Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
I read the "reviews" on TR and always come away thinking how useless many of them are. Seems most are written after a couple thousand miles or less. In my experience going from worn/need to replace tires to brand new has always resulted in "why didn't I do this sooner ?" In my view a report at 5K or more would be more relevant in the real world.
Unfortunately people don't often review things they've had for years - It's the same thing for Amazon reviews, but there are some longer term reviews - often it's people who left an earlier review and update it on TR, and if I recall, you can try to filter reviews by miles. Scouring the internet can reveal more long term complaints about things. But with newish tire models there aren't many old ones to review. On the other hand tire "testing" is almost always on a brand new tire and is even less relevant to long term performance, but it at least helps to weed out tires that are not very good out of the box.

There are mentions of Quatrac tires in our forum if you do a search. I too am now driving very few miles - only a few thousand a year so I ignore tread wear rating - because I'd rather use up the tread than have to change tires from age with full tread left. My tires have a low 200 tread wear rating.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Outback Wagon, 2.2 litre, 5 speed manual.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unfortunately people don't often review things they've had for years - It's the same thing for Amazon reviews, but there are some longer term reviews - often it's people who left an earlier review and update it on TR, and if I recall, you can try to filter reviews by miles. Scouring the internet can reveal more long term complaints about things. But with newish tire models there aren't many old ones to review. On the other hand tire "testing" is almost always on a brand new tire and is even less relevant to long term performance, but it at least helps to weed out tires that are not very good out of the box.

There are mentions of Quatrac tires in our forum if you do a search. I too am now driving very few miles - only a few thousand a year so I ignore tread wear rating - because I'd rather use up the tread than have to change tires from age with full tread left. My tires have a low 200 tread wear rating.
I agree with your take on the tires.....tread wear means nothing at 2-4K per year.....so what are you driving these days ?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
A summer-only tire - Michelin Pilot Sport 4SUV - I'm in Hawaii. On the 2020 Outback Onyx. I also have a 2009 Honda Fit but those are using Michelin Defender T+H only because there are limited choices in that small size tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nevermind....I drive mtns of East TN and Western NC....like to play in the snow ! Lots on the way this weekend !

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,285 Posts
Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A summer-only tire - Michelin Pilot Sport 4SUV - I'm in Hawaii. On the 2020 Outback Onyx. I also have a 2009 Honda Fit but those are using Michelin Defender T+H only because there are limited choices in that small size tire.
Didn't you folks have a snowstorm several weeks back ? I've got a friend whose son is there in Marine Corps...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
At the top of mountains where nobody goes except for astronomers (and sometimes tourists). I'm on Oahu and our mountains aren't high enough for snow, but I did have hail once.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts