Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am brand new the forum. I joined to hopefully gain some knowledge and ask for advice.
I am considering purchasing a 2006 Outback with 168K for 4K. It has no signs of any leaks, has a clean carafe report.
The dealer can't confirm wether the timing belter head gasket has been replaced.
Right off the bat my intention was to have the timing belt done. Is it worth spending about 3k for the complete head gasket/timing belt job? WWYD?

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of Gen3 Guru's here. I would agree with you regarding the timing belt. If you can't find a record of it being done. I wouldn't touch a HG that isn't leaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of Gen3 Guru's here. I would agree with you regarding the timing belt. If you can't find a record of it being done. I wouldn't touch a HG that isn't leaking.
Thanks trail dog! I will most likely do the timing belt. Whats your opinion on the price tag of 4K for the car? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Where are you located? Location makes a big difference in used Subaru pricing. I think $4K is reasonable if the rest of the car is in decent shape. If it has a set of good tires, and it's not all banged up. The 2005-2009 cars do have some suspension issues that come with age.

There are some threads here on this forum outlining those issues. I am not sure if you are handy with a wrench, or care to be. There are bearings and bushings, and of course struts that would all need to be checked out, as with any used car.

If this car is at a dealer lot, I would ask them to check out all of the common suspension bushings and links. They they know anything about that generation of car, they will know just what to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located? Location makes a big difference in used Subaru pricing. I think $4K is reasonable if the rest of the car is in decent shape. If it has a set of good tires, and it's not all banged up. The 2005-2009 cars do have some suspension issues that come with age.

There are some threads here on this forum outlining those issues. I am not sure if you are handy with a wrench, or care to be. There are bearings and bushings, and of course struts that would all need to be checked out, as with any used car.

If this car is at a dealer lot, I would ask them to check out all of the common suspension bushings and links. They they know anything about that generation of car, they will know just what to check.

The car is in great overall shape. Body has no dents, rust or major scratches.
The price seems fair for what I have seen. Thanks for your support!

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Well, If you get it.

Feel free to reach out to me for any suspension / chassis related concerns. Driveline also. There are several others here who know the "electrics", transmissions and motors more than I.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your support!
BTW I know this might be a stretch but how long can I expect the head gasket to carry on without holes in a 2004 2.5? Just replaced timing belt, tensioners, water pump, radiator flush.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts