Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Owner

Hello all, picked up my 05 XTOB Ltd Saturday. It is an awesome vehicle! I had a 02 Acura TLS, nice car but loads of quality problems. The OB is extreamely solid and the performance is more than I expected. This is the first turbo car I've had and you sure know it when it kicks in. The biggest problem I have now is keeping it away from my wife as she also absolutely loves it. Purchased the car @ Irvine Subaru (Irvine,CA) and it was the easiest car purchase ever, I recommend them highly. Looking forward to talking and sharing ideas with other OB owners.
Kent

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the new OB. Be forewarned that we have seen many keep-it-from-the-wife scenarios, with varying outcomes.

:eek:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mmmmm Turbo!

Since the Scubaru is hers, she has a "keep it from him" problem.

What kinda problems with your '02 TL? We almost bought one instead of the OB.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The_Lizard said:
Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the new OB. Be forewarned that we have seen many keep-it-from-the-wife scenarios, with varying outcomes.

Yeah Mr Lizard I agree, luckily my partner has never driven the mighty Outback, it's not that I am mean to her, she's just worried that if she drives it she'll never be able to be happy driving her 97 Hyundai wagon again. Of course she's right, but I'm not going to push the issue since I want to keep driving the Outback myself! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most 02 thru 04 TL Acura's have transmission problems, 3rd gear clutch packs seizing. Acura (Honda) has finally been forced to issue a recall. Numerous quality problems; rattles, warping brake disks, bad paint, terrible customer service and on and on. I was shocked because I always believed this was a quality car, wrong! I will never consider another Honda product.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I had a 14-month contracting assignment at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. I was working in the front office of the motorcycle plant, but I grabbed any excuse to walk along the Accord assembly line in the adjacent building.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Interesting, my father I think has a '02 TL and just went in for a recall on his 2nd gear in the tranny. He hasn't had any quality problems with the brakes or anything though.

I've driven it, it's a nice grand tourer but it's too heavy and to be fun, it drives like it's a bit heavy too.

Jay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The recall is for 2nd gear but 3rd gear has been the main problem, strange! Acura issued a TSB on their brakes appox (1) year ago. They will surface the rotors and replace the pads, but as soon as you "panic" stop the rotors warp again. Honda/Acura has had this problem for years, under-engineered.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
kgoessling said:
but as soon as you "panic" stop the rotors warp again.

Did you follow the link to the technical article on disc brakes that was posted in the OBS brakes thread? It talked about some ways brakes can be damaged/misapplied and then mis-diagnosed as warped.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Hey SoCal Man. Congratulations!! And welcome to the site. I got mine--nicknamed "The Turdboss," in the middle of August (see my thread for pics) and boy does this vehicle rock. I confess, however, that I do let my wife drive it from time to time--but that's OK, she's a MT lover too.

So, is yours an auto or a stick?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The_Lizard said:

We owned an 01 MDX and wife never drove it, she said it's too big for her. Have just replaced the MDX with an 05 LLBean and my biggest regret is having her 'test' drive it 'coz now she has the other set of keys in her key chain. The Bean is now frequently disappearing from my garage, together with her.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
luckily my partner has never driven the mighty Outback, it's not that I am mean to her, she's just worried that if she drives it she'll never be able to be happy driving her 97 Hyundai wagon again. Of course she's right, but I'm not going to push the issue since I want to keep driving the Outback myself!
97 Hyundai wagon? that's grounds for a divorce on basis of cruelty in many states...:twak: :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
actually, the fiancee has mine for a week or 2 while i fix safety issues on her Nissan truck. i can well foresee that she may end up with it for long term, forcing (sigh...) :D me to buy a WRX for self and OB-ize it. or an OBS 2.5 turbo if/when they build it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
cptoversteer said:

97 Hyundai wagon? that's grounds for a divorce on basis of cruelty in many states...:twak: :D
Ahhh well it's not my fault, she chose it herself...Of course that was before we met so really I'm not being cruel, honest :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Turbo information

Hi All,

I just got by ob xtl last monday and this car is great! Its my first turbo car. I used to drive an obs but this one is totally different. I am still in the break in period but would like to know where is the best place to get information on how to take care of a turbo car. Also, proper way to use the sportshift option.

Thanks a lot!

negixx

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Negixx,

Congratulations and welcome to the site. The XT is one sweet machine, wouldn't you say? I've had mine for four months now, and I still never cease to get excited about driving it.

There are lots of places online for learning about turbos in general (edmunds for one), but none that I know of except this one specifically for the OB XT. What do you figure you need to know, and maybe we can help?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
You might consider browsing scoobynet - it's a large British board mostly populated by lunatic Impreza owners (I can be found as the "estate" driving Yank in the Muppet Show) but there is a lot of information about turbos and other performance topics. Much of it is specific to the UK market, but some information is general enough to apply to a US OB.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
17 Participants
Peaty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing