Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up folks? ive got two of these **** boxes...an 02 wrx tuned to 400whp i bought new, broke many times and now sits broken and rotting in my driveway since 2008. my wife has a stock, well maintained 06 legacy XT. IN THE LAST 15 MONTHS ITS BEEN BROKEN 13.5 MONTHS. turbo went at 64k...paid twice to have replaced. the second done by subaru. dealer said they checked out the engine at that time to make sure no damage was done internally.( SURE THEY DID...) we battled SONA, to cover the repair, that didnt happen. then one year TO THE DAY, IN THE SAME PLACE, the engine let go. the car travelled less than 500 miles since subaru "fixed & checked out" the engine. the oil was still clean. i have gotten nowhere with the dealer or subaru of north america. I know they know these engines are flawed and they dont care. my "real" cars(the ones that dont break, and are easy and cheap to work on when they do) are as follows.

1972 chevelle super sport wagon 350/350, posi. blue with black stripes.

1979 caprice coupe, compound curved rear glass(aero coupe)fully restored by myself in pro touring style, converted from smogged 305 3 spd auto to 6 speed and lt1 350 out of a 95 camaro. 420+ bhp, 4.10 rears.

1985 buick regal t type.(grand national sister car) special order one owner 30k miles. true survivor. best turbo car ever.

1995 camaro z28. 88k, numbers matching rare one of one optioned car.

06 f350 4x4 6 spd manual diesel. 55k. work/toy hauler.

i also have an 85 AMC eagle wagon. 4x4 3" lift. big ass project...

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,349 Posts
I don't think anyone is surprised a 400whp WRX might be broken.

where are you located? someone may be able to suggest a shop to help you repair your soobs.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I've never heard of a trouble free turbo...

A wise man once told me when I was looking into supercharges and turbos for my Mercedes C200 Sport in Germany, "if you want it to go faster, buy one with a bigger engine."

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
Let me get this straight... it's cheaper and easier to maintain 20-40 year old cars with no pollution controls, low tech iron and huge engine bays?

Who knew??

I don't know what to tell you about your broken Subarus, other than that you appear to be having a much worse time of it than most.

·
Premium Member
18,349 Posts
I could relate horror stories about a Ford, my first Honda and an Oldsmobile.

my second Honda was awesome though!

the Subarus have been OK so far, not brilliant, not bad. This Forum and other on-line sources help me keep them reliable so, I'm probably gonna drive them for another 10 years.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
I've never heard of a trouble free turbo...

A wise man once told me when I was looking into supercharges and turbos for my Mercedes C200 Sport in Germany, "if you want it to go faster, buy one with a bigger engine."
Sounds like the old saying..."There's no replacement for displacement"

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
^ haha, I've never heard that before but like it.

·
Premium Member
18,349 Posts
Get an SOA Regional rep involved if you have issues with a dealership.

plenty of bad dealerships around for ALL brands.

·
Premium Member
18,349 Posts
dang! - hope it works out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
started the day at 1500$ from SOA and 2500$ from the dealer for trade in...ended the day with 7000$ dealer and 1500$ SOA...I said not enough for the crap ive dealt with. my magic "go away" number is 10k to trade in on a new impreza or they pay for a new engine. i was told that by 1 tomorrow they hope to figure out how to squeeze the last 1500$ out of SOA or re arrange the numbers... i hope for their sake they do...otherwise my psychic sees picketing and expensive suits and gavels in their future. I would also like to recommend that you speak to "Nick" if ever you have to call customer service at SOA. He will work hard to help you out...ive logged 20+ hours with him, and he has tried his best.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
^ haha, I've never heard that before but like it.
i always thought that was one of the most common sayings out there among "car guys"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts