Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Lim, wife/2005 Chevy Tahoe LS 4x4, me
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can see by my misspelling of "Subie" that I really am a wannabe.

My wife and I have been looking at purchasing an Outback for the last couple of months, and have been admiring them for the last couple of years. I have been creeping on this forum for about a month. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Q#1: Subaru financing: Is there "always" a special finance deal on the Outbacks, or will I be giving something up I don't pull the trigger on the February 0.9% deal?

Q#2: I keep my cars for a long time. Am I better off negotiating in an extended warranty at the time of purchase, or should I wait until 35k to shop around the nation for the best deal on extending? i.e. is there leverage in this?

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
I am not a fan of any extended warranty, IMHO if the car will breakdown it will happen during the the first three years and of course it still under warranty, I also kept my car for a long time, and knock on wood I never experience a major breakdown except for the normal wear and tear. Again it is just me and for others its their call.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
0.9% is pretty darn low that's under 1%
Extended warranty is up to you, I don't have one $1700 to $2100 is a lot of money to me. You still have to maintain your car, out of pocket, more money,but that's me, if it starts costing me $500.oo here 500.oo there, it's gone. You remember that movie (Money Pit) First 3yrs. it's on them, you'll know down the road what to do. The mark up is what breaks my ba**ls. They have a warranty for everything, just be on your toes, and don't take any kids with you, so you can think!!!! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Finance rates depend on your credit score. The 0.9% rates are normally; but not always, available to customers that have excellent credit ratings (in the 800's).

For the Subaru Gold SAS, there are a couple of things that you can take advantage of early on like Road Hazard, Trip Insurances, and Car Rental/Loaners should the car be in the shop overnight or longer. I bought my SAS upfront as I was offered a good deal and have used it in the past. Many would recommend that you wait until about 30k miles and/or 30 months. Prices may change; however, they have not for the last couple of years.

Additionally, I would not consider any extended warranties other than the SUBARU old SAS. I bought mine, not for the engine or drive train; but rather, for all the other expensive stuff that came with the car - each of which would completely offset the cost of the SAS. Price a single tire and rim replacement, for example.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
0.9% is pretty darn low that's under 1%
Extended warranty is up to you, I don't have one $1700 to $2100 is a lot of money to me. You still have to maintain your car, out of pocket, more money,but that's me, if it starts costing me $500.oo here 500.oo there, it's gone. You remember that movie (Money Pit) First 3yrs. it's on them, you'll know down the road what to do. The mark up is what breaks my ba**ls. They have a warranty for everything, just be on your toes, and don't take any kids with you, so you can think!!!! Good Luck.
$1,700 - $2,100 is way too much even if you are considering a 7 year, 100,000 mile, Gold SAS with No Deductible. That is even if you have a 3.6 H6.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
The Subaru financing deals come and go. The 0.9% is a good deal and if you thinking about pulling the trigger, I'd jump on it. In my experience they tend to change monthly, so 3/1 could be a different rate.

As G-Omaha alluded to, with great credit low rates are attainable all year. IMO <1% will only happen with a financing special, but <3% is doable from most banks. I've financed 3 cars through Subaru Finance via Chase bank and have always been satisfied with the service.

As for the warranty, I got one. I've already used the road hazard for a flat tire and it's worth the peace of mind to me. If your'e financing it comes out to <$10/mo. I can understand the arguments against it, but for my $$, I'm keeping this car for at least a decade, so I like knowing I'm good for 7 yrs of that.

And ONLY get the Subaru extended warranty.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I purchased my car on 5/29/12. They beat the financing that I came prepared with. At the time it seemed that new car rates were around 4.5% for a 60 month term. With an 800+ credit score, my Credit Union gave me 2.99%, so SOA/Chase gave me 2.90% (big whoop), which leads me to believe that they'll beat whatever you come in with. I think 0.9% only applies to a 36 month term, but I went longer. I personally didn't want a short term larger payment since I had to put my daughter in day care, which is like a mortgage payment on a small house!

Also, the warranty is fully negotiable. I am not a fan of extended warranties, so I declined it twice until they offered me the 7yr/100k gold plan for about $700 (down from about $1200). My wife was right next to me and she gave me the nod to go ahead with it. If I was alone, then I might have kept declining. Like stated above, it doesn't add much to the monthly payment anyway. It is transferable so maybe I can make some if it back when I sell the car. I tend to keep cars for 5 years, but I want to keep the OB longer if I don't get tempted by another new car.

So take this for what it's worth: Purchase the car at the end of the month. Get pre-approved financing as low as you can find and have SOA beat it. And haggle until they cave in to giving you a cheap warranty.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
You can't beat 0.9%. When I bought (Aug. 2011) they were offering 2.9% through Subaru, the finance guy shopped around and got me 2.71% through Citizen's (60 month but also good for the 63 month term I took).

