Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm looking to buy my first car in the next few months and have settled on a Subaru Outback, looking at around 2002-2004. I plan on using it for my day to day car and for camping trips in the heart of British Columbia.

I plan to eventually give it a 2" lift and throw on some beefier tires so I don't beat it up to much when I take it to some more back country camp grounds this summer.

Just a quick question, anyone have any experience taking an outback up mountain trails? There are some really nice trails up in the mountains that link up to some nice scenic camp grounds overlooking mountain lakes. I've been up there once in my brothers Ford Explorer and had no issues, my main concern is just going up steep inclines made of loose soil with some rocks.

Looking forward to owning a Subie! :)

Graeme.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Welcome and yes! I greatly prefer manual trannys but automatics are better at climbing steep hills.

We love BC, we visit monthly in the summer. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about just going for an automatic transmission due to the fact I've never even driven standard, and most of the Outbacks I've found on Craigslist are auto.

Where abouts do you visit in B.C.? I personally love it up by Williams Lake, tons of awesome scenic camp grounds up there and some less fished trout lakes.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
I'm thinking about just going for an automatic transmission due to the fact I've never even driven standard, and most of the Outbacks I've found on Craigslist are auto.

Where abouts do you visit in B.C.? I personally love it up by Williams Lake, tons of awesome scenic camp grounds up there and some less fished trout lakes.
Well, strictly speaking, I visit for the mountain biking and the social scene in Vancouver, Squamish and Whistler. When I say "I", most often it is with my little family and I, so in this case I'm looking for something a bit less spartan than what I might look for for myself.

That said, I am an avid photographer, hiker, mountain biker, skier (when I can) and I LOVE the outdoors. BC, strangely enough seems much more free than here in the US. In short, I am open to suggestions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squamish is pretty nice, I go scuba diving up around there around once a month. I really like it up north, past Cash Creek. My dad owns a Ford F-350 so we've been to some pretty cool places camping.

Chilliwack has from what I hear a fairly good mountain biking and dirt biking community, many mountain trails and what not out there. Pretty close to Vancouver, about 90-120 minutes.

And yes I love it here in B.C., drive an hour out of the city and your in the wilderness. Really looking forward to getting an Outback so I can explore south eastern B.C. more. :)

Gotta love road trips! Planning on getting my Subie by June so I can take it down to the Gorge Amphitheater in George, Washington. Attending a music festival there! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts