on the limited.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, top I can go is the Premium as I will be buying the 6-speed. I'm sure it is a great system but I will be happy with the 6-speaker I think. Heck, with a tad bit of tweaking (like boosting the bass / treble and completely cutting the middle) the 4 speaker even sounded decent.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You can get the H/K without moonroof. At least on the limited.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide App
H/K is standard on the Limited and requires the Moonroof Package on the Premium.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
H/K is standard on the Limited and requires the Moonroof Package on the Premium.
Ahhh....glad I could get the limited then....I like the system but wouldn't have gotten the moonroof to get it.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I too was very impressed with the 2013 Outback. I drove the 2010 when it first came out, and while I liked it, I wasn't awed enough to buy one. Wen my wife and I drove the 2013 Outback, we immediately stopped thinking about waiting for the 2014 Forrester that we were planning on getting. I'm impressed with the car everything I get into it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
I have a 2012 Limited with HK system and moonroof. I love every aspect of it and I'm sure you will too. BTW in in Ft Collins.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Ahhh....glad I could get the limited then....I like the system but wouldn't have gotten the moonroof to get it.
Yeah H/K would have been great, but I definitely did not want the moonroof and wouldn't trade my stick for it :29:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts