Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i SOHC recently replaced at 140,000 miles after a catastrophic HG failure.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was really hot (92-97f, about 35C) the other day. Whenever I went up a long hill on the highway, the coolant temp would nudge up to the start of the red zone (110 to 117C according to bluetooth ODB dongle & Torgue Lite on my Android phone) and the A/C would blow hot air. When I leveled out or went downhill the temp would drop back to 9 o'clock (under 106c) and the A/C would start blowing cold air again. This cycle repeated whenever going up a long hill or extended idling in rush hour traffic.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Gerard

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
Probably the engine control module turning off the AC compressor when the engine is under excess load.

The high temperature (and the start of the red zone is very high), probably should be investigated. Granted 35 C is hot, and going up a long hill can generate a lot of engine heat, but the cooling system should be able to handle it. We don't know what the condition of the cooling system is like, but one thing to verify is that both fans are working properly. Overheating when idling in traffic is one symptom of possible fan problems, among others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.