Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud new & first time subaru owner! I managed to pick up a 2000 Outback 1 owner, dealer maintained with 84,xxx miles for $4,000!! The owner had all the records and $3,000 worth of recent work done including timing belt, cam & crank seals, serpentine belt, battery, tires ect. I'd been looking for an outback for about a month and was about to buy an 02 with 188,xxx but managed to find this at the last minute. I do most of my vehicle maintenance and have been a member on other forums so I hope to be able to contribute to this forum.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
No doubt! You have a rare find. And the Gen 2's are the best of the bunch. Welcome.

·
Registered
2001 OBW, 2.5L, 165k
75 Posts
Nice!! I just turned 143k on mine. Only owner. It's the best. Takes my son and me skiing all winter, commuting, hiking in the summer. Best car. Congrats!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone I love this car so far! First up is put my pioneer CD player in, tint the windows, clean the throttle body (noticed some gunky build up on the rotor & spring), and sea foam it.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Look thru your receipts and see if the idler pulley and tensioner pulley assy. have been changed as well. This is something typically done w/ timing belt replacement. If not sure, do it anyway. It's cheap, even with oem new parts and simple to do. Can't put a price on peace of mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look thru your receipts and see if the idler pulley and tensioner pulley assy. have been changed as well. This is something typically done w/ timing belt replacement. If not sure, do it anyway. It's cheap, even with oem new parts and simple to do. Can't put a price on peace of mind.
Couldn't agree more peace of mind is good, I'm a fan of taking your time doing it right the first time! Ill look into that thanks for the reminder. We drove 5 hours to buy the car, by the time we got there it was 12:30 am. My friend and I gave it a pretty good look over with bright flashlights I still want to give it another look just haven't had the time.

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
Sea foam is a chemical that you pour into the engine while the car is running so it can clean out the gunk.

Quite impressive to see it coming out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Thanks everyone I love this car so far! First up is put my pioneer CD player in, tint the windows, clean the throttle body (noticed some gunky build up on the rotor & spring), and sea foam it.
Nice find!

Swapping out the headunit is a piece of cake in these. Definitely one of the easiest cars I've changed one on.

This might speed up the process for you since it shows exactly what screws and dash pieces you need to remove: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/69-audio-video-security-navigation/3975-audio-installation-instructions-all-00-04-outbacks-pdf.html

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The funny part is, your car doesn't usually put out that much pollution over 50,000 miles. So it's a great way to catch up on your carbon footprint.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice find!

Swapping out the headunit is a piece of cake in these. Definitely one of the easiest cars I've changed one

Thanks for the link I got it done. Wasn't hard just time consuming, I'm sure if I do it again it'll go faster. My 99 Grand Cherokee literally takes 2 minutes! Pull of the surround bezel similar to our shifter bezel, 4 screws that hold the radio in, and the harness for the radio. I only got the radio done today plan on looking it over more thuroughly tomorrow, clean the throttle body, few other small things.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Welcome to the forum, congratulations on the car.
A quick word on Sea Foam, you must be careful on the quantity while doing this, you can cause engine damage if it isn't done correctly.
AGAIN congrats on the car! Hope you get many great miles out of it, sounds like a great find!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By sea foam I ment just adding it to the gas tank. I have done it through the brake booster vacuum line on a previous vehicle I owned.

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
Congratulations! That looks like a really great deal, at least going by the used car prices here in our area anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations! That looks like a really great deal, at least going by the used car prices here in our area anyway.
Thanks! If I would've bought this car at a local dealer it would've been $6,000-$7,000. I'd been looking on Craigslist in the Minneapolis area every thing there is generally less expensive only down side is mn vehicles tend to rust from the salt on the roads. While my new outback does have a few small rust bubbles above the rear wheels it is fixable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts