Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the outback 2005 XT for the past 2 weeks. I am loving the car, the power and everything. Is very fun to drive actually the funnest car I've ever driven. Last tank fill up I got 13 MPG Driving purely in City. (Horrible) My V8 Grand Cherokee does better than that. I bought the car thinking That I Would get better MPG than my Cherokee so that's unfortunate. I am thinking that the car probably needs a tuneup. The car was owned by 1 person before, they were an old couple and according to them they did all the maintenance on the car when it had to be done. I checked the car-fax and I saw it myself. The turbo hasn't been replaced and it's got 97000 on it. I still haven't checked the Banjo bolt. I have noticed some hesitation on acceleration sometimes on the hwy and a little rough idle when stopped on traffic lights. We just came back from a 120 mile little trip and the MPG computer says I got an average of 22 MPG so far. The trip was very variable in speeds a elevation so I think it did pretty good. What should I do to get better MPG in the city? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
It's rated 17 city.

If you're enjoying the turbo, I could see 13mpg.

Mine seems to get around 20mpg combined, but I've been consciously babying it.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
You'd have to be costantly thrashing it to get 13. I was at 15.5 for a while, but I was driving like an ass the whole time.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
There are some things to remember with a 2.5XT.. in my case I have a 2005 with the 5 speed automatic.. I live in a area where the roads are either flat or change quickly to hilly or mountainous..

One: Wintertime is going to get you less fuel mileage due to blend..

Two: If you are just running around town quick trips don't expect much better..

Three: Warming up or just keeping it running while sitting will get you the worst..

Four: The turbo needs to be in boost..!! That means trying to maintain 2,300 rpm or better for the better fuel mileage.. Trips on cruise control at 55-65 with the rpm's running at or above 2,300 and you get an engine that is running leaner..

My XT gets 13-14 wintertime around town and in the hills.. However I get a big increase once I get on the interstate and set cruise control.. Even in the winter I can manage 25 on a trip.. Summertime I've seen better..

Also note that MT's over auto's don't always get better fuel mileage. You may think your managing the engine, but that might not be the case.. I found keeping the car in the boost range works best..

Five.. Outbacks tend to fight the wind.. Loads can affect mileage and tire pressure..

All things to think about..

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT 5M KYB GR2, King Springs
40 Posts
Seems perfectly normal to me. Since my last oil change (2800 miles), I am getting 22.2 MPG in mixed city and highway driving. I keep it in I mode most of the time except for when I decide to grin a bit.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,438 Posts
City driving? check.

Winter? check.

car is an XT? check.

Driver realizes it is an XT and is smiling? check!

Congratulations! you have completed the checklist for burning the most gas in the least time. Honestly it sounds like your car is about normal. A set of plugs & an air filter might help bring back a little MPG but don't expect much. These cars need a long haul on an open road before they show good MPG, and by definition you'll never get that in city traffic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't drive like a mad man. I actually drive like my grandfather when he was 89 years old. Someone at work owns an impreza and told me that it would be best if I don't get it to boost at all. So here I am driving in the middle of the street below 2500rpms and people get really upset. I mean I would get upset! if I was driving behind a station wagon going 30 on a 45 speeding up ridiculously slow. Before i get to the speed limit I have to stop to a traffic light from home to work and vice-verse. So I guess I would have to go on the Hwy to get the most out of my fuel. Is a little longer but I guess I would get better MPG if I do it that way. What about the hesitation do you have any thoughts on that. Rough Idle starts when I stop on a light and acts like is going to turn off but it doesn't. Is not as bad as it sounds but I could definitely feel it. What do you recommend? I am very mechanically inclined but this is my first time going Subaru coming from jeep. For some reason I've always wanted a Subaru. :)

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
What about the hesitation do you have any thoughts on that. Rough Idle starts when I stop on a light and acts like is going to turn off but it doesn't. Is not as bad as it sounds but I could definitely feel it. What do you recommend? :)
If your referring to the Turbo Lag not much..

As far as the stumbling it might need the throttle body cleaned.. That's a common problem with the XT's.. Just had mine done recently..

Steve

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
Someone at work owns an impreza and told me that it would be best if I don't get it to boost at all.
Someone at work misses the point.
13 is a tad low. As Seabass points out, it usually takes some effort to get it down that far. In deep snow and mud I generally get 14 - again "with effort":D

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
FYI, there's a chart in the (online) owners manual that lists the shift-points for optimal MPG with the 5MT.

I typically refill my tank when it gets down to 1/2. For max MPG, it would probably be better not to be hauling all that fuel weigh around.

Although I've noticed in my 2004 Astro Cargo, it seems to get about the same MPG whether it's loaded or empty.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Rough idle for the XT can point to burnt exhaust valves. The poor gas mileage could be an indicator of this. But I would expect a check engine light. This is an occasional issue with XT's. Search here and on legacygt.com for more explanation, and try to pull codes to see if there are any pending.

Tom

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Ops, double post. sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts