Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4, 5 Speed Manual Transmission
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. My name is Dan and I live in the Binghamton, NY area. My wife and I are picking up our new (to us) 2001 Outback. I'm new to Subarus and I'm sure I'll pick up a lot from the forum. Anything I should be aware of with these cars before we take delivery? It seems to be in great shape, no corrosion, 96K mis, 5 speed trans, 2.5L... Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Nice looking. Welcome to the forum. I'm not too far away from ya. I would personally have a mechanical inspection first by an independent shop , but that's me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm having someone who's a little more familiar with Subarus look it over for me, but it seems to be in great shape. Undercarriage looks clean, good tires, new clutch, etc. It was a PA car so it doesn't have the normal NY undercarriage corrosion (they don't use salt on the roads in PA).

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
I'm just up the road a bit, near Cortland. Good mechanical inspection, attention should be paid to all the spinny bits such as axles, wheel bearings, check it for torque bind, look closely for signs of head gasket leaks externally, and for signs of moisture in the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those tidbits. I'll make a note and make sure we look everything over really well.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
Also check for signs of oil in the coolant. -> common headgasket problem thats an easy way to tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts