Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5L Lapis Blue with Eyesight. This is my second Outback - first was a 2015 Premium without Eyesight
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new member and the happy owner of my second Outback, this time with Eyesight. Midcoast Maine seems to be the Subaru capital of the world - every time I pull into a parking lot, 99% of the cars are Subarus of all stripes and ages.

I have a question about the retractable cross bars. Can they be used as is, i.e., without installing an additional cross bar system? I want to use them to take a few old windows to the local ReStore, but in researching the subject, I find dueling opinions. Would someone please give me a straight answer?

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
moved to gen 5 section.

with large things,...easier and safer for them to put them inside the car with the seats folded. then they don't have to be secured from flying off the car in a 50mph wind of driving.

are they bigger then the insides of a 17 outback will permit, (with a nice big tarp to protect any upholstery or plastics from getting bumped / scratched).?

(edit: and yeah wrapping them in a tarp 100% would be nice, so as to not get flying glass at you in a wreck, ...what maybe plate glass at your neck would be bad).

·
Registered
16 Outback 3.6R
44 Posts
They'll be perfectly fine. I load mine up with a Thule box full of camping gear. Also have strapped on a recumbent tadpole and driven 70MPH with no issues.

A couple windows going down to the local store shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts