Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I just bought my second Subaru, I had a 93 legacy sedan a few years back, and now I own a 01 legacy outback H4 2.5, I bought her with 210k in I'll say good condition, hopefully she'll last me a while, she had two previous owners that took care of it obviously, now, I joint the forum because I do the maintenance on my cars and since I only pay $1800 dollars for the car I would like to do a complete tune up on it. I have some questions about the auto trans since I never maintained one before, I would like to drain it and change filters and fluid, if anyone can throw some tips I will appreciate it. Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
ATF = dexron 3 type. holds 2 gallons total, and you can only drain or siphon up half that at a time.

so you may need couple drain and fills, with some driving between each swap to get out all that you got, and clean out any old nasty fluid.

on your last drain and fill. add a Subaru OEM spin on filter. the ones that the parts store sells are not the same. the subaru OEM is a unique long life filter that flows and vents properly. (the parts store ones are temp generic things that fit,...but may hinder the car in the future).

(rockauto also sells internal filters also, which are useless. in the pan grate things,...and not a maint. item at all,...more of something for a rebuild ...but if you need a rebuild,...plenty of great used trans just waiting to be rescued before landing in the ripping machine at the scrap yard).

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
check trans level while idling - if adding fluid, move shifter briefly to each position, back to Park, check fluid - add half pint at a time when sneaking up on Full, the marks are NOT 1 qt. apart.

I used one of these;

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts