Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum.
I just purchased a 99 legacy outback limited with 179K for my son to take out to Colorado for a seasonal job that he has.
I have been fixing some of the things I saw in it before purchase, that is how i got it for under $3K.
This is what I have fixed:
New passenger side CV axle - torn boot.
New brakes & fixed seized calipers.
New spark plugs. - wires good, no need to change
New Serp & V belts.
New battery.
New pcv valve.
Checked coolant integrity - good.
New Knock sensor - threw a knock sensor circuit code.
Speedometer intermittent - removing speedometer and resodering joints to see if that helps.

I have also checked the head gasket and don't see any leaking, blue/white smoke from exhaust, brown or cloudy coolant, overheating after long run times or irregular idling. does this mean that the gaskets are still good?
I also have a broken driver side timing belt cover, does anyone know where I could get a new one or is it ok to run without one side on?
Is there anything that i may be missing to check on the car before he drives it from MI to CO?
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd Change the timing belt and all the goodies behind the covers while your at it ... Cheap insurance and a fairly easy task :29: , id also flush the coolant anyways and put a new radiator cap and factory thermostat in it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I forgot to mention i am replacing the fuel filter also.
Is there a brand of kit i should look for or stay away from, Dayco, Gates, AC?
I am running out of time quickly on this so I need to make a decision as to whether or not I am going to try and do this, about how long would the timing component replacement take?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like gates , but prefer napa over most .... Napa carrys Gates :29::cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts