Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5L Premium - Ice Silver
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola! Just picked up a 2018 2.5 premium in ice silver yesterday. Loving it!
My family has a place in the mountains, so we took it on it's inaugural trip up i70. I have to say I had my reservations driving it from ~5000 ft elevation to ~9000 as my last vehicle was a Tacoma, but the outback was great! It had plenty of power, and I never even revved it above 4000 rpm (still breaking it in). It's going to be an awesome ski and camp wagon.

I might start a thread logging the places we take it, but I definitely want to start a thread detailing my experience taking it up i70. Being a Colorado driver, that's the gold standard test for any outdoorsy vehicle as far as getting around goes and I only found maybe one or two threads and no YouTube videos detailing the outback 2.5's performance on the mountainous section of i70.

-Shortround

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,855 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
such things land here:

Gallery - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

and
Trip Reports - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

and what octane gas you pumping there? some people living in the in the highest mountains in colorado. pump only 91 (2.5 or 3.6,...or turbo,...all getting the highest octane at the local pumps,...without regard to what the fuel door or book says).
Thanks!

Here in Colorado we have the choice between 85, 87, and 91. Generally I put 91 in my cars.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
I might start a thread logging the places we take it, but I definitely want to start a thread detailing my experience taking it up i70. Being a Colorado driver, that's the gold standard test for any outdoorsy vehicle as far as getting around goes and I only found maybe one or two threads and no YouTube videos detailing the outback 2.5's performance on the mountainous section of i70.

-Shortround
Really, the Colorado Gold Standard?

I can't say that I would agree. There are those who out there who would rather take Loveland Pass vs the Eisenhower. However, there are many, many...many different types of folks out here.

BTW, Frankie will crush 100 mph up Floyd Hill, if that matters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

-Shortround
Really, the Colorado Gold Standard?

I can't say that I would agree. There are those who out there who would rather take Loveland Pass vs the Eisenhower. However, there are many, many...many different types of folks out here.

BTW, Frankie will crush 100 mph up Floyd Hill, if that matters.
You're right- I guess I should have said it's my gold standard haha. It's pretty much the most difficult drive I ever put my cars through, so it performs well there, then I'm happy. Loveland pass is a good test, too. I would assume Frankie is your OB?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
Yes. You being new here, you have spared the saga that is FrankenWagon. Look at my signature or search my build threads. I will save you the trouble. I have 2 modified OBXTs. And all the troubles associated with 2 modifed cars

Personally driving the mountains is a cake walk.

The hardest driving I have ever put either car through...navigating the cracks and craters downtown. (after the h*ll that is 1-25) If you car can make it past Coors field on the street without destroying car, then I guess you earned for seats for the game. Both cars have suspensions upgraded to tank status. Ever wonder why there are so many Jeeps and Off-Road trucks and SUVs downtown? Because it IS off-road.

I-70 at 9pm on a weekday would feel like a vacation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts