Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Legacy Outback Pzev Obsidian Black Pearl, NA 2.5i, Automatic Transmission
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Kyle and I reside in the Arizona Valley. Previously I owned a 98' Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon which was a little fun sporty spirited driven car but I was looking for something much newer and within my budget and now I proudly own an 09' Legacy Outback Pzev! I love and enjoy how comfortable this vehicle is. Every month I take long trips up into the Northern Arizona territory and that was another reason I was looking for something more commutable for such journeys alike and this is it! Before my current daily I have now, my other Subaru was the lower stanced style with coilovers and light mods. It had 2.2L Legacy dual port heads, Borla headers, intake cone, stock STi axleback exhaust, Kartboy short shifter, 17" Impreza WRX wheels and Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers. Nothing screaming much other than the axleback itself when I'd take the muffler off haha

Now that my taste in Subarus have changed I have many hopeful plans with my Legacy Outback for the future and I hope I can find other Outback drivers of my generation here where I can get some great influence/parts direction. I'd love to turn this thing into an offroad trailer such as upgrading the tires to All Terrains, custom bumper bar with a winch and lights set up, perhaps even one of those awesome roof tents for camping. I really enjoy the outdoors and I wanted to stick with Subaru over anything else that could handle just as much. I'm sure there are more things I can do with my Outback that I haven't listed and or aware of but that is where I hope to find what I'm looking for here!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my introduction and photos! I'll see you all around!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Legacy Outback Pzev Obsidian Black Pearl, NA 2.5i, Automatic Transmission
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Light trail riding is exactly what I'm looking for and with a little bit of mud! I wished my Outback was an XT for some trailer pulling but it looks like I'll have to make due with traditional camping (tent around a fire) until the day I can trade mine in for a newer Outback XT gen. Although I'm still happy about my Outback and for what I can do with it, I don't seem too limited with that area.

A lift would be nice for it once I get some bigger tires on there, those KO2's look pretty beefy and exactly what I'm looking for in style/tread pattern. I was told that a good easy quick lift would be to use Forester shocks, what would you or anyone else recommend?

Thanks for the link above!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
plenty threads on lifts and tires for 2005-2009. (2" is about as high as you want to go without odd part wear or maint. issues).

_________

no XTs after 2009 though.

and turbos suck on the trail, = too spastic when you need control and low end steady torque.
= where you need a 3.0 (2001-2009),
or a 3.6. (2010-present)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I'll look into the threads about lifts (I was currently reading about AZ trailing information from MiddleAgeSubie in the unpaved section).

Thanks for the correction and XT info! I was under the assumption there might be XT Outbacks post 2009. I'm new to a lot about Subaru and what is and isn't good for what I'm looking to do with my driveability for the now and the future as well which models serve best for what but that is why I'm here haha

The 3.0-3.6 motors would be nice for that power of tow (which I'm also interested in) and getting thru the mountain inclines. I'm aware the specs state my OB can tow up to 3,000lbs at which most campers/trailers I've been interested in are starting at said weight and that doesn't include extra weight I'd add with supplies, packing and gear etc.

If possible I'd have to take a much flatter route up into the mountains with such a tow I'd assume and honestly not looking to add or go out of travel to my destination(s) nor want to push my cars capacity past it's limits either by passing those routes if towing. I already feel like at times my OB can struggle getting up into some of the mountain highways between the I-17 and Flagstaff (if you or anyone else is aware of such roads) having to turn off my A/C at times and watching everyone else pass me by until I reach a more flatter level to catch back up to speed. Those times I wish my motor had just a little bit more power.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
any subaru has a tongue limit of only 200#

the biggest things I have seen towed offroad in pic threads here by subarus are ultra -lights and tear drops.

the problem is: you are really high in elevation, its really hot, and the car is really taxed.
so even with all the mods you have to be really really light with your trailer choice.

if you want a bigger heavier trailer,...then you got to bump up to a jeep or a tacoma type thing,

...and you might as well leave your car as is to complement that thing.

I was looking for a similar thread with some video of a guy with his tear drop trailer out there in the red dirt deserts. (I forget where he was).

but I ran across this one,

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...er-white-rim-trail-moab-utah-trip-report.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean by "any subaru has a tongue limit of only 200#"?

But thanks for the recommendation on the travel trailers! I guess I looked passed the teardrops before. They seem to weigh up to 1,500lbs or less and with what they offer seems comfortable and what I'm looking for.

I'll take a look into that travel report as well, thanks again for sharing that. I've been to Moab city once while on these Northern Arizona trips but I haven't quite made it out to those desert lands yet.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
What do you mean by "any subaru has a tongue limit of only 200#"?

But thanks for the recommendation on the travel trailers! I guess I looked passed the teardrops before. They seem to weigh up to 1,500lbs or less and with what they offer seems comfortable and what I'm looking for.

I'll take a look into that travel report as well, thanks again for sharing that. I've been to Moab city once while on these Northern Arizona trips but I haven't quite made it out to those desert lands yet.
tongue weight = the force the tongue of the trailer forces down on the hitch of the car,

= subarus are rather wimpy with their unibody wanting to bend just before the rear wheels, under the strain of a heavy trailer,.

..vs. say a body on frame half ton truck. (which maybe a flailing pig off road in the mud or sand, but great for towing travel trailers on pavement.).

as a text book type example this jeep has too much on the tongue,
and the owner should move more weight insde the trailer behind the trailer axle.

_______

as an alternative,...lots of people here that like to off road camp, lug a tent and off load their car's contents into the tent, and sleep inside the subaru wagon, out of the weather and away from spiders, snakes, rodents,..

and also without the cost of the trailer / outfitting the car to tow it, or need to tow or maneuver anything in tough off road conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts