Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throught I'd make a quick post to say hi from the midwest.

I'm in Iowa, have a 1996 Impreza Outback Sport. She's got about 197000 on her and still running strong.

So far, I've upgraded to a 20mm WRX sedan rear sway bar, WRX front seats, and WRX rims/tires w/ another set of WRX rims w/ Bridgestone RE950's.

In the next 2 weeks I'll be putting on KYB AGX's adjustable struts, Prodrive P1 springs, Group N hardened strut top mounts, stainless steel braided brake lines, WRX front brake calipers/brackets, Axxis Ultimate front pads and Metal Master rear pads along w/ cryotreated rotors.

I also frequent nasioc.com, same username over there.

Anyway, hi to all.

--Josh

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Welcome to the board. Good luck with the work to the OBS. Sounds like a good plan. I'd love to see a pic, especially after the suspension is done.

These "KYB AGX's adjustable struts, Prodrive P1 springs" are on my 'to do' list down the road.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few pictures of the car on my webpage now, but I'll be sure to take a bunch as I do the install.

I hadn't initially planned on this much, but I'm still on the original!! suspension and it's just now starting to show, so I figured that now's a good time for an upgrade. :)

--Josh

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Welcome to the board!

It's a real tribute to Subaru that so many of us are willing to put so much extra money into upgrading our high-mileage vehicles!

You probably won't find many Dodge owners that will put an extra $1,500+ into upgrading their cars with 150k+ miles on them.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. Plus I know enough of the WRX guys around Chicago to scavenge their stock parts and get good deals. I suppose eventually I'll probably look at swapping in a turbo motor, but that's quite aways down the road.

--Josh

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,577 Posts
Oh PLEASE do us a favor!. Try to measure, say at the jack points front and rear, the before and after height. Also, if possible measure the spring perch to - say - upper mounting hole, and the overall length of the REAR struts. new ones of course before they go on and the old ones when the come off. There is a lot of confusion as to wheter the AGXs are actually the right size for the rear. KYB catalog does not list them for the OBS but folks have put them on with no problem. Form my little bit of research it seems there 'could' be something like 0.3 inch difference. maybe 1/2 inch. Also, please post the part numbers you're using. I assume they are the same as for the RS sedans?
have fun and get back to us. Before and after pics would be nice too!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Welcome to the board, and long live Outback Sports (litlle OB's) Brian

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to take as many pictures and measure as much as time allows. I have a front bearing going out, so I'll be pulling the hub and taking it to the dealer to get the bearing replaced. No sense paying all that labor to take my struts/brakes back off... LOL So the car will have to sit overnight, I should be able to get pictures for you guys then.

Should I get the other bearing replaced since I'll have access to the front or just leave it till it goes?

--Josh

·
Registered
17,577 Posts
I've only heard of rear bearings being an 'early' failure (on a few Impreza models-not sure about you MY) so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you just had bad luck on that one side. The other may last 300K. But who knows - maybe the car saw a LOT of time fording watercourses.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
*so jealous!*

All I want are new rear struts! Is that really too much to ask for?!?!

Are you going to be installing all of those on your own?

If so, wanna drive halfway across the country and install some in mine too?
I just don't have the balls right now to jack up my baby and replace the rear struts on my own. Too many things (spring compression, bleeding the brakes, alignment) can go wrong! **** mechanics! Jacking up the prices on parts and labor! I believe I will be starting a new thread about the Pros and Cons of doing this job myself.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I'll be doing all of the install myself over at my buddies house. It was a toss up between him and my dad, but my buddy is the manager of the local parts store, so if I need anything, he's got keys. :) heh heh

BTW - p-s-t.com used to have the best prices on the kyb @ $389/set, but they've gone up to about $469 for the set. :( I'm not sure who has the best prices anymore.

--Josh
Putting her under the knife tomorrow...

·
Registered
17,577 Posts
Hey CR, in the future maybe you could arrange a 'shop day' with some forlks from this board;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=12

When I get my personal soob I will probably haul some BBQ or something over to encourage some young guys to crawl under my car at a N. Texas shop day.

sigh - waiting for my Mom's house to sell to start serious shopping.

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL.. yeah, I know quite a few guys from over on nasioc.com. I'm actually heading to a BBQ w/ a bunch of them up in WI Memorial Day Weekend, should be lots of fun. If any of you folks want to come, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem as long as you know how to behave... LOL

--Josh

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
*G* you know, there are a lot of rental BBQ trailer rigs that fall well within the 2,000-lb towing limit of an OB...

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a little taste...

More pictures from the install are here:
http://josh.sitenation.com/images/subaru/suspension_install/

What a night, started at 7:30 and got done just after 3:30 this morning...

In the few miles I've driven, it feels a lot better and stops so much better. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

And I had thought that I had bearing problems, but after getting everything apart, I couldn't feel any looseness that appeared to be a bearing, so for now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes out.

Now to put some miles on and let the suspension settle then it's time for an alignment.

--Josh

·
Registered
17,577 Posts
I've read about 'settling' before the alignment. How long should someone wait?
btw-thanks for the pics! Wagon looks GOOD! Those struts look VERY close - I guess those were the rear? prolly less than 1/2 inch. Which springs did you use again? Also, what were the part numbers for the AGX rears?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts