Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up subi fam! I'm new here and just wanted to drop this Quick gen 1-6 overview article I found on Motor Trend. It's a pretty decent general summary of overall options and differences. Hope that helps!

I'm here cause I recently decided to do a (lite) overland stealth camper conversion on my '16 outback. Just want to do some work a little chunk at a time on simple mods; ie- roof cargo rack, hitch, maxout tire size, sleeping area platform/storage, mayyyybe solar panels, etc. Might do some minor performance upgrades but I am in no way a mechanic so nothing tooo major.

Any tips, tricks, experience, do's & don'ts would be much appreciated!

Keep the rubber down y'all ✌🏕🏞

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,337 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll find plenty of information on the kind of things you're talking about doing posted under this subforum; just browse it or search out specific topics.

And the definitive website that talks about differences between - and also within - the Subaru generations is here.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,657 Posts
What up subi fam! I'm new here and just wanted to drop this Quick gen 1-6 overview article I found on Motor Trend. It's a pretty decent general summary of overall options and differences. Hope that helps!

I'm here cause I recently decided to do a (lite) overland stealth camper conversion on my '16 outback. Just want to do some work a little chunk at a time on simple mods; ie- roof cargo rack, hitch, maxout tire size, sleeping area platform/storage, mayyyybe solar panels, etc. Might do some minor performance upgrades but I am in no way a mechanic so nothing tooo major.

Any tips, tricks, experience, do's & don'ts would be much appreciated!

Keep the rubber down y'all ✌🏕🏞
There are several other Outback owners who have done the same thing or are engaged in building something similar - search for their threads/posts.

Realize that if you're building a camping rig in an outback, the rear springs are relatively soft and you might want to get stiffer springs. Stiffer springs work best with stiffer shocks. Since you have a Gen 5 Outback you could get Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks. One guy put B4 in front with stock springs and B6 in the rear with stiffer Rallitek springs and liked the combo. If you go with stiff rear springs and shocks don't upgrade your rear sway bar (might even try taking them off).

Maxing out the tire size is not the best idea especially if you have the 4 cylinder. Your car will already be laden with a lot of extra weight and the rotational mass of beefy wheels and tires will suck torque and horsepower even more.

This article is worth reading - it explains one perspective - it's not gospel so take what you will from it. It's your car and we love seeing what people do to make it their own. There's no one right or wrong way. Do it your way, but be aware of the trade-offs in your build:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are several other Outback owners who have done the same thing or are engaged in building something similar - search for their threads/posts.

Realize that if you're building a camping rig in an outback, the rear springs are relatively soft and you might want to get stiffer springs. Stiffer springs work best with stiffer shocks. Since you have a Gen 5 Outback you could get Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks. One guy put B4 in front with stock springs and B6 in the rear with stiffer Rallitek springs and liked the combo. If you go with stiff rear springs and shocks don't upgrade your rear sway bar (might even try taking them off).

Maxing out the tire size is not the best idea especially if you have the 4 cylinder. Your car will already be laden with a lot of extra weight and the rotational mass of beefy wheels and tires will suck torque and horsepower even more.

This article is worth reading - it explains one perspective - it's not gospel so take what you will from it. It's your car and we love seeing what people do to make it their own. There's no one right or wrong way. Do it your way, but be aware of the trade-offs in your build:

Idk about all that haha but hey! Good to know bigger tires isn't always a great idea💡 thank you for sharing your experience!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum! You'll find plenty of information on the kind of things you're talking about doing posted under this subforum; just browse it or search out specific topics.

And the definitive website that talks about differences between - and also within - the Subaru generations is here.

Yoooo there are so many options and it's hard to know where to start but this will DEFINITELY help. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts