Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first Subaru. A 2002 LL Bean Outback Wagon in white. Has 252,000 on it with maintenance records. A large stack. Bought from original owner. It drives really nice. Had the oil cooler hose rupture less than 24 hours after buying it. Fortunately, it happened in the driveway after a drive. Replaced the cooler hose and found the radiator hose were newly replaced. Put coolant back in and all is well. I also changed the oil while I was at it. I've got to replace the orings in the a/c. It is empty. Also the front moon roof doesn't work but the rear does. I have a key fob that is with it but it is quirky. It will work but acts like a universal tv remote and goes into programming mode or something. I've got to get that figured out. The horn goes off Everytime I unlock it.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
some earlier models used the horn I think. Our 03 has a quiet-dedicated 'chirper'. (almost too quiet)

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Had the oil cooler hose rupture less than 24 hours after buying it.... ...
Replaced the cooler hose and found the radiator hose were newly replaced. Put coolant back in and all is well.
Multiple different cooling symptoms and failures on a recently sold H6 are ominous.

Keep your eyes on the temp gauge often or any flickers above normal range.

Hopefully just low odds coincidence, but this is how many recently bought used, H6 failed headgasket stories start. And I've seen them for sale exactly like this - a few signs the cooling system has been worked on/investigated, sometimes blatantly advertised as "fixed" a leak, but also having headgasket symptoms that most buyers wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
2000 Legacy Outback 2.5, 5 spd, and 2001 LLBean Outback
22 Posts
Multiple different cooling symptoms and failures on a recently sold H6 are ominous.

Keep your eyes on the temp gauge often or any flickers above normal range.

Hopefully just low odds coincidence, but this is how many recently bought used, H6 failed headgasket stories start. And I've seen them for sale exactly like this - a few signs the cooling system has been worked on/investigated, sometimes blatantly advertised as "fixed" a leak, but also having headgasket symptoms that most buyers wouldn't notice.
That's what happened to my '01 LL Bean, 3 months after buying it. I liked it enough to put in a JDM EZ30D, it drives like a new car now!

If the front moonroof will open with help, it will be easier to replace the assembly, if you want to use it. Many of them break the mechanism when trying to open them in the winter,when it is frozen.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,166 Posts
Just purchased my first Subaru. A 2002 LL Bean Outback Wagon in white. Has 252,000 on it with maintenance records. A large stack. Bought from original owner. It drives really nice. Had the oil cooler hose rupture less than 24 hours after buying it. Fortunately, it happened in the driveway after a drive. Replaced the cooler hose and found the radiator hose were newly replaced. Put coolant back in and all is well. I also changed the oil while I was at it. I've got to replace the orings in the a/c. It is empty. Also the front moon roof doesn't work but the rear does. I have a key fob that is with it but it is quirky. It will work but acts like a universal tv remote and goes into programming mode or something. I've got to get that figured out. The horn goes off Everytime I unlock it.
What?d you pay for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1000.00 sold it yesterday. Didn't make any money but someone I knew wanted it so I sold it for the money I had in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts