Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Okay, so, beyond the **** show that was the Forester yesterday, I actually managed to get some work done out the Outbean! You saw previously the nuts that I stripped out pulling them out of the rear suspension arms. Well, fortunately, my local Subaru dealership had them in stock! (They better, since the FSM calls for them to be replaced once removed (they're stover nuts so one time use (though I'll be reusing the ones that are good still (**** that's a lot of ()'s))))

First up, we gotta replace the bushings in the upper lateral link in the rear suspension. I think this bar is the one that does the most to keep your rear camber in check and when these bushings wear out, which they seem to be the first to do so, they're the culprits for what's known as "ghost walking." This is my opinion of course but having had multiple cars now that I've replaced these bushings on, these seem to do the most to tighten up the rear suspenion.

Ok.. removing the bushings. The tools needed for this are simple. A torch, and a screwdriver. The drill press vice I'm using is a luxury but not really needed. You might want some gloves too, if you plan to do this. Also, you'll need to hold your breath for the entire process, so, there's that too. Don't breath in this nasty black smoke we're about to make.

If you have access to a press and the correct tooling to push these bushes out good for you. I don't, so, this is my dirty way of getting it done.

I like to label the arms, just so I know which one went wear and what side the bushing with the chili sticks out on. The last thing you want is to push the bushings back in and realize you've made two left side arms :oops: :rolleyes:

Fortunately, one bush is already completely torn (top right) so that's one less we'll have to deal with.

As for the rest.. time to burn them out... copious amounts of heat pls... but don't push them too far! There's no need to go overboard with the heat you'll just end up...

Catching them on fire...

Now that the rubber is melted in there, push out the bushing with your screwdriver or implement of choice.

Rinse and repeat for the rest...

DAMMIT!!

I managed to not set the last one on fire and show you guys what it looks like when the inside of the bushing is ready to be pushed out..

The rubber sort of expands and comes out the sides... like this

Once you see that.... you know you're good to push it out. There's a fine line there with the heat so....

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Now that we've burned and pushed out the inner portion of the old bushings, we need to remove the outer sleeve from the arm. To do that, I've found a sawzall with a metal cutting blade works really well. Once you cut the sleeve they come out a lot easier. I've tried using my press. I've tried beating them out. I've used air hammers and all sorts of other implements but I think this is the best way with a minimum amount of effort.

Of course, make sure you don't cut too deep! I can't stress this enough! You only want to cut the sleeve. Cut the arm too far and you'll be looking for another one.

Tools of choice...

The sleeve to be removed....

Cut...

Then tap her out with whatever you want. I used a punch but a screwdriver would work too. I mean, really, once you get them started moving the cut you put in them makes them easy to remove.

Rinse and repeat for the others...

If you're installing urethane bushings, the hard part is over for you! We'll be putting OEM Subaru bushings back in, so, this is only half of our battle...

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I do have a press. It scares the absolute **** out of me. It's my least favorite tool in the shop. If I could farm this out, I would, but, the show must go on. Time to pull up my big girl panties and get the bushings back in the arms....

It's pretty straight forward. I use some old sockets and it seems to work okay. It's not great. Do not recommend, but, it's gotta be done so..

Nice...

I think the arms are ambidextrous. You just don't want to make two lefts while doing it...

Installation of the offset sleeve is a bit more difficult. I use a larger socket under the arm so the chili on the bushing can go in to it and the arm is still supported. It's a shitshow for real but, they get done..

Reinstalling them takes a bit of effort.. and brute force... my tool of choice--a monkey wrench XD

All the arms back in along with the struts...

At this point nothing is torqued. You've got to put the weight of the car on the suspension to do it so that's today's task.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Today I should be able to put the car back down on it's wheels AND get her back on the road. No plan survives the battlefield, but, that's my goal. Torque the rear suspension then go back over the front just to be sure. We'll pull a vacuum on the cooling system and check for leaks, then fill it and the oil up along with a new oil filter and start her back up. There shouldn't be much drama.

The final piece to this disaster of a puzzle though, is this tiny little component....

Any guesses what it is and what I'm doing with it?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Test the limits of "soft" and get back to me on how that works out, will you? I'm wanting to do something similar in the garage ....
Some soft words, a nice dinner.. I think I could get away with murder actually.. maybe even hitting on her sister? Okay, maybe not that far haha.

Actually, we discussed at length parting the Outback this thread is based on, out. I was going to gut it, pull the entire interior out along with all the "Outback" accouterments off and stuff it all on to my LGT. Do sort of a.. LGT / Outback LLBean mash up. A legit LGT with Outback flairs bumpers and hood along with a complete LLBean leather interior? Sexy af IMO.

I decided though that while the idea seems very interesting to me, if I were to do it, I would want to swap a facelift car instead. I like the headlights more and the whole front end just looks more refined to me. I like the idea of the Outback hood too so I'd need to do a front mount intercooler as well. Then there's paint.... may as well rebuild the engine in the LGT while I'm there since I'll want to paint the engine bay and since I've got the entire interior out may as well pull the glass too so I can paint under all that and.. and.. and.. well, you see where it's going.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Something came up yesterday and I got **** all done with the car.. today might be a wash too we'll see stay tuned

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would see what Subaru did to the H6 cooling issues and follow suit. You should be able to figure out how to increase the cooling efficiency. I bet it has more to do with the water pump and thermostat than the radiator. Possibly the coolant type also. I know thermostats can be tricky in other engines I have worked on. Sometimes the neck is an issue as you noticed and routed it out. Some motor shops can port using pressure extrusion if you need to open up metal plumbing. Too high flow may cause issues so you have to get all the variables optimized. So did your coolant mods work?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I would see what Subaru did to the H6 cooling issues and follow suit. You should be able to figure out how to increase the cooling efficiency. I bet it has more to do with the water pump and thermostat than the radiator. Possibly the coolant type also. I know thermostats can be tricky in other engines I have worked on. Sometimes the neck is an issue as you noticed and routed it out. Some motor shops can port using pressure extrusion if you need to open up metal plumbing. Too high flow may cause issues so you have to get all the variables optimized. So did your coolant mods work?
Done done and done. I don't know if anything I've done has helped yet. I haven't been able to work on the car. I was bit by something on my right foot and it's so swollen I can't fit any of my shoes. I can barely hobble around on one foot and the longer I'm on my feet the worse the swelling gets.

I hope to be back on the car in a few days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Done done and done. I don't know if anything I've done has helped yet. I haven't been able to work on the car. I was bit by something on my right foot and it's so swollen I can't fit any of my shoes. I can barely hobble around on one foot and the longer I'm on my feet the worse the swelling gets.

I hope to be back on the car in a few days.
Get medical attention. What are the venomous insects in your area? Only thing we have here in Maine is Brown Recluse aka Fiddle Spider. My Mum was bitten years ago and she lost some tissue due to her immune response but luckily the doctor gave her some meds that helped.
Years ago on a 4.6l forum some folks worked on a similar cooling issue: maybe we can research our way to a solution? The higher quality radiator will definitely help. We had a Ford engineer that was helpful maybe we can find someone from Subaru with cooling knowledge of the H6?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,134 Posts
@traildogck ...did you ever use map gas to pop out bushings. ?
(just wondering, ...still enjoying the arms you sold me with the red sparkle paint, smarter bushings in them already :geek:,)

and @aesthetic.rake
I don't see any blue or pink in the fire pic there. ...how unique.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Get medical attention. What are the venomous insects in your area? Only thing we have here in Maine is Brown Recluse aka Fiddle Spider. My Mum was bitten years ago and she lost some tissue due to her immune response but luckily the doctor gave her some meds that helped.
Years ago on a 4.6l forum some folks worked on a similar cooling issue: maybe we can research our way to a solution? The higher quality radiator will definitely help. We had a Ford engineer that was helpful maybe we can find someone from Subaru with cooling knowledge of the H6?
I second this recommendation:

Please!!!
Fourthed, see a doctor to see whats up. Especially since its painful to walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the concern folks. Everything is going to be okay. I not 100% sure what I got in to, or what got in to me. It was just a bit of a gnarly allergic reaction to whatever it was is all. The swelling is going down and I'm feeling much better. Today I'm actually able to walk without pain, so, there's improvement for sure.

fwiw, we're thinking it may have been chiggers... I guess it's the time of year? Dunno. I hope to be back on the project Monday to wrap it up. We're right there with it.. I can taste it!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
What the **** is a Chigger?
It appears to be a bit of a cross between a tick, bedbug and a flea. Nasty little fuckers tho and hey, turns out, I might be pretty allergic to them

41 - 60 of 84 Posts