Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just bought a 2012 Subaru outback. It was a demo car.
The car had 2000 miles on it. I paid the invoice price
Should I have gotten it cheaper since it had 2000 miles?
I mean I could've bought a new one with less than 50 miles for the same price
Is 2000 miles still considerered new and the regular price or did I get slightly jipped by this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
You certainly could have done better but it's too late do do anything about it.
Don't even think about that anymore. Many people actually pay sticker price for new cars.

A car is considered new until someone buys it.

What model and color did you get?

Enjoy your new Outback for many, many more miles and years to come.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Hello

I just bought a 2012 Subaru outback. It was a demo car.
The car had 2000 miles on it. I paid the invoice price
Should I have gotten it cheaper since it had 2000 miles?
I mean I could've bought a new one with less than 50 miles for the same price
Is 2000 miles still considerered new and the regular price or did I get slightly jipped by this?

Thanks
So why didn't you buy one with less than 50 miles...?

Of course you got jipped. If you need someone else to tell you that...I don't know...

Technically, unless the car has been titled it's still considered "new". That being said, you should have been offered a pretty deep discount for a car with that high of a mileage because a demo is a "used" car to anyone with half a brain- especially one with 2k miles...

When we bought our Jetta 10 years ago they drove it down from PA, putting 500 miles on it. Because of the mileage the dealer gave us 12 free synthetic oil changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a 2012 ouback 3.6 limited
the dealer said it was a demo, and thats where the 2000 miles came from

they never had another 3.6 limited or, basic, and i wanted the 6 cylinder this go around.

I was using the 50 mile car as an example, as in i paid the same price that i wouldve for a car with 50 miles or less

Im not the best at purchasing a car, it really happens so fast, before you know it, they have your credit score and its yours

But, i researched that car and it was the color and model that i wanted. he stated he couldve ordered one, but I chose that

I was just assuming it wouldve been less than invoice since it technically wasnt new

But you live and learn i assume
And car dealers wonder why people dislike them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its prob too late to negotiate anything else, as in maintenance, oil changes?
How much would one expect 2000 miles to lower the price?
Or i assume i shouldnt worry about it anymore
I just bought the car Friday, 8/10

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the deal at this point. After all, it's done and there's nothing you can do about it.

Drive and enjoy.:29:

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
soldierguy is right, of course. You're happy with it and that's what matters. If you want to convince yourself the discount is insignificant, assume 15 cents per mile (same as in the lease). That's $300 and you can probably shrug that off as a lesson. Better yet, let the dealer make it up to you in synthetic oil changes.

Also, I expect the a 3-yr/36,000 mile warranty to start when I drive a new car off the lot. Your warranty should be good till 38,000 miles. So, enjoy the extra time when you're driving under warranty after other cars have come off.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I'd check the laws regarding new car sales in your state. In most cases it ceases to be a new vehicle after a certain amount of miles are reached. I don't think you'll need to lawyer up but you can probably get an extended warranty or a handfull of full synthetic oil changes thrown in. The latter shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Banned
238 Posts
nolasuba, what is the point of asking if it's already a done deal?
Is it late buyer's remorse kicking in?
Did you do your research before getting this car?
Of course, your could go way below invoice, especially on 2012 and with zero mileage. Dealers try hard to get rid of remnants of 2012 models.
My sister bought 2012 3.6R limited for about $800 below the invoice and zero mileage. She spent a week researching and negotiating this deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I researched to the point i knew which car i wanted, and the invoice and msrp prices. It was the color i wanted, and the 3.6 engine.
I didnt take into account the mileage and when would it affect the pricing
i believe i will look into some synthetic oil changes, or some other option
i gotta go back today anyway., so I will try to rationalize with the man in a nice way
And its not buyers remorse. I love the car; if its as someone mentioned above only a difference of $300 if u count 15 cents per mile, than its not that big of a deal
I guess i always feel like im getting screwed a little as im sure a lot of people do with dealerships.
But i like the 2012 a lot

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Buyers remorse is a common emotion after a big ticket purchase.
Live and learn.
There are a lot of definitions of "demo". To me it means a lot of WOT driving by different people during engine break-in.

·
Registered
2019 White Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
5 Posts
You got what you wanted. That's good. Over thousand's of miles and years of ownership the difference between the lower price you might have negotiated and what you paid will be pretty close to irrelevant.

And, hopefully, any bugs or problems with the car will have been taken care of. I don't imagine the dealership wanted a "test driver" to have any problems. Not cool if the car you're test driving quits or has other problems. Good way to loose a deal.

You'll do better next time.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
Take the advise of those who say not to worry about it. You will never always get the best deal. If the car treats you right then it's fine, and in a few months this will be a distant memory. I just bought my first Subaru. I'm sure if I posted what I paid there will be those who got a better deal and those who didn't. My perspective; If it works great and the company is good then I am happy. I bought a Montero years ago and got a great price on it. At 59k it ate a ring. 60k was the warranty and it took me months to get it honored after fighting with dealers and the head office. They finally fixed it but after a lot of pain. So did I get a good deal, I don't think so and I hated the fact that such a lousy company got any dollars from me and they never will again. If your car gives you good service I would say a couple hundred bucks over 10+ years of good service is a good deal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts