Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB H6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, but this is my first post as my gf and I recently bought a 2005 LL Bean OBW. So far we're loving the car, but I do have a few questions/concerns. First, on the afternoon we came back from the dealership we were caught in a torrential downpour. (You probably see where this is going) The next day I get in the car to get a parking pass for our street and notice the bottom of my bag is wet. Floor mats and carpet are damp/wet, not soaked and no standing water. Some research has me thinking its probably the AC drain hose or a sunroof drain hose. I examined the area below the condenser and couldn't find any sign of dampness, or any other indication that that was the leak. I'm going to the dealer later today to have them put the inspection sticker on it, and will ask the tech to blow both drains out with compressed air. Hopefully, that will work.

The other question I have is how accurate is trip computer? I know, I know I should wait to get a least 1 or 2 tank loads before I worry about poor economy, and yes I knew what I was getting into. But the DTE is pathetic - 180 miles to empty! And my instant average (Boston traffic) dropped to as low 12! These numbers have me a bit worried. I should note that I've literally driven less than 30 miles since we picked it up on Monday, so I suppose I should chill out. Any I just worrying for nothing?

·
Registered
19,364 Posts
Regarding the "trip computer" (Multi-information display), you are probably jumping the gun. The DTE will change slowly, as will the average mpg.

There's no "instant average"; rather there's a cumulative average MPG, which calculates an average from the last time the trip meter was reset, so it could be the current tankful, or only a part of it, or extending back since the day the car was first started!

Similarly, if the trip meter is reset to zero when filling up, a block or two away from the gas station the average mpg will be very low, as will the DTE. However, as you cruise down the highway, and the typically lower highway fuel consumption is achieved, the average mpg will go up and the DTE will go up. (The instantaneous mpg varies constantly, giving you an idea of what the load is on the engine and how you're managing the accelerator pedal, but isn't a way to measure longer term fuel consumption.) Or put another way, if you reset the trip meter, and the drive away in city stop and start conditions, the average mpg and DTE will be disturbingly low.

The AC evaporator drain (only one) is fairly easy to check for blockage and clear out. However, the sunroof drains (there's four) require body dis-assembly to access. Depending on your purchase/warranty, this might or might not be covered.

When the AC evaporator drain is blocked, water will most often appear on and under the carpet on the front passenger side floor. Blocked sunroof drains usually manifest themselves as water dripping from light fixture and seat belt anchors in the ceiling, and water stains on the headlining.

Another possibility is that one or more windows or the sunroof was not fully closed or not sealing properly. (Dealer can check.) The location of the wetness that you refer to might be useful information, especially if it was in one area only.

Hope this helps. Let us know . . .

·
Registered
2005 OB H6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the "trip computer" (Multi-information display), you are probably jumping the gun. The DTE will change slowly, as will the average mpg.

There's no "instant average"; rather there's a cumulative average MPG, which calculates an average from the last time the trip meter was reset, so it could be the current tankful, or only a part of it, or extending back since the day the car was first started!

Similarly, if the trip meter is reset to zero when filling up, a block or two away from the gas station the average mpg will be very low, as will the DTE. However, as you cruise down the highway, and the typically lower highway fuel consumption is achieved, the average mpg will go up and the DTE will go up. (The instantaneous mpg varies constantly, giving you an idea of what the load is on the engine and how you're managing the accelerator pedal, but isn't a way to measure longer term fuel consumption.) Or put another way, if you reset the trip meter, and the drive away in city stop and start conditions, the average mpg and DTE will be disturbingly low.

The AC evaporator drain (only one) is fairly easy to check for blockage and clear out. However, the sunroof drains (there's four) require body dis-assembly to access. Depending on your purchase/warranty, this might or might not be covered.

When the AC evaporator drain is blocked, water will most often appear on and under the carpet on the front passenger side floor. Blocked sunroof drains usually manifest themselves as water dripping from light fixture and seat belt anchors in the ceiling, and water stains on the headlining.

Another possibility is that one or more windows or the sunroof was not fully closed or not sealing properly. (Dealer can check.) The location of the wetness that you refer to might be useful information, especially if it was in one area only.

Hope this helps. Let us know . . .
Great feedback, thanks so much! Yeah, I realized that when I got in the car for the first time at the dealership after buying it, I zeroed out the ODO which I understand also zeros out the trip computer. Then I got stuck in a rain storm and ensuing bumper to bumper on 93N, hence the appalling numbers. Since then, I've seen it creep up slowly, but I've not even filled the tank yet so I shouldn't worry too much.

All in all, I'm loving the car. I think it needs some suspension upgrades, Rallitek RSB and King Springs will probably be in the future, and while I'm at it, I might change out the rear struts to the 2004 KBYs. I can't wait to get it on some fire roads and gravel to play with it. Is it bad that I'm eagerly anticipating/hoping for a very snowy winter?

Thanks again for the feedback!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts