Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks! Just found and joined this forum today. I'm looking at buying a used 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback sedan next week and wanted to learn about the car.

This one has 145,000 miles on it and, as far as I can tell, only a couple mild cosmetic issues (some dings on the plastic light casings in two separate lights). I'm getting it's Carfax on Monday, hope there's no surprises!

I'm attracted to this little beast partly because on the test drive it felt AMAZING :D. Very responsive, muscular acceleration and neat braking (the engine feels more powerful than my last car's 3.6L 6cyl engine) and solid handling. I felt no rattles, vibrations, ticking, or hesitation anywhere in the car - it was smooth and confident. I only regret I wasn't able to take it out on a highway and get it up past 45mph, but I was impressed with what I asked it to do. We popped the hood and didn't see anything that indicated problems beyond normal wear and tear.

Next week I am planning on taking it in to get looked over by a mechanic. What should I ask him/her to pay particular attention to? What would be dealbreakers or warning flags with this car? I know there's a chronic head gasket issue, but it seems that often times it's a matter of replacing the head gaskets and I'm hoping that's already been done or I can use that to get the dealer to drop the price (he's asking $6450 USD).

Thanks for your help and advice, hopefully I'll be a Subie owner in a couple days!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.