On the warranty, as others have said it's nice to have it from the get-go for all the add-ons it gives you. OEM tires carry ZERO road-hazzard warranty, the Subaru Gold SAS adds that for you. The price is negotiable, I thought the price they quoted was fair at the time based on previous experience with a different make and dealer, I find out now that I could have done a little better (5/60 $100 deductible for $700-$800, I don't recall, previous experience was 50% more for the same and wasn't even manufacturer-backed). I got the 5/60 to at least cover the entire car through the loan, though it looks like I'll hit 60 before I hit 5.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
... will I be giving something up I don't pull the trigger on the February 0.9% deal?
That's so low that waiting/hoping for a lower rate wouldn't save you much
even if it happened. The difference between 0.9% and 0.0% is less than
$10/month on a 5-year $25,000 loan.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I like the Extended Warranty as I tend to keep cars till they are long in the tooth. I have all the lighting/power/audio bells a whistles and there is still no verdict yet on the $8000+ CVT. For a smidge over $1,300 I have peace of mind for seven years with no out of pocket expense. Your tolerence, pocketbook and mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
I started casually looking about 6 months ago and the Subaru finance rate has never been higher than 1.9% during that time. My local credit union is currently offering 1.74%. I just bought last Saturday.

As far as an extended warranty, they pushed it really hard on me (because they make a ton of money on it) but didn't deal a whole lot on price. I don't buy an extended warranty; I tell them if the vehicle needs it, I don't want the vehicle. I've been buying cars for 30 years now and would never have used an extended warranty so I figure I'm lots of money ahead.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
You can run the car 2-3 yrs on the 12,000 mile per year or less average and still call Subaru up and purchase the extended gold warranty if you feel that you need it.

I have never understood why people purchase this with the car given the first three years your covered anyway. If you still have the car by year three and have suspicions that it might be a good idea either due to the car's history or possibly your sensitivity to costly repairs financially then you can always go and get it.

Buying the gold warranty the day you purchase the car is like handing the dealer a big fat bonus check for smiling at you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can run the car 2-3 yrs on the 12,000 mile per year or less average and still call Subaru up and purchase the extended gold warranty if you feel that you need it.

I have never understood why people purchase this with the car given the first three years your covered anyway. If you still have the car by year three and have suspicions that it might be a good idea either due to the car's history or possibly your sensitivity to costly repairs financially then you can always go and get it.

Buying the gold warranty the day you purchase the car is like handing the dealer a big fat bonus check for smiling at you.
I tend to keep cars every bit of seven years is why I bought mine.
In 8500 miles the road hazard tire portion has already bought me two tires.
Yes it's off the pavement a lot. To each his own though. Only time while tell if its worth the cash.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Historically speaking Subaru has never needed to offer low interest loans like the other auto makers Ford - GM and now commonly Toyota. Simply because they avoided over supply and they also had the largest number of Cash Buyers in the Auto Business. So Subaru never really had to provide financial Incentives to sell their cars. Just a couple of years ago 1.9% financing by Subaru was a rare thing and you almost never saw anything under that. So when I hear .9% I just laugh at how worthless money has become.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I tend to keep cars every bit of seven years is why I bought mine.
In 8500 miles the road hazard tire portion has already bought me two tires.
Yes it's off the pavement a lot. To each his own though. Only time while tell if its worth the cash.
Pretty sure tire warranty is completely on the tire maker and has nothing to do with Subaru regardless of the warranty you purchase with the car. At least thats been the case with every car I've purchased.

I have a 2001 sitting in the garage 7yrs ain't nothing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty sure tire warranty is completely on the tire maker and has nothing to do with Subaru regardless of the warranty you purchase with the car. At least thats been the case with every car I've purchased.

I have a 2001 sitting in the garage 7yrs ain't nothing.
Gold Plan
Gold Plus plans include all Classic plan coverage plus hundreds more parts. In fact they provide essentially the same "bumper-to-bumper" coverage as the basic factory warranty. Only a few maintenance items and body parts are not covered. The Gold Plus plan also reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel, plus: 24-hour emergency roadside assistance*, $100 allowance for "Sign & Drive" dispatched towing, jump start, tire change, gasoline delivery, locksmith service, road hazard tire protection, computerized trip routing, dealer locator service and travel assistance.

Tire makers don't tend to hand out free tires when you run over road debris.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
1. Arrange your own financing before you see a dealer.
2. Put $50/month into an account. After 3 years you will have $1800 for a major repair. If you don't use it, go on a vacation.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
1. Arrange your own financing before you see a dealer.
2. Put $50/month into an account. After 3 years you will have $1800 for a major repair. If you don't use it, go on a vacation.
#1. +1

#2. $1800 is not a major repair.;) A new CVT is about $8800. That's a major repair, only 14.6 years @$50/mo or almost 7 times what I paid for warranty.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
#1. +1

#2. $1800 is not a major repair.;) A new CVT is about $8800. That's a major repair, only 14.6 years @$50/mo or almost 7 times what I paid for warranty.:rolleyes:
But the CVT is already covered for 5/yr-60,000 miles, close to what an extended warranty will cover.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts