Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2015 outback 2.5i prem w eyesight.. Prev: 05 outback 2.5i base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new member here! Just a quick (errr not so quick) intro per the rules! Ramble possible, so feel free to skim!!

I'm new as a member and to posting, but have been following these threads over the last year or two. I bought my first outback, '05 - 2.5i (currently has 180k on the body, and 65k on the engine) in the spring of 2018, and I will probably never switch to anything outside of the outback world.
I barely new what to expect when I first got it, and after not one, but 2 engine swaps (the first time around the garage installed a crap engine, and wouldn't do anything about it when i mentioned the bent rod noise... They said 'thats normal' but no it was way louder and more distinctive than the normal valve tap that we know and come to love, I pressed but they wouldn't listen and practically pushed me out the door), approx 2 years, and about 5 grand in replacement parts/labor costs, I began reallyyy getting more involved in what I could do myself to save money and keep my roo on the road and in good condition.

So in 2019/2020 I started researching, and always ended up here.
I mean i did finally find a decent trustworthy local mechanic over a year ago, who was shocked that the previous garage didnt take the engine and send it back immediately after install, he did the second engine swap for me this past spring after it finally kicked, but first got me a set of trans selenoids for 100$, that the stealership said would cost 3 grand not including labor).
things started to look up from there which was nice. While it lasted lol.
Being that the previous owner didn't fully maintain the car, small things kept creeping up on me, followed by larger issues, in a rather vicious circle hahaha.
Let me tell you, my luck with cars is impeccable!!! 🤣 yeah right.
Anyways the back and forth with certain things is what lead me to this forum, and you guys have been my go to since!!

I've learned so much about my 05 that now I'm the one giving others advice when I hear them talking about an issue they're experiencing.
And I have you all to thank for that, not just for my knowledge, but for saving me money along the way. As much as I've spent on labor I've definitely made up for it due to this resource!
I knew basics prior but never thought I'd be able to change a timing belt (pulleys and water pump too), replace valve cover gaskets, or know what a pcv valve is let alone that there is such a thing.

Somethings are hit or miss, considering all the stuff just one noise or feeling can be when youre first looking into it.

I'm still having a cpl issues with certain stuff nothing major though. (ac tensioner pulley is bad diagnosed that today!, ps buzz going on now that the bad bearing in the pulley is gone... might need struts, and maybe rear wheel bearings)
BUT im actually planning to move on, and buy a new (to me) 2015 outback this month. The miles are under the limit I set and the price fits within the low side of my current budget. Which is great considering the market rt now.

I just think its time finally, that i deserve a slight break from the upgrading of older original parts, and instead start investing in something i can start off in line with and stay next to, the game of catch up is only fun for so long!!
All in all, I've tried checking out other vehicles per the usual process, but i'm comfortable in an outback and after everything I've learned?!? I just can't see myself being in any other vehicle. (The engine set up of something else alone would throw me for a loop.)

I'm stoked to move on from timing belt worries and head gasket problems like the older models bring, but the hardest part will be letting go of this 05, ive put A LOT into it, and its a love hate thing by now.

My only toss up is that when the time comes I'm not sure whether to list it in whole and as is, to a loyal subaru customer (who can and wants to upgrade the few things left and really help it shine the rest of the way), or (considering the things I've installed just over the last year) part it out and make more than one subaru customer happy...

Either way it will depart my life to the sweet tune of jerry singing the opening lines of "brokedown palace"

If you read all of that and have gotten this far, a reward is in order! If not I don't blame you!

Sorry for the length!!!

Any advice on the 05 and/or advice on the purchase of the 2015 is more than welcome and is greatly appreciated! As is all of the advice you guys have already unknowingly given me since 2019!!! I look forward to more!!!
✌🏼

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,491 Posts
Welcome along, to the forum.

Seagrass

Reactions: KyR008

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Reading your post makes me grieve for when I got rid of my 2005 Legacy Wagon.

Getting a 10 year newer car will be a real leap forward. Many of us think very fondly of the third generation outback like the one you have - compact, agile, and I love the simplicity and practicality of it, but as cars age they do become money pits, but when I see a clean 3rd gen on the road it turns my head.

With used car prices relatively high now, as long as the car is in running condition, isn't riddled with rust and would pass a safety check, it would be a shame to part it out, plus the hassle of doing it that way. Selling it whole will be a clean break and you would be giving someone a diamond in the rough that in the right hands can live a second (third?) life.

Kudos for taking such good care of your subie and hope that the next one is a welcome relief!

Reactions: KyR008

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
704 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Best of luck with your 2015 purchase!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,842 Posts
Welcome! My guess is that you would be better off selling it as a whole, and if you get your post count up to 15 now, you can do that in the For Sale section once you're ready to list it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts