Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Outback Wagon, 2.2 litre, 5 speed manual.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears I am an outlier as I do not even see a forum for my cream puff. I recently purchased it from my brother who purchased it new in '96, cancelled check is in the glove box. Always garaged. his wife drove it to work in TN when there was snow as employer NEVER closed, if you missed work you were docked vacation. Period. I recently had an issue: no horn, no cruise. If one did not work neither did the other. I "assumed" it was the clock spring thus I purchased what I was told was the only one available in the US (in CA). Bottom line, had it installed, nothing worked, mechanic found TWO broken wires. All fixed. I kept the old part..not likely but who knows what might happen in another 25 years ?

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,923 Posts
Welcome - and there is a forum for you, it's for all things Gen 1 Outback - right here!

And BTW, I think most of us here would qualify as "outliers". :)

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 2022 BWA
1,360 Posts
Had a 1995 wagon in 1997-2017. By the way, I have a complete (to the best of my knowledge) add-on Subaru fog light kit for 1993-97 Impreza sitting in the basement.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,923 Posts
Actually - I just noticed the word "Impreza" in the title, which I didn't notice earlier. Are we really talking about an "Outback Sport" model here? Now I'm confused, and I may have confused you as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm "assuming" it's a sport as it has 206/60/15 tires ? Brother bought aftermarket wheels for it because he hated looks of the originals and I'm sure he did not change tire sizes back then. Only 2nd set of tires on it now and 2 of those "might" be originals ?? I'll have to look to be sure. Just pulled the owner's manual. Only the "Outback" had 205/60/15's. The tire chart makes no mention of a "Sport" model. This one is a 2.2 litre. Ah, just found the original sticker..it is a "Sport." Listed at $18,878. Paid $17K out the door, 12/14/96.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a 1995 wagon in 1997-2017. By the way, I have a complete (to the best of my knowledge) add-on Subaru fog light kit for 1993-97 Impreza sitting in the basement.
I might be interested in the fog light kit.....wonder how much trouble to install ? Thanks, Jim III

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the old tires.....5/32 tread left but REALLY old and likely dangerous on wet pavement. My brother and I both have had it lose traction unexpected in wet weather. Any suggestions as to a "decent" but inexpensive tire ? Not likely to drive the car 3-4K miles a year at most.....

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 2022 BWA
1,360 Posts
I might be interested in the fog light kit.....wonder how much trouble to install ? Thanks, Jim III
Sorry I missed it it that yours is an Outback Sport! In that case the lights won't fit the bumper, although the wiring and switch should fit.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 2022 BWA
1,360 Posts
Actually - I just noticed the word "Impreza" in the title, which I didn't notice earlier. Are we really talking about an "Outback Sport" model here? Now I'm confused, and I may have confused you as well.
Impreza Outback Sport, the grandma of Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R & 2005 Impreza sport 2020 Honda Passport
97 Posts
I’m in addition to our 2018 Outback we have a 2005 Impreza Outback sport and I’m having a problem finding the link here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I missed it it that yours is an Outback Sport! In that case the lights won't fit the bumper, although the wiring and switch should fit.
Thanks anyway...I do appreciate the thought. Have a great weekend !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read the "reviews" on TR and always come away thinking how useless many of them are. Seems most are written after a couple thousand miles or less. In my experience going from worn/need to replace tires to brand new has always resulted in "why didn't I do this sooner ?" In my view a report at 5K or more would be more relevant in the real world.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,290 Posts
you can find more stuff on impreza in the wild wild wild Naisoc forum.

or maybe RS25.com

2.2 impreza can be a nice long lived vehicle,....rusty rear cross member kill them though.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,290 Posts
I read the "reviews" on TR and always come away thinking how useless many of them are. Seems most are written after a couple thousand miles or less. In my experience going from worn/need to replace tires to brand new has always resulted in "why didn't I do this sooner ?" In my view a report at 5K or more would be more relevant in the real world.
I really want to read 30,000 mile 2 years or 8 seasons of real world use reports.

vs. logging that many miles on a machine,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can find more stuff on impreza in the wild wild wild Naisoc forum.

or maybe RS25.com

2.2 impreza can be a nice long lived vehicle,....rusty rear cross member kill them though.
Thanks for the info regarding the crossmember...I'll check it out. Car was rarely driven in snow so I'd "assume" it's pretty clean underneath. Is the "Maisoc forum" here or is it another forum site altogether ? Thanks !

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,290 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding the crossmember...I'll check it out. Car was rarely driven in snow so I'd "assume" it's pretty clean underneath. Is the "Maisoc forum" here or is it another forum site altogether ? Thanks !

every nose picker that wants to turn a 160hp, into a a 300hp in one giant pile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

every nose picker that wants to turn a 160hp, into a a 300hp in one giant pile.
I might take a look for fun...but I'm certainly not one of "those" guys/gals. Always interesting to see what some folks do though....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts