Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! While I do not yet have own a Subaru, I've been a fan for a long time. Will be purchasing a new vehicle next spring, and I'm finding that these forums are a good place to do research. I get more of a feel for how people really like or dislike certain aspects of the vehicles, and get away from the marketing hype.

I've been driving a mini-van of one brand or another for too many years, and just recently purchased a Honda Civic. While I like the vehicle, it is not a practical car for us at this time. So we are looking at cross-overs and small SUVs. Subies are at the top of my list (Outback and Forester), followed by an Equinox and a Jeep Patriot. Nothing in the Ford line-up interests me. Kia Sportage and Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Mitsubishi Outlander also interest me. I'll have fun test driving them all, but I really like the draw of Subaru's AWD.

So, I'll be doing a lot of reading, and asking some questions here and there.

One item that concerns me a bit, and I read this on the Forester forums . . . has to do with the "fact" that if your tires are worn and you lose one, you really should replace all four. Gotta give that some serious thought, as I HATE having to buy tires. Oh well.

I look forward to "meeting" many of you around the forum!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Howdy.

And regarding the tires thing: welcome to having AWD, it is how most of them are now. However, over the lifetime of the vehicle, it is a minor cost if it occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know that in the grand scheme of things, I shouldn't let it sway me. I don't drive off pavement much at all, and what they can do to patch/fix tires today covers most incidents. I've had to have two tires patched since I can remember. The more annoying issue really, is the SHORT life of OEM tires!!!

Sent from my YP-G70 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2012 2.5i CVT Black
10 Posts
Hi Bob-
I owned a Honda civic also. It was a great "little" car. I now own an Outback and for the first time in a long time I'm in love with a car :)
I usually hate the winters but I can't wait for the snow to fall...you should know snow being from Michigan...lol
Hope you find the car of your dream whether it's a Subaru or not.

RR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,RR! I am thinking that it is going to be a tough decision, from what I have been reading. Both Subies have characteristics that I really like. Maybe, when I test drive them, one will stand out.

Two years ago when my wife tested them, we really had a tough time choosing. She wound up leasing a Toyota Venza. We'll be testing them both, plus I am encouraging her to test a Legacy as she likes sedans so much.

Sent from my YP-G70 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Subaru Outback Limited with Navigation (Ruby Red Pearl)
2 Posts
I too owned a Honda Civic and thought it was a great car. However, we wanted an AWD vehicle to take to the mountains, explore waterfalls, etc while maintaining good fuel economy. After researching, we decided on the outback and just brought her home on Saturday. So far, we love it! Good luck with your decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts