Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am continually amazed t the level of documentation you acquire on your projects and post for our benefit - thanks for this effort!
I appreciate that thanks.

If there's ever anything you guys want to know or you want me to go into more detail on too don't be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i Limited
34 Posts
Looking good. What is your trick for removing spiders from the side view mirrors? No matter how much water I spray in there, there are always new webs on both sides in the morning.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looking good. What is your trick for removing spiders from the side view mirrors? No matter how much water I spray in there, there are always new webs on both sides in the morning.
Load a pressure pot or garden sprayer with dish soap and water and flood it. Regular ole dish soap kills spiders right now
Well yes, will you work on my Outback for the posted $65 hourly rate in your shop? ;)
****, I'd work on your car for beer. Good beers I mean, not that cheap **** lol

Reactions: masonlee and johnre

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
402 Posts
Load a pressure pot or garden sprayer with dish soap and water and flood it. Regular ole dish soap kills spiders right now
I note that you leave open the possibility that, someday, dishsoap might not kill spiders. 2020's not over yet!

All jokes aside, I hope one day to pay half as much attention to one of my cars as you have this one (in the TLC sense, not in the "Why the **** is it still overheating?!" sense). Maybe, eventually, once I have a driveway / garage of my own...
It's great to see, inspiring, and always nice to see an H6 being appreciated.

Stay safe out there, Cali!

Reactions: aesthetic.rake

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited
90 Posts
Just popping in to agree with everyone else who has commented. Your threads are amazing. Thanks for doing what you do. Also, I'm too invested in the Outbean right now to not see what happens to it! Following!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, my Subaru parts order came over the weekend. The bushings I needed for the rear lateral link (control arm? I don't know what it's called) came.

The nuts and bolts on the car were insanely tight. I ended up chowdering the nuts on the inboard side of the lateral link. It's pretty poor access up there tbh. It probably would have been easier to drop the entire rear subframe assembly so I could put an impact on them, but, ain't nobody got time for that.

These are metric 10.9 so Grade 8 equivalent nuts? They're hard. You can imagine how much force I had to put on these to round them off like that....

I'm even breaking out my macro lens for you guys on this. Fresh back from Canon Pro Services (CPS) earlier this year. Camera nerd friends often ridicule me for sticking with Canon since the Sony meme cameras came out (pretty much starting at the a7r3) but, good luck getting this from Sony. I pay a small yearly fee and I can send back I think 7 items to be cleaned and serviced by factory Canon technicians. All these folks worried about cleaning their own sensors and fretting over dust spots in their lenses.. pssshhh. I send em in and they have a 2 day turn around.

Thanks Jim! You did a great job!

The nut I chowdered..

The nut I chowdered vs the nut I received to replace it...

Looks like I'll be going to my local Subaru today. Dammit.

Also, might be acquiring a new Subaru project today! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Remember these words you said about two or three projects back?
It's not my fault.. So many broken Subaru's keep falling at my feet.. What am I to do?!? I'm a VICTIM!

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
So, my Subaru parts order came over the weekend. The bushings I needed for the rear lateral link (control arm? I don't know what it's called) came.
View attachment 492879

The nuts and bolts on the car were insanely tight. I ended up chowdering the nuts on the inboard side of the lateral link. It's pretty poor access up there tbh. It probably would have been easier to drop the entire rear subframe assembly so I could put an impact on them, but, ain't nobody got time for that.

The nut I chowdered..
View attachment 492884

The nut I chowdered vs the nut I received to replace it...
View attachment 492885

Looks like I'll be going to my local Subaru today. Dammit.

Also, might be acquiring a new Subaru project today! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

At least you spun it out and not have to cut it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
At least you spun it out and not have to cut it out
That's the truth. I was just about there though.

Well, went and looked at the new potential project today. I think I'm gonna pass...

06 Forester XT. Needs an engine they said.

I think I'll pass.. there were three Subaru's there torn apart and there was much confusion about which group of parts went where. Yeah, no. haha. Headaches are okay but I'm not in the habit of causing them for myself. Hard pass.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,140 Posts
Well, went and looked at the new potential project today. I think I'm gonna pass...
That's not a project, it's an indoor scrapyard in somebody's garage. I'd be willing to bet there's a SWMBO back of this telling the guy "get rid of this stuff in the garage or else ....."

06 Forester XT. Needs an engine they said.
It's got an engine - well, sort of.

I think I'll pass.
Well, that part remains to be seen..... :devilish:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well yes, will you work on my Outback for the posted $65 hourly rate in your shop? ;)
Will have to save that photo myself and claim I can hold him to it... definitely the guy I want working on mah babies when Bay 1 of 1 doesn't already have another worthy specimen.

Man, I would have been a piece of cake, too. Paint? Fine! Totally get that waxed like... well once but more often than not garage kept (and at least don't park under sappy trees). Seats? Only a couple scratches in the leather (I know, I should condition them more than never). Finally could have left the seats in when you're doing your work for once (from the couple threads I've seen). OK, I would have you replace that driver's power lumbar support now that I think of it. And maybe sound dampen to stop the driver's door from making that click sound when slamming it shut.

And would I mind if it were returned with extra space under the trunk floor for a city like SF where trunk privacy covers are a liability? No, wouldn't be upset with anything shown here really. Yeah, it totally would've been simple and I wouldn't want to add anything fun on the wish list 😉

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's not a project, it's an indoor scrapyard in somebody's garage. I'd be willing to bet there's a SWMBO back of this telling the guy "get rid of this stuff in the garage or else ....."

It's got an engine - well, sort of.

Well, that part remains to be seen..... :devilish:
Indoor and outdoor. Two separate truck beds with two turbo Subies torn apart. They thought this part went to that one, this one to that.. Geez. It would have been a **** show.

Make no mistake, it's a hard pass on that forester project. The paint was destroyed. The hood and front bumper were silver at one point and the paint is peeling bad. Both headlights were cracked. Registration was out 4 years. The only good thing about that car was the interior but I soft promised my wife we wouldn't part cars out at our house and I'm trying to hold true to that.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Will have to save that photo myself and claim I can hold him to it... definitely the guy I want working on mah babies when Bay 1 of 1 doesn't already have another worthy specimen.

Man, I would have been a piece of cake, too. Paint? Fine! Totally get that waxed like... well once but more often than not garage kept (and at least don't park under sappy trees). Seats? Only a couple scratches in the leather (I know, I should condition them more than never). Finally could have left the seats in when you're doing your work for once (from the couple threads I've seen). OK, I would have you replace that driver's power lumbar support now that I think of it. And maybe sound dampen to stop the driver's door from making that click sound when slamming it shut.

And would I mind if it were returned with extra space under the trunk floor for a city like SF where trunk privacy covers are a liability? No, wouldn't be upset with anything shown here really. Yeah, it totally would've been simple and I wouldn't want to add anything fun on the wish list 😉
I usually always take the seats and carpet out. There's just no other way to get em clean like I like.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 86 Posts